This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by the big lebowski View Post
    postmans been ! next years seeds have arrived ,trinidad scorpian ,carolina reaper,bhut jolokia,moruga trin scorpion,red 7 pot ,choc douglah x 10 of each , tempted to plant them now
    Just slightly on the warm side, those... are you also going to grow anything actually edible?

My climate up here isn't really suited to superhots (and no greenhouse) but I'm still going to try some more next year and am still hoping to overwinter the Nagabrain Chocolate and Brazilian Ghost although they are looking a bit sick right now so might not make it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      OMG!! They are all so hot.....I have SPS Dorset naga dripping with pods and they are too hot for us! I must try growing only mild types next year.
      I seem to have read that somewhere before...

Oh yes, I remember - it was you, about a year ago!

You know you love them really.

It's like me saying "I'm going to cut down the number of varieties I grow next year..." - never happens.
      Last edited by Mitzi; 07-12-2018, 04:19 PM.

Comment

• I'm itching to start sowing seeds (only 3 or so weeks to go until I planned to start) but my overwinters have aphids on, so I really think I need to get those clear before bringing new chilli babies into this world.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Mitzi;1631385]Just slightly on the warm side, those... are you also going to grow anything actually edible?

lol yes im going to grow the normal cayenne,jalapenios that sort of thing too
          The Dude abides.

Comment

• I've pruned and brought into the house all but three of my *still healthy* chilli plants now. Twelve indoors so far. I would have had another four at least but having spent waaaaay longer than originally intended (try six weeks give or take)! in the near constant darkness of the garage some have succumbed to that now. Argh! Oh well that my own fault this time at least. Most irritating to have lost so soon is my Santaka which was grown from the last of my stock of those particular seeds. Also no more is my 2yr old Joe's Long, but I'm not too bothered, as I only really grow that one for effect; I find the pods are too vulnerable to softening while on the plant, and once picked they don't keep fresh all that long or preserve all that well either. Chocolate habanero has formed a good shaped plant but has now developed a few black blotches along the main stem; I'm hoping this is just a blemish in the skin as if it was early stage rot it'd be dark brown. Time will tell. I've got all three of my Apple Crisp - now 2yr old plants - and two Feugo. Rest of the varieties to rest overwinter are one of each now, so fingers are crossed. Have a Big Jim which is looking sickly, again too long spent in perpetual darkness, I may yet have to take the crown off which'll leave just an 8" stump; so long as that stays green however it'll be fine as there are new buds formed there already just waitng for their spring cue
            Last edited by Philthy; 09-12-2018, 09:36 AM.

Comment

• Looks like I won't be overwintering anything this year. The eight I brought inside to overwinter are all dead or dying due to greenfly. I might be able to trip two back a lot and save them but not hopeful.
              On the plus side I have a freezer full of chillis, made a huge batch of chilli oil for pizza etc and have made a few really nice sauces.
              Now to start planning next years batch. :-) As soon as Christmas is over I'll start with the Habanero's, Scotch Bonnets and the super hots.

Comment

• ^^ When did you bring them inside and where have they been kept since?

Comment

• That is quick to be dying of greenfly?

A lemon drop on my windowsill - new pods and flowering ....its been mild
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	5C591DFA-0806-447A-BBF9-8DDF47B4E1AE.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	2381753

Comment

• It's getting very close to seed sowing time, it's very exciting
                    Just the 32 varieties for next season.................so far

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                      It's getting very close to seed sowing time, it's very exciting
                      Just the 32 varieties for next season.................so far
                      How do you restrict your list to 32, SP? I'm having trouble getting mine below 40 varieties (just for seeds, not including overwinters if any survive.) Speaking of seeds, do you have any spare basket of fire? I'd like to grow that next season but when I got my seeds out, I only have two of that, which are a few years old and so might not germinate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
                        How do you restrict your list to 32, SP? I'm having trouble getting mine below 40 varieties (just for seeds, not including overwinters if any survive.) Speaking of seeds, do you have any spare basket of fire? I'd like to grow that next season but when I got my seeds out, I only have two of that, which are a few years old and so might not germinate.
                        I'm restricted to 32 because that's all I've got. Trying really hard not to spend money on anything at the moment. Very difficult when it comes to chilli seeds! I can let you have a couple of basket of fire next month when I know the 4 I want to grow have germinated. I've just brought a packet ( I'd run out , they're F1, and I have no will power ). But there's only 6 in the packet. So if you don't mind waiting a while, I should be able to send you 2 seeds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                          I'm restricted to 32 because that's all I've got. Trying really hard not to spend money on anything at the moment. Very difficult when it comes to chilli seeds! I can let you have a couple of basket of fire next month when I know the 4 I want to grow have germinated. I've just brought a packet ( I'd run out , they're F1, and I have no will power ). But there's only 6 in the packet. So if you don't mind waiting a while, I should be able to send you 2 seeds.
                          I didn't know they are F1, I assumed you would have lots of home-saved seeds so now i feel really cheeky for asking. Don't worry about it; I'll manage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
                            I didn't know they are F1, I assumed you would have lots of home-saved seeds so now i feel really cheeky for asking. Don't worry about it; I'll manage.
                            I didn't know they were F1 either till Scarlet told me ( I was going to save them for the circle ).

Comment

• Always enjoy this thread, very entertaining to see how into chilli growing you all are. Don’t feel I often have much to contribute, more watch and learn. Anyway wanted to ask where in the 158 pages there might be something about how to overwinter my habanero plants. Almost all have ripened now so thinking I would chop the plants down a bit. Not sure how much to take off though. Am thinking will probably keep them in the kitchen over winter. Not much light but it would be warmer than the greenhouse.

Comment

• Originally posted by annie8 View Post
                                Always enjoy this thread, very entertaining to see how into chilli growing you all are. Don’t feel I often have much to contribute, more watch and learn. Anyway wanted to ask where in the 158 pages there might be something about how to overwinter my habanero plants. Almost all have ripened now so thinking I would chop the plants down a bit. Not sure how much to take off though. Am thinking will probably keep them in the kitchen over winter. Not much light but it would be warmer than the greenhouse.
                                You'll probably find more info at the end of the 2017 thread, starting from about here:

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ml#post1559275
                                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                                Endless wonder.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X