This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Philthy View Post
    ^^ Blimey! (that's putting it conservatively)

What are those long reds bottom right, they look massive. Can you measure one, SP? Just curious
    They are joes long average 10" long ( 25cm ).

Comment

• SP that is fantastic. Need the labels, though! What are the big tomato-like ones at the bottom? I loved the sound of your lime green chilli powder too.
      Last edited by Mitzi; 26-09-2018, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
        SP that is fantastic. Need the labels, though! What are the big tomato-like ones at the bottom? I loved the sound of your lime green chilli powder too.
        Sweet apple kambe. very very mild Only 500 Scoville.

Comment

• That is some collection of chillis. Very impressive.
          All mine are still outside. I was hoping for everything to mature before I picked everything but there are a few slow plants. A few are bent and broken after the recent windy weather so I'll probably do them this weekend.
          I'm still in negotiation with the wife over what plants can come in for the winter but I am hoping for red, chocolate, peach and orange Hab's, Yellow Bhut Jolokia and Yellow Devils Tongue. That's about 6 saved plants leaving about 45-55 dying outside. :-( In fairness, the Cayenne, Thai Hot, Jalapeno etc all grow so well from seed there is no reason to overwinter them.
          I can't wait for a free weekend to make some sauces.

Comment

• They are joes long average 10" long
            Oh okay. I've got that one this year too but the pods aren't nearly as thick (similar length though). I thought maybe you'd sneaked another new discovery into the mix without telling us

I loved the sound of your lime green chilli powder too
            Ditto. Got me thinking of some other colours besides traditional red and yellow tones, a chocolate variant could make an attractive brown powder (Panca is the only mil-dish one that springs to mind, chocolate habanero powder could be a bit harsh)! Anything with a purple cycle ie. cayenne, jalapeno, Gusto could make an awesome purple powder

Hoping I had a lucky break (for once this year ) on Monday night; I wasn't able to get back to insulate or bung a fan heater into the GH ahead of that unexpected cold night - got down to 3 celcius (in Sept??). It was all sealed up though and hoping that was enough with the stored residual heat from the day to see the plants through until sun up. Espellette (which has actually put on some decent growth since being mostly eaten back in May) was all droopy yesterday morning and I thought the cold had got it afterall, but turned out it just needed a drink, now it's perked up and looks fine again. The dry pot probably counted in it's favour during the cold night. Swings and roundabouts...

Comment

• Originally posted by Philthy View Post
              Got me thinking of some other colours besides traditional red and yellow tones, a chocolate variant could make an attractive brown powder (Panca is the only mil-dish one that springs to mind, chocolate habanero powder could be a bit harsh)! Anything with a purple cycle ie. cayenne, jalapeno, Gusto could make an awesome purple powder
              I've done one with a couple of frozen reapers from last year and some nagabrain chocolates from this year, so that is brown and also insanely hot. The only thing I have used it for so far is a batch of chilli peanuts but I mixed it 50:50 with Nebru 7 powder rather than using it neat. Still too hot for me but my other half likes them.

I have some Brazilian Ghosts ripening now so they will also make a brown powder. Love the idea of a purple one, although I'm not sure whether they would keep their colour after dehydrating? I have some Chenzo (black, ripening to red) which might be worth a try.

Comment

• Oh okay. I've got that one this year too but the pods aren't nearly as thick (similar length though). I thought maybe you'd sneaked another new discovery into the mix without telling us
                As if I'd do a thing like that

Comment

• re Robbra

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                  If it's a chocolate habanero it shouldn't be turning red!
                  They go from green to brown
                  Just harvested my Chocolate habanero plant (Seed from MoreVeg) and there is a very slight red tinge to the underside of a few pods. Could just be the strain. They are very hot.

Comment

• ..Still too hot for me but my other half likes them
                    Could be the overwintering bargaining chip you've been waiting for, Mitzi... maybe leave some other carefully chosen chilli themed snacks 'just lying around'.. could be an 11th hour reprieve in the offing

Comment

• Originally posted by Philthy;1622152

Ditto. Got me thinking of some other colours besides traditional red and yellow tones, a [I
                      chocolate[/I] variant could make an attractive brown powder (Panca is the only mil-dish one that springs to mind, chocolate habanero powder could be a bit harsh)! Anything with a purple cycle ie. cayenne, jalapeno, Gusto could make an awesome purple powder
                      I made a brown powder last year from dried Chilaca and this is a nice mild alternative that I routinely scatter over my dinner from a pepper mill...beautiful on a soup too!!
                      I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by 4Shoes View Post
                        Just harvested my Chocolate habanero plant (Seed from MoreVeg) and there is a very slight red tinge to the underside of a few pods. Could just be the strain.
                        Well mine have always ripened from green to brown - no orange or red in sight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2B3D2A00-80E1-4DBA-B940-F048045A50C6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	2380941

# and yes...I have small hands!
                        Last edited by Scarlet; 28-09-2018, 02:28 PM.

Comment

• I was finally brave enough to try the pods ChilliWilly sent me last night. I only had a small sliver of each (raw.) The yellow one was very hot. I didn’t get much flavour (but I did only have a small piece.) Then a bit of a slow burn – the heat built up over several minutes until my tongue was on fire, my gums were on fire, my eyes and nose started running. It did abate in a few more minutes. The red one was very similar but the heat seemed to be building more and I’m afraid I wimped out and went for the ice cream. Then my tongue was really sore with chilli heat and frozen ice cream all impacting on it at once.

My palate isn’t sufficiently chilli tolerant to be able to tell one superhot from another; all I can say is, they are too hot for me to eat raw and I’d be wary of using them in cooking as well. Instead I put the remaining peppers in the dehydrator; they will make a brilliant powder which I can just use a tiny bit of in a curry, chilli etc. or mix it with a milder powder.

Looking at this Seaspring Seeds photo of a Moruga Scorpion, I’m thinking this is what the red peppers are. https://www.seaspringseeds.co.uk/sho...li-seed-detail

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            Well mine have always ripened from green to brown - no orange or red in sight.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83612[/ATTACH]

# and yes...I have small hands!
                            I've had a constant battle with my plant for last 2 years. it was even sent to Coventry so that I could try to isolate some pods. All but 3 of isolated fell off and the 3 left only have a few seed. Perhaps is it a rogue. The flesh was also red and quite thick under the skin

Just to say it did taste hot. Perhaps too hot for my cooking with fresh chilli, now got to see if the powder works for me

Comment

• Originally posted by 4Shoes View Post
                              I've had a constant battle with my plant for last 2 years. it was even sent to Coventry so that I could try to isolate some pods. All but 3 of isolated fell off and the 3 left only have a few seed. Perhaps is it a rogue. The flesh was also red and quite thick under the skin

Just to say it did taste hot. Perhaps too hot for my cooking with fresh chilli, now got to see if the powder works for me
                              The super hots seem very difficult to set pods when isolated....I’ve tried with many varieties, and my bags are always full of dropped flowers.

I still have a freezer full of black nagas and several other super hot pods... just too hot for most things, but I can’t stop growing

Comment

• Not a bad place to be in Scarlet. I'm the other way round. I've got a grand total of 2 peach scorpions, 1 moruga brainstrain, 0 fatali, 0 bhut jokolia, 0 7 pot primo and 17 reapers. I've just built an overwintering spot though, so hopefully I can get some to ripen in there before trimming them down. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X