X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ooh, exciting, SP.

Comment

• Mitzi, what size pot did your omnicolour live in ?, will an 8/10 l be ok or could we go smaller ?
      Last edited by jackarmy; 25-05-2018, 06:42 PM.

Comment

• Just moved all my plants out to the tunnel last week and they are shrivelling up in the heat.

Not got round to repotting - still in 11cm post. That will be fixed next week. Keeping the moist and not much roots showing in bottom of pots.

There was some wind today - late afternoon, but forecast is for more sun.

Is it the heat or the sun that I need to think about?

Perhaps debris netting to create shade inside the tunnel? - put them under the benching?

Any advice welcome

Comment

• Just gathering up pots etc to start repotting, so thought best to picture current state.

The plants have been in polytunnel for 1 week now and as detailed in last posting it has been very hot. Some dealing with heat better than others.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	2378424

Plant 2nd right back row is very tall... Pinch out growing tip?

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	2378425

All plants to the right have curled and wilted leaves.

Some of the plants are getting quite lanky - should I pinch out growing tip and force them to bush out?

Going to pot up bigger plants today, and get more pots middle next week. Wasn't able to get any mineral pails from farmers yet.

Comment

• The pots are too small especially if they are in a poly tunnel - they just dry out to quick. I’d plant them straight into the biggest container hou have now.

As for the leggy ones ( what are they) if you top them, they will bush out but you will delay fruiting. So it’s a personal choice. If it was a plant that I intended to overwinter I would top it to get a good shape early on, if it was just for fruit or to try out a variety for one year I’d just leave it as is and stake well.

#check for slugs as you also have slug damage.
            Last edited by Scarlet; 26-05-2018, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
              The pots are too small especially if they are in a poly tunnel - they just dry out to quick. I’d plant them straight into the biggest container hou have now.

As for the leggy ones ( what are they) if you top them, they will bush out but you will delay fruiting. So it’s a personal choice. If it was a plant that I intended to overwinter I would top it to get a good shape early on, if it was just for fruit or to try out a variety for one year I’d just leave it as is and stake well.

#check for slugs as you also have slug damage.
              Scarlet,

The top picture is the Chris11 challenge. i.e. there are 20ish plants that are unknown. Up to 13 varieties.

Pot front right was damaged in the porch. Snail(s) are no more All pots were checked as they moved out, and been checking the daily and no more damage (fingers crossed) Just got rid of family, so have more time. Suspect damaged plant and the other 2 others next to it are Pot Black (was on Chris11 swap list), but may be wrong.

The plants suffering from heat are Hungarian Black and Bulgarian Carrot.

Yes aware they are small pots, all pots have been kept moist, but agree, need to get them potted up .so will sort that out......

Comment

• The pot size is your problem...when you pot them on its unlikely you will have any shrivelling up.

Comment

• Really living up to my name!

Been merrily watering frequently and noticed two of the chillis (Spaghetti) bending over. Bought a moisture/Ph meter and all are if the scale of wet. Thinking I had done the correct thing each pot is sitting in a gravel tray with capillary matting in. That is also very wet.

In order to attempt dry everything out I’ve ended up removing everything from the trays and drying out.

Schoolboy mistake from which hopefully they will recover.

Comment

• Hi all,

(hope this isn't the wrong place to post this) but I've noticed one of my naga plants not looking as good. This one was a slow grower since the beginning.

1. On some leaves theres this brown/black discolouration
                    2. some leaves look like they have no life in them

Have a look:
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Chris11 Challenge - May Update

Been quite a month.

Had to keep the plants in the 11cm pots until I got my polytunnel built.

With one thing and the other, 3 weeks was added to the time scale, and I still need to look at the pleating at the Ends again, but the plants have been out for over a week as I made space for family visitors etc.

I'm about to put them up into B&Q buckets, so thought one last picture with them all lined up is called for.

Name:	26052018.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	2378439

The plants are in the same order as last month, so we can see which plants have taken off and any that I expect to be smaller.

Since moving to the tunnel, some have also got yellow on the leaves

Name:	Yellow2.JPG
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	2378440

Name:	yellow1.JPG
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	2378441

There was a cabbage white doing the rounds, but didn't expect them to do anything...

Perhaps pollen from bees / insects? any ideas?

Comment

• Look what i found in the g/h
                        Black hangarion

Name:	P1000559.jpg
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	2378446

snap bite s/p

Name:	P1000563.jpg
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	2378447

Nigel outdoor

Name:	P1000565.JPG
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	2378448

and
                        Bulgarion red s/p?

Name:	P1000564.jpg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	2378449

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                          The pot size is your problem...when you pot them on its unlikely you will have any shrivelling up.
                          Just sorted that one out. Lots of potting last night.

Started moving stuff from greenhouse and the max / min thermometer is now in tunnel and is sitting at 46.5C.

Is very windy, so need to look at how to ventilate.

Comment

• I've got four jalapeno and two padron pepper plants in six 6" pots. What should my final pot size be (bearing in mind that this is on the kitchen window sill)?

Comment

• Originally posted by monkeyboy View Post
                              I've got four jalapeno and two padron pepper plants in six 6" pots. What should my final pot size be (bearing in mind that this is on the kitchen window sill)?
                              Get the bigest pot that will fit on your window sill.

Comment

• Originally posted by monkeyboy View Post
                                I've got four jalapeno and two padron pepper plants in six 6" pots. What should my final pot size be (bearing in mind that this is on the kitchen window sill)?
                                As big as you've got space for .

Chilli final pot size is one of those rare times when bigger is better

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X