This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lovely piccies Steve!

We live in a Longere ( longhouse) and the birds can see right through from front to back and some try and take what they think is a shortcut Most seem to recover but sadly we’ve had a few broken necks over the years .

My MIL had a massive bedroom window and one day the alarm was set off. No signs of a break in , but on the outside of her window was the massive dusty outline of a seagull with wings stretched out! I’d never realised what huge wingspans they have!!
    Poor thing must of had one heck of a headache, but it was nowhere to be seen.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• They where in two locations, close to a bird bath and food, both buildings had small pane windows into which they flew. Our larger windows have large transfers of birds of prey in the corner which alarms them. I imagine something frightened them and in alarm went in the wrong direction. We have Magpies, Griffon Vultures and many birds of prey very close.
      Bearn, Pyrenees Atlantique France

Comment

• We have been rammed by the odd wood pigeon over the years.
        The last one just got up and flew off again.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0788.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	2516511
        Last edited by Plot70; 28-01-2021, 05:12 AM.
        Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

• Garden was jumping with birds yesterday. Flock of long tits came with some pals - blue tits, coal tit, great tits, chaffinches and nuthatches. Lovely to see redwings and tree creepers, don’t see them often. Saw a pair of bull-finches today bit of a treat.

Comment

• with all the things that have gone one here over the last few years - my feeders have been missed out - I tried some fat balls but they don't leike them ( luckily the chikens don't mind them

But when I had my big feeder at the bottom of the garden we used to get flocks of siskins, redpolls and goldfinches in the garden ... but we've only ever had Bullfinches once - eaating the berries on the honeysuckle So well done on yours.
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

• My main problem has been finding a place for the bird feeder that the squirrels can’t leap onto. Finally found a combination of placement and Nyger seeds that they are less keen on is enough to mainly stop them eating all the bird food . We are lucky to have large mature trees just beyond our garden that the birds love and in winter with less leaves on them you can see more I find.

Comment

• You've probably got a lot more squirrels than you think.
                I thought I only had six. The fox ended up getting twenty-three Mc Tufties! There are still two.
                Now I only fill feeders once a week rather than three times. I've also had first intact crop of plums and my magnolia hasn't been stripped of flower buds.
                Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

• We don’t get foxes around ours,I saw this video the other day,I didn’t know they were so playful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tymu-TcNWYE

Comment

• ^^^^ lovely!
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• In the last few days Click image for larger version

Name:	P3010025 (Large).JPG
Views:	121
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	2518562 Butterflies are emerging Blue Holly Celastrina argiolus

Comment

• one of the earlier butterflies if memory serves ... not seen any yet down the lotty where we have holly. Lovely little things, I quite got into butterflies and the likes and used to foto loads of them.
                        ntg

Comment

• I am potty about Butterflies I have photographed 102 species to date. Here the Red Admirals and Brimstones have seen the winter through with an odd Peacock

Comment

• Originally posted by stevejelf View Post
                            I am potty about Butterflies I have photographed 102 species to date. Here the Red Admirals and Brimstones have seen the winter through with an odd Peacock
                            this was hibernating in my little mancave till recently when he/she decided to go. Click image for larger version

Name:	tort.PNG
Views:	167
Size:	317.2 KB
ID:	2518569
                            ntg

Comment

• A lovely Small Tortoiseshell

Comment

• Foxy visitor in my garden yesterday afternoon (there are a lot around but not that often during the daytime. I caught him eying up the hotbin with which the foxes are unhealthily obsessed (I often find unspeakable donations on top).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210301_090659_302.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	2519099

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X