Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bokashi composting

Has anyone tried this form of composting and if so, does it work
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Rary I’ve found a mention of bokashi here on this thread.

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...en#post2546948

Hope it helps until someone comes along who can answer your queries.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

This is the link I put on the other thread Rary….

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...t-modification
      Last edited by Nicos; 27-02-2024, 08:29 PM.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Many thanks girls, evidently Snoop has/uses this form of composting, on further searching of this way of composting I think emptying the bin into a load of horse manure would help clean it up of any pollutants, I am very wary of using horse manure as the last time I used it my harvest was atrocious, which of courses was due to the feeding being treated with a herbicide, I know using worm juice on contaminated manure will clean it up, so evidently a​​​​ high microbial count works
        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
          Many thanks girls, evidently Snoop has/uses this form of composting, on further searching of this way of composting I think emptying the bin into a load of horse manure would help clean it up of any pollutants, I am very wary of using horse manure as the last time I used it my harvest was atrocious, which of courses was due to the feeding being treated with a herbicide, I know using worm juice on contaminated manure will clean it up, so evidently a​​​​ high microbial count works
          It sounds interesting but pricey? Do you have to keep buying the bokashi bran? Whereas our 25 year old wormery still has its 'original' worms.
          To see a world in a grain of sand
          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post

It sounds interesting but pricey? Do you have to keep buying the bokashi bran? Whereas our 25 year old wormery still has its 'original' worms.
            You could always make your own bran, not 100% sure but reading about bokashi and the fact that you get a white substance if it's working properly, I wonder if you could cultivate your own bacteria using banana peel as I have noticed that there is usually white substance on them when in the compost bin, and as I intend trying this system out I will trial that out. No doubt some others can provide the proper technical names for the white stuff, but white substance does fine for me

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post

You could always make your own bran, not 100% sure but reading about bokashi and the fact that you get a white substance if it's working properly, I wonder if you could cultivate your own bacteria using banana peel as I have noticed that there is usually white substance on them when in the compost bin, and as I intend trying this system out I will trial that out. No doubt some others can provide the proper technical names for the white stuff, but white substance does fine for me
              I look forward to read your scientific reports. No really, it sounds interesting. I think I may have missed the main point but what is the 'end product'?

Comment

Ment to say in last post yes I agree with what you say about the wormery, but having one myself there are some materials that don't go into it, like meat, orange peel, onions and the likes, which can go into the bokashi bin and as I have lost two thriving worm communities to flatworms, and as we will be getting charged £50 for our brown bin uplifts buying bran won't be too expensive

Comment

Rary, I'm not sure the contents of a bokashi bin would necessarily clean up herbicide contaminants. I've never tried it for that and couldn't guarantee that it would work. But tipping your finished bokashi into a compost bin really is effective: the original material in the bin breaks down a lot faster once the bokashi bin contents have been piled on top.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                    Rary, I'm not sure the contents of a bokashi bin would necessarily clean up herbicide contaminants. I've never tried it for that and couldn't guarantee that it would work. But tipping your finished bokashi into a compost bin really is effective: the original material in the bin breaks down a lot faster once the bokashi bin contents have been piled on top.
                    I wondered about that too. But then I thought about where 'dirty' water is cleaned by being streamed through 'reeds'. I'm struggling to find the right words there, but water can be cleaned by plants, so is this similar?

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post

I wondered about that too. But then I thought about where 'dirty' water is cleaned by being streamed through 'reeds'. I'm struggling to find the right words there, but water can be cleaned by plants, so is this similar?
                      Seeing as I know next to nothing about this, I had a look to see what I could find out. Reed beds are a form of waste water treatment, but Rary is suggesting something quite different, which is treating solids.

I did, however, find a couple of websites that suggest I was wrong to doubt you, rary, and which support your view that composting will help remove pesticides and herbicides by breaking them down. Have a look here:
                      https://www.planetnatural.com/compos...ns/pesticides/
                      and
                      https://bokashiliving.com/should-you...ic-food-waste/

Also, you can buy the microorganisms for making bokashi bran at the big river online shop (in Spain at least) and probably other places.
                      Last edited by Snoop Puss; 05-03-2024, 09:09 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=smallblueplanet;n2576027]

I wondered about that too. But then I thought about where 'dirty' water is cleaned by being streamed through 'reeds'. I'm struggling to find the right words there, but water can be cleaned by plants, so is this similar?[/QUOTE

Not sure but I think dirty water would be cleaned by filtration, (water going through the growing medium,) the contaminants which would be trapped in the medium would be broken down by bacterial action making nutrients available to the plants, this of course in my part is purely hypothetical, no doubt someone with some scientific knowledge can provide a better answer.
                        Last edited by rary; 05-03-2024, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                          Snoop when I had a problem with contaminated horse manure I looked for ways of clearing up the soil, and one of the ways suggested was to spray the ground where contaminated horse manure had been used with the liquid contents of a vermicomposter (worm juice) which would breakdown the herbicide so I thought it must be by microbes present in the juice as, if it was simply spraying liquid on it the rain would clean it up, so assuming I was correct about the microbes, bokashi compost is full of microbes, so worth trying it on some contaminated horse manure, though it must be remembered to assume something can make an ass of you and me

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X