No announcement yet.

Penellype's Allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A horrible weekend in which almost nothing got done. The weather wasn't nice, but worse, on Saturday morning my 30 year old mare was ill and it became apparent that the kindest thing was to have her put down. As I have had her for 20 years this was not easy. I didn't have any enthusiasm for gardening in a freezing cold gale force wind and I just walked down and checked that everything was still in place.

I took some photos yesterday which I will post later.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Originally posted by Penellype View Post
      A horrible weekend in which almost nothing got done. The weather wasn't nice, but worse, on Saturday morning my 30 year old mare was ill and it became apparent that the kindest thing was to have her put down. As I have had her for 20 years this was not easy. I didn't have any enthusiasm for gardening in a freezing cold gale force wind and I just walked down and checked that everything was still in place.

Sorry to hear about your horse Pen.
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Originally posted by Snadger View Post
        Sorry to hear about your horse Pen.
        That's the trouble with owning animals - they tend to go before you do!
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Sorry, Pene xx

Comment

A horrible weekend in which almost nothing got done. The weather wasn't nice, but worse, on Saturday morning my 30 year old mare was ill and it became apparent that the kindest thing was to have her put down. As I have had her for 20 years this was not easy. I didn't have any enthusiasm for gardening in a freezing cold gale force wind and I just walked down and checked that everything was still in place.

I'm so sorry for your loss, we had to make the same decision about our much loved pet recently. Best decision for Amba, nightmare for us. Huge virtual hug for your bravery

Comment

• Thanks for the kind comments, much appreciated.

Comment

• A fairly quiet few days, although on Monday I did take a bag of Strulch down and mulch the potted fruit bushes. Other than that it has mostly been checking, ventilating the plants under cover and watering when necessary and pulling out the odd weed.

I also harvested some PSB yesterday and some salad leaves (mizuna, beetroot, baby spinach and winter lettuce) and rhubarb today.

I'm having problems with posting photos at the moment and I have no idea when/if this will be resolved. I will post them if I can but I'm not holding my breath.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Forgot to say yesterday that the carrots in the hotbed are now germinating.

Comment

• Not a great deal happening at the plot at the moment, although I am going down twice a day to open and close the growhouse and hotbed cover.

On Friday I took the surviving Snowball caulflowers that have been overwintering in the growhouse at home to the plot as I needed the space to harden off peas. The cauliflowers have not done at all well, unlike last year when only a couple of them died. This time I have lost half of the seedlings that germinated and the remaining 10 are looking varying degrees of unhappy. I decided to plant them out in the bed next to the raspberries and tunnel, where the potatoes were last year. I'm fairly sure that left in the growhouse for much longer they would all die anyway, so I have nothing to lose.

Other than that, I harvested a couple of leeks and some rhubarb at the weekend.

I am still unable to post photos, which is very frustrating.

Comment

• I forgot to mention that I mowed the sunnier part of the grass on Friday as it was getting rather long.

Comment

• Busy, busy week this week so nothing much is getting done apart from daily checking, ventilating and occasional watering. I have harvested some brokali and PSB.

Comment

Busy, busy week this week so nothing much is getting done apart from daily checking, ventilating and occasional watering. I have harvested some brokali and PSB.
                          Experimenting with a new account to see if it lets me post pictures once I have the required number of posts. At the moemnt I can't even see other people's pictures, and I can't access my profile either. Hopefully this will sort itself out once I post a bit more.

Comment

• No idea why that last post quoted the previous one - this account looks completely different from what I am used to and keeps requiring me to answer a random question before I can post anything. Its somewhat annoying!

Comment

• Keep posting, Pen, until you reach about 10-12. Things start to look "normal" then.

Comment

• Penellype, you post a lot of pictures. Could it be that you have used up all the allocated space (62mb I think) in your attachments folder? Perhaps you need to delete some old images.
                                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                                Endless wonder.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X