[ATTACH=CONFIG]83746[/ATTACH]

over 6 1/2kg

omg!! .

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
      Last of the jalapeņos harvested and cut down

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83746[/ATTACH]

Over 6 1/2kg
      Nice! How many plants produced those four bags?
      What are you going to do with these? I love fresh/raw Jalapenos in taco's and salads so leave them on the plant as long as possible as long as possible and pick as I need them. I'd say not that long now until the plants start dying so I'll have to do something with them. I have plenty of others for cooking so maybe a sauce I suppose. Any recommendations?

Comment

• the Jalapenos iv'e grown are all black ,big sized pods iv'e 6 plants covered in em! last year i grew some that went from green to red , sotch bonets are doing well all seem about ripe ! atb Dal.

Comment

• Originally posted by darraghb View Post
          What are you going to do with these? I love fresh/raw Jalapenos in taco's and salads so leave them on the plant as long as possible as long as possible and pick as I need them. I'd say not that long now until the plants start dying so I'll have to do something with them. I have plenty of others for cooking so maybe a sauce I suppose. Any recommendations?
          Here you go

https://www.foodiewithfamily.com/candied-jalapenos/
          Posted this link many many times before so you may of already seen it. But it's the best thing every.
          That lot of jalapeņos came from 5 plants. I've already harvested the other 10 . They averaged about 1KG per plant.

Comment

• Originally posted by darraghb View Post
            Pickled Jalepenos...great for salads

Comment

• ^^^ Omelette filling.. great in toasted cheese sandwiches.. on their own halved, fill with cheese and grill.. classic pizza topping.. nachos.. there's a cheese theme here but the two are a great combo

I don't even know myself. Something quite hot and with biggish fruits
              Serrano pods are similar in taste, shape, size and usage potential as jalapeno, but a level up in the heat stakes. Bishop's Crown is quite distinct in appearance; the pods can also resemble Christmas fairy lights. Quite chunky, similar heat to cayenne peppers. Peter Pepper has a similar heat range again, and pods that are equally 'distinctive'.

Comment

• Right, I'm upping the number of jalapeno plants next year then. Those candied ones look great. I've been eating them so quickly that a jar pickled is all I have to show. A lot of them were roasted alongside tomatillos to make salsa verde, and large quantities of it. Enchiladas verdes is one of my favourite dishes, but until now I'd never had a good one outside of Mexico.

The mild August had been a god send. Loads of bishops crown decided to ripen all at once, and the aji amarillo have decided to show a flash of orange, with three of the four having one pod ripen. I hope the others start soon, as the plants are heaving with loads of green pods, and they are looking a bit pale. I guess if they don't make it I can do candied green amarillo instead.

Comment

• Are they outside? In the GH? If the frost gets to them the peppers will go soft.

Maybe worth giving some protection st night - wrap in fleece?
                  Last edited by Scarlet; 10-10-2018, 07:53 AM.

Comment

• Well, I've finally got something to show for my efforts this year. Good but (to my mind) not outstanding, been a mostly frustrating season this time around. Still..

Orange pots are plants sown and grown this year, black pots represent 2 year old specimens.
                    Top pic middle: left plant is Scotch Bonnet Red, middle plant Tokyo Hot. Top pic right: also Tokyo Hot. This one proving very stubborn to ripen despite some decent sunny days of late. Unfortunately if picked green they tend to go soft before they turn. True of most of the cayennes actually.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Left side A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	2381061 Click image for larger version

Name:	Scotch B + Tokyo Hot.jpg
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	2381063 Click image for larger version

Name:	Tokyo Hot B.jpg
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	2381062

Name:	Apple Crisp A.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	2381064 Click image for larger version

Name:	Apple Crisp B.jpg
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	2381065
                    Bottom pics left + right: Apple crisp (of which these overwintered the best last winter). Again ripening is proving difficult. I've thinned a little but don't want to strip the plant too much as it may stimulate the plant to bush out when really I just want the existing pods to stay healthy and ripen.

The summer great as it was literally ended 10 days too early. With the rate everything was growing and setting fruit having finally caught up after all the set backs, another week could've made all the difference if the momentum had kept on, but now after a lot of cold nights, despite hot days, growth is crawling and ripening very intermittent.
                    Last edited by Philthy; 10-10-2018, 12:36 PM. Reason: spacing tweak

Comment

• Top row - Left: Santaka. Middle: Jalapeno. Right: Espelette (impressive comeback from being a deer's breakfast 4 months ago )

Name:	Santaka A.jpg
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	2381067 Click image for larger version

Name:	Jalapeno.jpg
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	2381069 Click image for larger version

Name:	Espelette.jpg
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	2381070

Name:	Trinidad Perfume.jpg
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	2381066 Click image for larger version

Name:	Mystery plant.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	2381068
                      Bottom row - Left: Trinidad Perfume. Right: mystery plant, looks quite a lot like a Jamaican Hot. Both on 1yr old plants.
                      Last edited by Philthy; 10-10-2018, 10:13 AM. Reason: spacing tweak

Comment

• Last ones.. Top: Feugo. Bottom: Chocolate Habanero. They're getting there

Name:	Feugo A.jpg
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	2381072 Click image for larger version

Name:	Feugo B.jpg
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	2381071

Name:	Choc Hab A.jpg
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	2381074 Click image for larger version

Name:	Choc Hab B.jpg
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	2381073

Comment

• You guys are such an inspiration! I've already decided that next year the tomatoes are being evicted from the growhouse and I'm growing more chillies. Although my 'more' just means more than one! I don't even like spicy heat... although I do love chilli flavour.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            Are they outside? In the GH? If the frost gets to them the peppers will go soft.

Maybe worth giving some protection st night - wrap in fleece?
                            Nights are a lot milder now, at least for the next couple of weeks that I can see. Last year I found with the plants I left outdoors that the leaves died but the pods were still all right until it got way below zero. I figured that the oils they contain stopped them from freezing when there was just a light frost. Not sure how scientific that is.

I have lots of plants still outside (no room to overwinter them indoors) that I am still hoping will ripen. Last weekend (frost forecast) I brought the more tender ones into the kitchen for 48 hours - couldn't access half the worktops and cupboards as half the floor was covered with chilli plants. They're back outdoors now.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1Bee View Post
                              You guys are such an inspiration! I've already decided that next year the tomatoes are being evicted from the growhouse and I'm growing more chillies. Although my 'more' just means more than one! I don't even like spicy heat... although I do love chilli flavour.
                              There are lots of low-heat but flavourful chillies e.g. Trinidad Perfume, Tobago Seasoning, Pink Habanero, NuMex Suave. This year I grew Aji Champion, a baccatum, which has practically no heat at all but has a fruity and pleasant taste. I can send you some seeds if you want but they are open polllinated, not isolated, and might have crossed with Aji White Fantasy - but that's also low heat and its crosses are often crazy shapes, so might be interesting. Some of the other baccatums e.g. Bishops Crown, Brazilian Starfish are also low heat. The advantages of the baccatums is that they are more cold-tolerant and so don't need the protection of a greenhouse unless you are in a very cold area. They do take a long time to ripen, though.

Comment

• All of my chillies are still in the greenhouses and are staying there..
                                Not bringing any in any time soon if at all..
                                .........still to decide re overwintering any..
                                I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                                sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X