Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m not very techy so don’t know which grow lights are the best. Mine are Secret Jardin and I got them because the man in the hydro shop recommended them. They are ok but coverage is quite narrow.

A lot of growers seem to use Mars Hydro I believe. (SP?)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
      I’m not very techy so don’t know which grow lights are the best. Mine are Secret Jardin and I got them because the man in the hydro shop recommended them. They are ok but coverage is quite narrow.

Yeah I've got a Mars Hydro. I love it. Only downside is it's quite bright..........and very pink. I do rename the dining room Area 51 when the light is on
      It works brilliantly for my needs, it has a reasonable spread. Not the cheapest but now you have the chilli growing bug you'll be using it at this time every year until late Feb and beyond ( well I do ). Only difference is next year ( and every year after that ) you'll be putting more and more varieties under the light. So you might as well go with a good one

Comment

I’m not very techy so don’t know which grow lights are the best. Mine are Secret Jardin and I got them because the man in the hydro shop recommended them. They are ok but coverage is quite narrow.

Mars Hydro and the rest of the 'blurple' (bluey-purple) lights you find on Amazon and eBay would be OK for seedlings. They aren't very efficient in terms of light output per watt so will cost more in the long run versus a more efficient product. They almost never draw the advertised power and probably won't cover the advertised growing area. Unfortunately most of the more efficient pre-built lights are aimed towards cannabis growers who need lots of watts of high intensity light for proper flowering, so they're quite expensive.

Samsung recently announced their horticulture specific LEDs so maybe we will see more efficient plug and play grow lights aimed at the hobby grower sometime soon.

You may want to check out this video to see how a Mars Hydro compares versus more efficient lights - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbJHFkDX4AA

How much area do you need to cover?

Comment

Thanks for the advice
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
            Yeah I've got a Mars Hydro. I love it. Only downside is it's quite bright..........and very pink. I do rename the dining room Area 51 when the light is on
            It works brilliantly for my needs, it has a reasonable spread. Not the cheapest but now you have the chilli growing bug you'll be using it at this time every year until late Feb and beyond ( well I do ). Only difference is next year ( and every year after that ) you'll be putting more and more varieties under the light. So you might as well go with a good one
            Thank you, I'll probably end up covering quite a large area eventually, but up to now, it's one seed tray
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by toomanytommytoes View Post
              Mars Hydro and the rest of the 'blurple' (bluey-purple) lights you find on Amazon and eBay would be OK for seedlings. They aren't very efficient in terms of light output per watt so will cost more in the long run versus a more efficient product. They almost never draw the advertised power and probably won't cover the advertised growing area. Unfortunately most of the more efficient pre-built lights are aimed towards cannabis growers who need lots of watts of high intensity light for proper flowering, so they're quite expensive.

Samsung recently announced their horticulture specific LEDs so maybe we will see more efficient plug and play grow lights aimed at the hobby grower sometime soon.

You may want to check out this video to see how a Mars Hydro compares versus more efficient lights - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbJHFkDX4AA

thanks, I'll watch the youtube vid shortly.
              How much area do I want to cover, mmmmm. at the moment its one seed tray, but who knows once i get going
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by toomanytommytoes View Post

are grow lamps ok to use in a completely darkening room, e.g a garage?
                sigpic

Comment

• Yes but it could glow up in the dark the lights are so bright,you could use some reflective materials so the light bounces around,I started using this last year silver reflective stuff from a hydroponics shop -

Click image for larger version

Name:	871F9A13-8D1A-4CD0-A0B4-2801908BC2A7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	2381825

Comment

• Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                    Yes but it could glow up in the dark the lights are so bright,you could use some reflective materials so the light bounces around,I started using this last year silver reflective stuff from a hydroponics shop -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]84619[/ATTACH]
                    great stuff, thanks
                    sigpic

Comment

• I used a cheap silver emergency blanket taped to the walls around my grow area to reflect the light. There is a risk that it can reflect the light unevenly resulting in hot spots which can burn the plants but I'm prepared to take that risk.

The proper stuff as per Jane's post above is designed to avoid that problem and scatter the light evenly.
                      Last edited by Mitzi; 18-12-2018, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• It's started . Seed sowing has begun. A little later than normal (compost crisis).
                        First 8 varieties are in the propagator.

Comment

• Does anybody grow any of the more fragrant heatless chilli's such as trinidad perfume, Habanada and Aji Dulce #2?
                          Anybody have any preference when it comes to taste
                          sigpic

Comment

• I'm trying Trinidad perfume for the first time and a heatless jalapeņo.

Comment

• So am I.

Comment

• I grew Jalapeno M this year and that for me was totally heatless and therefore , to me totally pointless lol.
                                was devastated all those chillis had no heat whatsoever.
                                If id wanted heatless, id have bought pepper seeds.
                                Last edited by jackarmy; 23-12-2018, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X