This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by monkeyboy View Post
    Despite potting up into slight larger pots (from 4" into 6" pots), there's been no real growth in my Jalapenos - they're stuck at 6" in height. Padron Peppers are slightly taller at 9" in height.

Watering 2-3 times a week. Fed every other week.

Thoughts?
    When did you sow them?
    Where are you keeping them?
    What are you feeding them?
    Initial thoughts bigger pot, more warmth and more food.
    Last edited by Small pumpkin; 31-05-2018, 10:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
      When did you sow them?
      Where are you keeping them?
      What are you feeding them?
      Initial thoughts bigger pot, more warmth and more food.
      Sowed in first week of March, in a heated and lit propagator.
      Planted out into 3" pots about a month ago, used Arthur Bowers compost.
      Put into 6" pots last week, using veg growing compost.
      Fed with liquid plant food - "black magic" brand - has worked well for everything else (except peas!)
      Kept indoors on the window sill in the kitchen, gets sunlight from 9am till 6pm.

I did wonder whether the pots are too small. There are flower buds developing.

Comment

• Originally posted by monkeyboy View Post
        Despite potting up into slight larger pots (from 4" into 6" pots), there's been no real growth in my Jalapenos - they're stuck at 6" in height. Padron Peppers are slightly taller at 9" in height.

Watering 2-3 times a week. Fed every other week.

Thoughts?
        When you pot them up, they quite often sulk a bit - which I think means they are just concentrating on growing new roots but don't bother with the top growth for a while. Hopefully they will take off soon. Are they getting plenty of light?

I don't water anywhere near 3 times a week; in fact, mine are lucky if they get watered once a week. Are you allowing them to dry out before watering? You can feel from the weight of the pot when the soil is dry. After potting up you probably don't need to feed for a few weeks, either, but once they do need feeding then I do it every week (approximately.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
          Are they getting plenty of light?
          As much as they can from sitting on the sill of a square bay window (light comes from three directions).

Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
          I don't water anywhere near 3 times a week; in fact, mine are lucky if they get watered once a week.
          Last year I watered them once weekly and they didn't grow particularly well. This year I was watering 1-2x per week as I remembered to do so. When I potted them up last week, the compost was dry and crumbly. Hence switching to 2-3x per week and using a moisture meter to guide me.

Are you allowing them to dry out before watering? You can feel from the weight of the pot when the soil is dry.
          Should I wait until the soil is completely dry before watering? I normally pour in water until it starts seeping out the bottom (about half a pint).

After potting up you probably don't need to feed for a few weeks, either, but once they do need feeding then I do it every week (approximately.)
          They were potted up last week and I've not fed them since.

Comment

• Well after all that extra information. The main thing you need to do is be patient .
            For plants only sown in March. I think you're doing ok .

Comment

• I've got some scotch bonnets growing on a windowsill, i bought a few young plants the size of my thumb, they have been there for a few weeks and are now taking off, wohooooo
              I would put up photos, but I think I can't because I'm a newbie
              It takes a while after potting them on for them to get going, but they soon do, especially as the weather is warm.
              I let them dry out between watering, I find that keeping the soil wet doesn't suit my chillies too well, and that a drier soil makes a hotter chilli, which is what I like. I've also got a pepper unicorn which has taken off on my sunny windowsill, now all I have to do is find somewhere to grow them.
              My normal place is out of bounds as its been infested by white fly and I can't get rid of them, grrrrrs
              Last edited by chillithyme; 31-05-2018, 05:32 PM.

Comment

• ^^^ totally agree with TBL, I'm amazed you can grow plants like that before June in Mull
                Ditto!

SP, amazing effort, wow!!! (hope you've got labels in all those)!

How hot does it get inside the tunnel with the sun on it?
                How about ventilation, can you have vents in a poly tunnel?
                What is a typical shelf life of the polythene; bet 'there is' a fair bit of wind where you are (had to be careful with that one..)

Well, I'm also in the midst of a potting frenzy; re-potted the overwintered plants last weekend, which had a final survival rate of six healthy specimens. I lost approx 2/3 of last year's plants over the winter period this time, as too late bringing them indoors, and the effects of that aren't usually apparent straight away. Worth noting that the strongest performer was Apple Crisp; plants are three for three.
                This year's sowings are mostly in their mid stage pots - 6" - and on the GH bench. Five of the strongest growers are in the final pot size of 8". The others I'll probably pot up again also to 8" late June / early July.

My normal place is out of bounds as its been infested by white fly
                chillithyme, hang a couple of those sticky yellow traps, I find them quite effective. Ideally just above the 'canopy', or better yet between the plants; if the latter make an additional hole in the bottom of the trap and secure it at the base too so it can't flap about (if it sticks to leaves they're coming off).

Comment

• thanks philty, il try that for whitefly, hopefully it helps

Comment

• Originally posted by Philthy View Post
                    Ditto!

SP, amazing effort, wow!!! (hope you've got labels in all those)!

How hot does it get inside the tunnel with the sun on it?
                    How about ventilation, can you have vents in a poly tunnel?
                    What is a typical shelf life of the polythene; bet 'there is' a fair bit of wind where you are (had to be careful with that one..)
                    Thanks Philthy
                    Definitely all labelled up. That would drive me nuts! Not knowing who was who.
                    It does get bl@@dy hot when it's got the sun on it. Never actually taken the temperature.
                    Ventilation is opening the doors at both ends ( as long as it's not to windy ). You can get side ventilation as an option when first constructing. I didn't because of the high winds we get.
                    Polythene has a minimum shelf life of 5 year ( if attached correctly as polytunnle companies say in their write ups). But I've known them last 10/12 years before they need replacing.
                    It really does get a bit breezy up here at time. I've had many a sleepless night worrying if I'll still have any tunnels in the morning. No doubt I'll have many more
                    They've never moved an inch thankfully
                    Last edited by Small pumpkin; 31-05-2018, 07:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chillithyme View Post
                      I would put up photos, but I think I can't because I'm a newbie
                      The issue won't be because you are new...your photos will probably be too large. Either crop them or use a image resizer.

Comment

• Chris11 Challenge - May Update 2

Potted up all Chris11 plants on the 26th and been away for a few days.

They have been under the staging to avoid direct sunlight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	310518Chilli.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	2378514

They have also grown significantly in the last 5 days

Name:	Chilli May.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	2378516

No issues with these, but Santa Fe Grande and Sweet Banana have suffered. The MAX temp this week was 54C. Min in last 2 days 24C

I've cut up and old farm gate to hang plant supports from on the right and will start to address watering next.

Name:	clipped tunnel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	2378515
                        Last edited by 4Shoes; 31-05-2018, 09:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                          The issue won't be because you are new...your photos will probably be too large. Either crop them or use a image resizer.
                          Thanks, il have another go when I can

Comment

• 4Shoes I'm so impressed with how organised you are. I started off organised (with a spreadsheet) but it's all gone to pot and everything is in chaos now. Three of my outdoor plants aren't labelled (but I will know what they by the shape of the pods if/when they set them.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
                              4Shoes I'm so impressed with how organised you are. I started off organised (with a spreadsheet) but it's all gone to pot and everything is in chaos now. Three of my outdoor plants aren't labelled (but I will know what they by the shape of the pods if/when they set them.)
                              Once I've ID'd the plants will not be the case.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4Shoes View Post
                                Potted up all Chris11 plants on the 26th and been away for a few days.

They have been under the staging to avoid direct sunlight.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80671[/ATTACH]

They have also grown significantly in the last 5 days

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80673[/ATTACH]

No issues with these, but Santa Fe Grande and Sweet Banana have suffered. The MAX temp this week was 54C. Min in last 2 days 24C

I've cut up and old farm gate to hang plant supports from on the right and will start to address watering next.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80672[/ATTACH]
                                Nice looking tunnel you have. Like the strut supports and staging. Maybe a double door setup would have been ideal when your hitting temps like 54 Celsius. I need improve the ventilation into my tunnel. I have the door netting similar to yours but it gets so hot during summer.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X