Compost bin for kitchen

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compost bin for kitchen

Hi guys, I'm looking for the suggestion which compost bin will be better for kitchen use. I don't have much experience with this, so looking for what are the other peoples use here.
    Thanks

I assume you mean a small container to keep in the kitchen for vegetable scraps, which is then emptied into the compost bin in the garden?
    I use a small pedal bin with a removable inner caddy. Being a pedal bin means it stays lidded to keep flies out and we don't need to actually touch the lid to open it, and the inner caddy makes it easy to empty as you can just slide that bit out and take it down the garden.

Comment

We were given a very swish, and I guess quite expensive, Simplehuman compost caddy with a carbon odor filter in the lid.

All very fine and good, but you still have empty the damn thing or the contents turn into a kind of evil seething gleet in a day or two.

We now take kitchen waste directly to the compost heap and only get the caddy out when we think the donors may be about to visit.

I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Hello and welcome to the Vine, Kenny.

I keep a bokashi bin in the kitchen. Doesn't smell, doesn't attract flies and works well. I have two of these bins. Once one is full, I take it somewhere shady outdoors to mature. Then, when the one in the kitchen is full, I swap them, empty the first one I took out into the compost bin, rinse it out a bit (probably not necessary though) and then take that into the kitchen.

Comment

Interesting Snoop Puss
          I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
            Hello and welcome to the Vine, Kenny.

I keep a bokashi bin in the kitchen. Doesn't smell, doesn't attract flies and works well. I have two of these bins. Once one is full, I take it somewhere shady outdoors to mature. Then, when the one in the kitchen is full, I swap them, empty the first one I took out into the compost bin, rinse it out a bit (probably not necessary though) and then take that into the kitchen.
            I like the sound of that Snoop thanks for sharing
            Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
            Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

Originally posted by peanut View Post

I like the sound of that Snoop thanks for sharing
              It really helps to compost the contents of the dalek too once tipped in. One thing, it does smell a bit odd in the dalek for a few days if you have yours close to the house. Like fermented fruit, not gassy cabbage smell. Mr Snoop isn't too keen but I don't mind.

Comment

Snoop Puss Do you have to inoculate it with fresh bran/bacteria after each empty out?

Comment

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
                  Snoop Puss Do you have to inoculate it with fresh bran/bacteria after each empty out?
                  Every time you add some waste to the bin, you add a small amount of bran. My bin came with a measuring scoop. I'd say I add a couple of tablespoons' worth each time. I also sprinkle a bit at the bottom of the bin after I've emptied it. So you do have to keep buying the bran I'm afraid.

Comment

I've heard of bokashi bins but didn't know how they worked thanks Snoop.

Me I've got a simple bucket with lid, shredding or ripped up newspaper goes in the bottom just because it makes tipping it into my Dalek easier with us using loose leaf tea.
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X