No announcement yet.

Making a new wildlife pond

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It worries me if a hedgehog falls in,I piled some large stones up at the side of my little water feature next to this plant in the photo. Frogs need something too they can’t jump out of water & would be stuck in there unable to climb out. We had a newt & toads over the years,that’s a plastic duck incase it looks real in the photo that pot does pour water out of it I just never plug it in,it makes a little humming sort of noise,I can’t remember but if there’s moving water you can put some of the barley straw in some old pair of tights to sink in the water,to help against pond weed,our cat likes drinking out of it even though there’s two cat bowls of fresh water daily on the patio,I find that really strange he must like the taste of plant -
    Click image for larger version

Name:	7BD53CCA-047E-48E1-AC32-F52A56A30BB9.jpeg
Views:	228
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2501239

Comment

Name:	DSC02764.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	2505447
      The wildlife pond is maturing nicely

Comment

That's looking fantastic Burnie!
        Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
        Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
        https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
        Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Thanks, I planted the ragged robin and forget me nots along with water mint and the plants in pots under water, quite a few other plants seem to be finding their way in and we have water boatmen, diving beetles, pond skaters and damsel fly larvae living in there too. We had a frog visit , but that has gone, hopefully we might get some tadpoles next year, need to keep the slug numbers down lol.

Comment

Autumn update, I am moving one or two plants into the deeper water for the winter, the Yellow flag Iris might be going into the bog garden next year, so I will remove it from it's pot in the Spring. I'm removing some of the fallen leaves, but not all, they will create habitat for the wildlife.

Name:	DSC02791.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	2510886

Comment

Pond update...........................................we have a Smooth Newt, not sure if it's on it's own as it's started raining so we came inside and stopped watching.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                Pond update...........................................we have a Smooth Newt, not sure if it's on it's own as it's started raining so we came inside and stopped watching.
                We have had them every yr now since they appeared. Babies too
                Northern England.

Comment

Last August I thought for a few moments we had an oil slick.
                  On closer examination it was living and was made up of thousands of little insects.
                  It did not last long as inch long water beetles arrived and ate the lot.

Name:	DSCF6300E.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	2524961Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6302C.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	2524962
                  Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Just been to Dobbies in Monifeith, first visit to a garden centre for over a year, bought a Marsh Marigold that is now planted in the bog garden by the pond, plants are mostly showing signs of growing, but not all, the surprise is the Lotus that we grew from seeds, looks like 3 have survived the winter.

Comment

I only have a small pond. What pond plants can anyone recommend for it? Id like something to help clean the pond too. I do have newts but would like to attract other things, maybe dragonflies as we do get them around here.
                      Northern England.

Comment

I'm surprised by how quickly certain insects, etc. move in, even into something which isn't really a pond.
                        I have a bathtub half filled with soil and then filled up with water, in which I am attempting to grow lotuses. It's only been there for a couple months and it's swarming with water fleas, along with a fair number of water beetles (which are presumably eating the water fleas).

Comment

Small ponds can get swamped with certain plants, some are a bit thuggish, I have Hornwort for an oxygenator, a water lily, water hyacinth, a yellow flag Iris,
                          a bog bean and some reeds, I have gone for native plants rather than imports, bought on line not in pots saved quite a lot of money.

Comment

I've just been looking at some. I see what you mean . Some can take over. Definitely native better. I have yellow flag in the garden already , appeared from somewhere. Trying to take over.
                            I've looked at Water forget me not and Water violet as oxygenator.
                            Northern England.

Comment

I have forget me not in the bog garden at the side along with Ragged Robin and Marsh Marigold.

Comment

We have copulating Newts!, definite signs of hanky panky going on, I would have thought it was a bit late, will keep an eye out for tadpoles over the next few weeks, looks like there's 3 females and a male, fascinating watching the miniature wildlife.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X