This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lavenderblue View Post
    oh dear, it looks like I have tomato blight. Its all over the allotment so it was just a matter of time. That will be the third year running I have lost my entire crop of toms to it. At least we managed to lift our early spuds I am actually a bit upset. Never mind, I will have to save up to buy a greenhouse...and some land on which to put it. le sigh.
    I'm in the same boat LB - all gone for the 3rd year running .... but I put 6 tommies in 10l buckets (99p each from wilko) at home and they are fine at the mo - if they work well, I'll not put tommies in at the Hill again - too depressing when they succumb!

Have you a little room at home/patio/courtyard where you could do some instead?

Comment

• Hi Hazel, thank you for your commiserations! I do have a few outside on the patio but during the last two years they got blight too. I got 4 ripe tomatoes out of 9 plants last year. i did actually do a bit of sobbing at that point. They look OK at the moment, we are being super careful but I fear it is just a matter of time
      We plant the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed - Neil, The Young Ones

http://countersthorpeallotment.blogspot.com/
      Updated 21st July - please take a look

Comment

• I have had some patches of blight on my tom leaves, and have removed the offending branches.

However, the thick main stem on each plant has turned black/dark brown at most of the branch junctions. Could blight appear on the stems to?

If I haven't been clear then I'll take some pics for you.

Comment

• Post some pics quick cosmo and dibs. If it is blight you will need to take off any toms and keep your fingers crossed that they are not infected. You will also need to pull up the plants and dispose of them preferably by burning.General consensus is do NOT compost.

Comment

• Black patches on the stems doesn't sound too promising

Comment

• Hello again.

I think I've got paranoid now. I'm out every five minutes looking at my tomato plants. Now I've spotted dark patches and (again) not sure if this is blight. Below are a few pic's.

Off the same plant.

(Dark patches on the stalks above the toms).

Off the same plant, but a different one to above. And a different growbag.

These patches are on the same branch. The area with the two sploges are close to the stem, I say stem, but it might be the stem itself as my plants are Y shaped. The pic below it is a bit further up.

Is it blight?
              Last edited by Sunflower86400; 05-08-2009, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• That's what my stems are now looking like.........

Comment

• Oh noooooooo! They are the only patches I have of 6 plants. I had every intention of spraying but haven't yet because it has continually rained, until today. Will this help if I do it today?

Comment

• I am getting very nervous now and am checking my plants every day! No sign of anything yet though, it my first year growing and I have load of plants with loads of tomatoes, I woudl be devastated if I lost them!

Is it best to spray anyway just in case and if so what should I spray them with?

Comment

• It was blight here earlier - but it's just clouded over and looks very much like rain.
                      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

• Well that's good HeyWayne.

I keep looking on the blight side and hopefully it will blighten up a bit more down here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunflower86400 View Post

Is it blight?
                          Yes. Sorry.

Comment

• Thanks Grapes for the bad news.

Not nice for you to be telling me I know. I'm so upset and disappointed. There isn't a 'smiley' with tears on it. There should be one. I had no idea that I would get so attached to my plants. Chutney it is then.

They all look so healthy apart from those bits. What shall I do now? Pick what's there or leave until it's gets worse and pick before it's gets too bad. Do I need only get rid of the plants that are infected or will the others go the same since they are sharing growbags.

What would you suggest?

PS: And the sun has been out today.

Comment

• The stems on 2 of my toms in the greenhouse have gone black (one almost all the stem and the other just a patch) they have been under a dripping roof the others are fine, they have been like this for over a week and dont seem to have got worse, is it blight?

Comment

• I'm soaking wet having been out in the garden for ages trying to prune blight affected leaves of the tomatoes. A couple have patches on the stem and I'm not hopeful. Will see what tomorrow brings. Luckily we sowed bush tomatoes first then some cordon ones which are randomly dotted around but mostly in a plastic greenhouse. Am hoping they will be OK if we lose the bush ones. Combined with my lack of aubergines on my aubergines and the slugs having munched my spring onions, it's not the best of gardening days.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X