I have a new hobby!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a new hobby!

My over-wintering chillies, which had been blemish and insect free on my spare room windowsill for weeks, suddenly became infested with wee beasties I turned my back for a couple of days to find them absolutely covered when I got home.

I washed the plants with the showerhead in the bath, and squished off whatever was left that I could find. A few days later though, the numbers are increasing again.

So I've found a new way to get the horrible little things. It's more agressive than hanging flypaper, and not quite as yeuch as squishing them, but at least as, if not more satisfying

I now dab strips of sellotape gently on my plant; the strips are thin enough for good access to tricky areas, and lift everything, adults and eggs! And you can inspect the strips afterwards and see the little b*ggers stuck there waving their legs helplessly in the air It's addictive!

Which also lets me try to see what I have. I thought I had whitefly, judging by the white debris under the plants which I took to be dead ones. On closer inspection, I have two different kinds of beastie, and I don't think either can fly. One is a light green aphid-looking thing (presumably a light green aphid ) and the other is similar in size, but is darker and striped. Any ideas?

Many thanks
    Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

That is a very unusual hobby you have there Caro, and probably very satisfying. Bit like when I have to look at my seeds every few hours to see if they have germinated
    Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

Originally posted by Caro View Post
      ... One is a light green aphid-looking thing (presumably a light green aphid ) and the other is similar in size, but is darker and striped. Any ideas? ...
      Dark striped Aphid!!!!?

Sounds like you're having great fun, anyway! LOL
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Is it raining????
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
          Is it raining????
          Errrrr? No

But keeping my precious chilli plants pest-free has become fun.
          Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

Just thought you'd nothing else to settle your desire to do stuff in the garden!

Actually- it's a darned good idea!- whenever I have basil plants they end up covered in white fly.
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Aphid nymphs don't have wings: they're still aphids (greenfly) though

I have them too, they're leaving a horrible sticky mess on the windowsills
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I had a big problem with scarab flies, and chopped down my overwintering chillies Still have a few dotted about the house but they aren't anywhere near as bad. Gonna treat everything with neem and gnat off again, and put an inch of sand over my bigger houseplants. Little buggers!

Wish I'd thought of the sellotape trick though, that sounds brilliiant! What about getting double sided tape and sticking one side to some yellow paper then hanging it up...would be funyn to catch them on it

Comment

Scarab flies ???? I tried googling, but got mainly beetles and a reference to how to defeat the scarab in Halo Oh, and one "medicinal marijuana" site but I didn't want to click into there

I chopped my chillies down a bit too, with the first invasion, but i'm optimistic they'll be fine.

What is scarab fly?

Thanks
                  Caro

Comment

BT means scariad or sciarid (fungus gnat, from the family Sciaridae)
                    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 16-11-2010, 09:45 AM.
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      Aphid nymphs don't have wings: they're still aphids (greenfly) though

I have them too, they're leaving a horrible sticky mess on the windowsills
                      GROSS. I blame you, TS. I decided to google nymphs and have now read up on way too much detail about aphids and their sexual habits, or a-sexual habits, or egg-laying habits, or live-bearing habits. And I never knew they moulted, hence the what looks like dead white flies lying around.

Gross, but fascinating stuff. It will make my sellotape inspection tonight all the more interesting!

Now just to work out the ones with the stripe
                      Caro

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X