No announcement yet.

Making a new wildlife pond

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was an old bath on my allotment when I took it over in December.
    The previous plot holder had given up because the top soil is not deep enough.
    I delved in with a wrecking bar and got it in as an overflow pool for the shed water butt.
    I have added a wiggly line of silicone rubber for frogs to climb in and out and provided plants with leaves that hang into the water for sheltered entering and leaving.
    A single frog has arrived so far.
    Attached Files
    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
      Still too cold for proper gardening so more work round the pond, I was pleasantly surprised to receive my order of pond plants, so they were placed in the water, they do look lonely, over £40's worth and you have to play hunt the plant, I hope they spread out a bit.
      The edges of the pond are almost done, I have created a trench with the liner then placed in it and backfilled with soil to create a bog garden round the edge.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]90892[/ATTACH]
      I love the mossy stones you are using for edging. Very beautiful.
      Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

The stones have been in the garden since we bought it, they used to mark a circle round the old apple trees, until I had to chop them down last Autumn. Once there a few plants growing over and through them I hope they will give a natural look.

Comment

An update shot with some plants slowly growing and the blanket weed not growing slowly, if that was edible I'd be setting up a stall at the farmers market lol
          Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02739.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	2500689

Comment

That looks fantastic Burnie! I hope to get a wildlife pond in this Autumn, like you I've got a bath to use for the deepest bit.
            Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
            Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
            https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
            Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Use a spirit level to get it straight is the best advice I could offer.

Comment

I just built a wee pond last week. Best thing so far is that I put some watercress and it has already rooted. A Hoverfly is spending lots of time around it and there are tiny creatures in it today which I think might be some kind of insect larvae.
                Attached Files

Comment

Remember to give the watercress a proper wash if you harvest any to eat.

Comment

Will do but hadn’t been thinking of harvesting it. It was for some cover and oxygenation in the water. Certainly the pond started a bit murky and muddy but now is pretty clear.

Comment

Mine has stayed murky and muddy as a large common frog keeps jumping in and out and spends quite a lot of time rooting around in the bottom stirring up the silt at the bottom.
                      It gets topped up if the water but fills otherwise I have to let some rain water from the hose.
                      I seeded it with some green water out of a very old water butt.
                      There were a lot of mosquito grubs in there until some red figure eights appeared. I think these are sun fly lava.
                      Sun flies do look like hover flies and I have seen them flying over the water.
                      https://www.ispotnature.org/communit...haired-sun-fly

Comment

We have some awesome Damsel fly larvae, no idea where they came from as we've not seen any adults around, they are fearsome predators and growing like mad.

Comment

Wondering if the wee wriggly things might be mosquito larvae. That seems quite common in newly created ponds.

Comment

I know what mosquito lava look like.
                            The numbers declined once the red lava appeared so they will be eating them.
                            There is a large common frog that spends a lot of time around my pond. It spends a lot of time diving and resting at the bottom of the rubber ladder I created.
                            Toads just jump in and after a dip work there way round to the ladder and climb out again.
                            The frog will certainly enjoy eating some of the adult insects and may even have a go at some of the lava.

Comment

As well as the terrestrial insect larvae, we now have diving beetles, water boatman, snails and pond skaters breeding in the pond, fascinating watching the water.

Comment

Today there was lots of flies that can land on the water as well as hard surfaces.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6044E.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	2501024

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...