No announcement yet.

Slug Hunting.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hunt at night, with a salty bucket. There are no birds around at that time so I'm afraid to say that I am a murderer.
    I tried for years to just remove them to somewhere else, in a skip, down to the recycling place with garden waste, allsorts. I have spent hundreds of pounds providing them with rich, succulent, expensive slug food in the form of tender young plants and I decided enough was enough.
    I use oodles of salt and hot water. They are dead in seconds. I wouldn't be able to cope with a lingering death for them so I try not to be cruel.

Lynne x

Comment

I need some slugs - for an experiment I want to test their reaction to certain plants so I need a few captive slugs Haven't seen any yet this year and I really need to find the answer before planting time
      There is absolutely no need for anyone to send me some - Thanks

Comment

I'll probably have a salt bucket this year, last year they ate a lot of my crops. I'll also try coffee grinds, eggs shells, builders sand around things. And maybe some slug grug. I have put a pond in, so hopefully some frogs might set up home!
        http://togrowahome.wordpress.com/ making a house a home and a garden home grown.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          I need some slugs - for an experiment I want to test their reaction to certain plants so I need a few captive slugs Haven't seen any yet this year and I really need to find the answer before planting time
          There is absolutely no need for anyone to send me some - Thanks
          Nice to know VC and you want us to do or help with what ?
          I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
          sigpic

Comment

I want to work on deterrents rather than annihilation - and I have a cunning plan But I'm not telling you 'cos it'll probably be rubbish and you'll all laugh at me (and I'm not used to that )

Comment

Havn't seen many around so far. Hopefully yhe cold weather knocked them for 6 this year - please please please

Comment

I've not seen any big ones on the surface, but I've found lots of little ones when I've been digging or shifting cardboard around... I suspect they're in hiding waiting to pounce!!
                sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Not seen any at all since about November apart from two very tiny ones which I found deep inside one of my cabbages.

I'm sure that they are all waiting for me to plant out my tender seedlings before they all pounce!

I had to deal with ninja slugs last year as well......

Andy
                  http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

I was moving cardboard today and lots of slugs. I was looking closely and realised it was a newt. First I'd seen at the allotment. Moved it to a safer place.
                    http://togrowahome.wordpress.com/ making a house a home and a garden home grown.

Comment

Back out again tonight - 472 in an hour

I did spare the leopard slug,
                      Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

my neighbour collects them in a bucket and then takes them for a walk down to the bottom of the field and drop them off by the stream. i recon they walk back to are garden, we should paint them and see if they do walk back.
                        Rita

Comment

Snails do. Not sure about slugs - I don't give 'em the chance!
                          March is the new winter.

Comment

Just 396 tonight. Plenty more out there, but my back aches!
                            Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

On Radio 4 this morning they said the RHS has issued a warning that last year's wet weather has caused a huge slug baby boom, and that all the new slugs are just about to come out and decimate everything! I'm going to get some nematode treatment....
                              He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                                On Radio 4 this morning they said the RHS has issued a warning that last year's wet weather has caused a huge slug baby boom, and that all the new slugs are just about to come out and decimate everything! I'm going to get some nematode treatment....
                                Not news to us really is it?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X