Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a lovely bunch you all are. Thanks for the advice and symathy.
    BB

Comment

• I am hedging my bets; growing in greenhouse, garden and lottie and also have sprayed the lottie ones as these got it worse last year. I like being organic but I like having tomatoes better.

It's heartbreaking to put all that work in and lose the lot overnight. I do feel for you.
      Last edited by zazen999; 24-07-2009, 10:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rustylady View Post
        What a shame!! I've given up growing tomatoes outdoors for that very reason. If the green tomatoes look OK you can make green tomato chutney with them
        And green tomato wine is great I often pray for enough green toms to make chutney and wine with
        Last edited by pdblake; 24-07-2009, 10:19 AM.
        Urban Escape Blog

Comment

• green tomato wine??? sounds interesting - tell me more.

Comment

• I have blight in one bed of tomatoes so far. Does anyone know if tomatillos get it? They're in the same bed....

Comment

• may have been hasty, it may be botrytis...

Comment

• Either/or taff, chopping off the leaves is the way to go, better airflow will help to keep botrytis at bay. Not sure if tomatillos can get blight? but they can definitely suffer with botrytis.

Comment

• Thanks Sarz
                  I had a panic attack and pulled up three plants, and de-leafed a third, then partly de-leafed most of the tomatoes in the bed at the other end of the garden.
                  I defnitely over-crowded them in the bed that the affected plants were in, so hopefully it isn't blight...will go and check again when I'm dressed...

Comment

• nope, it's blight.
                    bugger.

Comment

• I am pretty sure that this is early blight on my mayan potatoes. Can anyone confirm this for me. I am brand new at growing veg. I also have 'blue' potatoes but they have no marks on the leaves at all and are planted next to the mayans.

Attached Files

Comment

• I think they are very suspect... Get all the affected foliage chopped off, and keep a close eye on them, if it looks like it's spreading, take the whole top of the plants off and then wait for a dry day in 2-3 weeks to dig them up.
                        Rotten luck for you

Comment

• Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                          I think they are very suspect... Get all the affected foliage chopped off, and keep a close eye on them, if it looks like it's spreading, take the whole top of the plants off and then wait for a dry day in 2-3 weeks to dig them up.
                          Rotten luck for you
                          I've just been out to take the leaves of that have the brown circles. I cant complain as this is my first year of growing anything outside and I have had and still have beetroot, carrots, sugar snap peas, onions and sprint onions that will keep me going for a good while,

Thaks for the info.

Comment

• How long have they been planted? You might well still get a crop, albeit a bit smaller than normal. Fingers crossed for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                              Welcome to the Vine Jen
                              I'm sorry it's not a more auspicious welcome, but, those plants do look decidedly iffy
                              I'd be cutting off every piece of affected foliage you can see - you might not get much crop from those particular plants, but you may be able to keep the others healthy until they get a bit bigger?! I guess it has to be worth a go at saving the others and spraying them, if they aren't showing any signs...
                              It's very disheartening when it happens, but don't let it put you off - maybe try some blight resistant types next year, or plant salad types a bit earlier so as to harvest before the main blight hits?
                              Hello again.

I just wanted to update you about my blighted tatties. I did as you suggested and took off each affected piece of foliage and left the tatties in the ground. The humidity eased off so it did seem to calm down but I noticed the last couple of days the stems seemed to be getting affected so decided to dig them up this afternoon.

WOW! It stank! Disgusting - exploding seed tatties which had turned to jelly / goo which was rank and smelled foul BUT the tatties themselves were fab (or seemed to be?!) We dug up about 30kg of tatties and some were huge - absolute stonkers but I am worried about keeping them now? Will they start honking too? It's hard to describe how bad the smell was but I swear the tatties are lovely (had some for tea!).

Again I'd be grateful for your advice. I think I need to make sure the tatties are dry and dark and just keep a check on them - apparently I'll smell it before I see it - but they should be ok to eat?

Thanks.
                              Jen x

PS OMG. The smell....

Comment

• After my little panic I cut off all my brown leaves and nothing further has materialised. However I was wonderin if it would be ok to use Bordeaux mix just to try and keep blight away? I've ordered some so I'm thinking I'll be giving them one spray anyway, but I was wondering is it could be used prophylactically.

Angela

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X