No announcement yet.

Cucurbit Growing 2018

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing catch-up because of the weather - so cukes, courgettes and squash will wait til I've finished planting the main crop potatoes and sown all the peas and other hardy veg.
    Here, the tender stuff doesn't get planted out til after mid-May so I'm not in any hurry tbh

Comment

I would, Cycling.

Eric, I've grown Crown Prince. Lovely, flattish, big round blueish squash with delicious flesh. It's a proper rambling vine of a plant so you may need to persuade it to head in the right direction. I love the mad, exuberant growth of squashes, so I like that it does that. I've had decent crops up here, on indifferent soil at the time, so I'd say it's a reasonable performer, weather permitting.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post

The squares I plan to plant them into are currently taken up by autumn sown broad beans. I expect these won’t be done until mid June, so should I hold off on sowing my cucumber seeds for a few weeks?
        I'd get them sown, then as they get bigger they can just go in larger pots ending up in the garden when you have space. Or you could compromise and sow a few now and a few in a month's time, so with a bit of luck you'll get peak crops at different times.

Comment

I haven’t even started planting my main crop potatoes,I’m really behind this year. Cucumbers get planted outside in June here,I start them around the last week of April.

TCP when the beans have finished you could cut them down,leave the root in there to feed the soil,there might be enough space between beans to put a cucumber plant in early if you have to,you don’t need to dig much of a hole to plant the cucumber they like being on a little mound so they don’t have water round the stem,half bury a little water bottle with the end cut off next to it,then you can water into the bottle so water gets to the base of the roots you know

Comment

my cukes are coming right on, third sets of leaves, and thirsty! I need to re-water them almost every day.
            Problem is I need to put the tomatoes in first in the greenhouse. Oh well, that's next weekend's activity sorted - trip to the greenhouse.

Comment

Sowed 2 Courgette seeds on saturday. I normally only grow 1 but this year im going all mental haha.

Comment

I have just one cucumber seedling (at the seed leaf stage) at the moment. End of April is courgette planting time and the rest of the cucumbers will go in then too. Melons wait until mid-May.
                A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

1Bee, thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to growing them.

Comment

Sown my two cucumber seeds for the year today! 'Swing' new one for me.
                    Last edited by bario1; 19-04-2018, 08:38 PM. Reason: typo
                    He-Pep!

Comment

^^^ and they're up! ^^^
                      He-Pep!

Comment

I sowed a Natsu Fushinari cucumber on the 4th April, and only today did the seed leaves finally appear. Hoping this isn't an ill omen and just reflective of how cold the last 2 weeks were!

Comment

My early sown squash are doing well. Some have produced their first flowers and I even have the tiniest patty pan starting to grow. They've been enjoying some time outside in the sun but since the warm weather is only temporary they are not going out yet. I might move them to the greenhouse though.

Comment

Small sugar pumpkin, Tromboncino courgette, Femspot cucumber have all germinated
                            It's a start.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                              I sowed Beth/Beit Alpha cucumbers and Zucchini courgettes on 20th January.
                              Here's one of the Beth's today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9501.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	2377401

Comment

Hi VC, Beth is a pretty girl did you grow her under lights? I've only just put my cucumber seedlings under basic led lights a week ago so obviously only just starting to produce true leaves. With such dull days I don't think they would've grown at all without lights.

Thanks

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X