Cucurbit Growing 2018

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're such a show off .
    They look great VC but Those pictures aren't helping me not sow my courgettes early .

Comment

I'm not showing off - just trying to get you to ignore the rules and follow your heart.
      It may surprise you to hear that I have a lot of seeds, so I've thrown caution to the winds and sown them at a time when everyone says you shouldn't - just for the hell of it.
      If it works, great, if it doesn't, it doesn't matter as I still have time to sow when everyone else does.
      Go on - try a few, you know you want to.

Comment

You just reminded me. I mixed 3 packets of tomatoes (sow by 2014) with a bit of compost and scattered them over the wall. I'm hoping some will germinate, it'll be cool having tomatoes growing in amongst the hedge.

Back to cucurbits talk now ........... sorry!

Comment

I love squashes and last year wasn't the best year for them so I decided to sow some early ones too. I have plenty of seed and will still sow them again at the usual time.
          I sowed
          pumpkins - racer, hooligan, random Halloween and big pumpkin.
          Butternut - Waltham, sweet max and Inca gold
          Summer squash - patty pan, fruit rond, trombocino, golden crookneck
          Winter squash - kuchi kuri and autumn crown
          The only one that didn't come up was trombocino.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowwhyte View Post
            I love squashes and last year wasn't the best year for them so I decided to sow some early ones too. I have plenty of seed and will still sow them again at the usual time.
            I sowed
            pumpkins - racer, hooligan, random Halloween and big pumpkin.
            Butternut - Waltham, sweet max and Inca gold
            Summer squash - patty pan, fruit rond, trombocino, golden crookneck
            Winter squash - kuchi kuri and autumn crown
            The only one that didn't come up was trombocino.
            It was the only sensible one, it knew it was too early Haha!

Comment

Despite the cold weather having squash growin makes me feel like summer will soon be here.
              Attached Files

Comment

This year I'm going to try something with cucurbits I haven't tried before. I've moved my various compost daleks etc to positions on the veg beds, rather than tucked away out of sight, and in May I'm going to plant out some cucurbit plants into the bins full of rotted compost - perhaps with a few inches of multi-purpose at the top to settle them into. Then at the end of the season, i can just lift the bins off, move them elsewhere, and leave the compost where it is to rot in.

Comment

^Sounds like a great plan.

Comment

Originally posted by mat View Post
                    This year I'm going to try something with cucurbits I haven't tried before. I've moved my various compost daleks etc to positions on the veg beds, rather than tucked away out of sight, and in May I'm going to plant out some cucurbit plants into the bins full of rotted compost - perhaps with a few inches of multi-purpose at the top to settle them into. Then at the end of the season, i can just lift the bins off, move them elsewhere, and leave the compost where it is to rot in.
                    They will like that. I've always thought it'd be a good idea. My darleks live outside the garden so I've never done it myself because the deer would eat anything I planted in them.
                    You may need to support the fruit as it's growing. If it's hanging down the side of the darleks. I've never worked out how I would do that

Comment

Not sure about the deer you get, but I've found one of the few things untouched by the ones around here is courgettes - v unpopular.

Comment

I'll be growing my single courgette plant again this year. 1 plant gives me enough courgettes to use and to slice and freeze some for later use.

I'll be sowing the seed sometime around mid April to plant out at the end of May.

Comment

All my cucurbit seeds were sown yesterday

Comment

I can just make out the first tiny cucumbers forming pre-flowering on my plants which are out in the poly-tunnel looking a bit sorry for themselves, in this grey cold weather.

Comment

I sowed 2 seeds of cucumber Delistar on 2nd April in a heated propagator and the are now about 4inches tall. Saw them on The Beachgrove Garden last year and thought I'd give them a go. I'm growing a squash called Crown Prince, F1 but haven't got round to sowing them yet. Has anyone else grown them and if so, how did they do?

Comment

I’m doing cucumbers for the first time this year, outdoors in my square foot garden. Two square, two plants, probably grown up some trellis. I had some Perfection seeds which I’ve mislaid so I bought some Marketmore from Wilko.

The squares I plan to plant them into are currently taken up by autumn sown broad beans. I expect these won’t be done until mid June, so should I hold off on sowing my cucumber seeds for a few weeks?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X