Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pyrennees Plot, your first pic is probably the six-spot burnet, Six-spot Burnet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not sure about the fritillaries, I've only ever seen a few "in the flesh" when on holiday with parents many years ago and a lot of them are pretty similar without checking the underside.

But my guess is a heath fritillary, which is pretty variable in its markings, e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heath_Fritillary. I've never seen this one outside of pictures so I'm jealous. Though it's supposed to be making a comeback here in the UK so maybe one day...

Did you find it in heathland, scrub or woodland clearings where this one likes to hang out?
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• Thanks Martin.

I tought the first one was probably a six spot, although my guide book has green forewings and this one was very dark blue, much more like the Wiki pics. Habbitat is right as we have a lot of trefoils and the like.

The Fritillary refused to shut its wings accept to fly and then it was too fast to see any distinguishing features! It was flying around a boundary hedge and yes, we have scrub behind. The hedge itself is just regenerated scrub that is clipped from time to time! There is no heathland, but on the other side of the garden there is 3.5km of managed mixed woodland, with lots of clearings from cutting.
      Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Something lurking in the Rhodies.

Taken at Loch Awe in the Spring.

Dave

Comment

• Ringlet butterfly and more bees!

I believe this is the same Ringlet butterfly but within a few minutes of flying around it had lost part of its wing UK Butterflies - Ringlet - Aphantopus hyperantus

Can you see the pollen baskets, laden with pollen
          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]38125[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]38126[/ATTACH]
            I believe this is the same Ringlet butterfly but within a few minutes of flying around it had lost part of its wing...
            a lucky escape from a bird attack methinks
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

• I'm no sure about that Nick as I followed it around the garden trying to take a decent photo. It flew from the jasmine in the first piccy to some loganberries, then to the honeysuckle, then down to the montbretia in the 2nd pic. Maybe it got snagged on the loganberries - or there were 2 of them
              Lovely to see it though

Comment

• Young woodpigeon fallen from nest

Found this little fella this morning - thought it was a baby rabbit until I saw its beak. Its under a big, ivy-covered ash tree and I guess the nest is in there.
                I'm going to leave it be and hope that the parents care for it.
                Attached Files

Comment

Found this little fella this morning - thought it was a baby rabbit until I saw its beak. Its under a big, ivy-covered ash tree and I guess the nest is in there.
                  I'm going to leave it be and hope that the parents care for it.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]38162[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]38163[/ATTACH]
                  Apparently it's not unusual for fledglings of many species to spend time on the ground after leaving the nest for the first time. Their parents still feed them during this time, then they fly and perch. Bit dodgy from the preditor point of view, though.
                  "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

• Bird table activity

Thought people might like to see some of our visitors. The pics are taken through a window so excuse the quality.

The jays haven't brought their young to feed, yet unlike the guy below who has raised at least 4 again this year despite a late start. (We thought we'd lost him. This male is tiny but really agressive so we know him by sight, he's in his third year of rearing.)

He's only got one youngster parked in the twigs but he quite often has three or four waiting their turns sitting on fence posts in an orderly queue.

Finally, I'm sure someone will tell me they have had magpies doing this for years on their feeder but this is a first for us. He or she is the only one who has cracked it and family members sit on the table watching in awe. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they can all do it.

Attached Files

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

• Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
                      Apparently it's not unusual for fledglings of many species to spend time on the ground after leaving the nest for the first time. Their parents still feed them during this time, then they fly and perch. Bit dodgy from the preditor point of view, though.
                      He took himself off into the bushes but I've just seen him again about 20' away from the ash tree. TBH he doesn't look too good. I've put water down near him but I don't want to adopt a woodpigeon

Comment

He took himself off into the bushes but I've just seen him again about 20' away from the ash tree. TBH he doesn't look too good. I've put water down near him but I don't want to adopt a woodpigeon
                        Have you seen the adults feeding him? If not can you see the nest to get it back into?

Comment

• I've been out all day M and he was missing when I left. I've no idea where the nest is -somewhere in the ivy probably or in next door's conifers

Comment

I've been out all day M and he was missing when I left. I've no idea where the nest is -somewhere in the ivy probably or in next door's conifers
                            Hard isn't it? As you say who wants a wood pigeon but as you know you are talking to someone who hand reared a magpie!

Comment

• It is hard - I hoped he would be looked after by his parents! Realistically, I can't hand-rear it because I would have to take it for long weekends in Carmarthenshire When I was down to one chook, she'd come with me, but a woodpigeon is a bit different somehow

Comment

• Dragon and damsel flies making use of the new pond.

Attached Files
                                Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X