• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We like to cook the Sprout Tops, sweated onions, bacon, and walnuts. lovely
    "Bulb: potential flower buried in Autumn, never to be seen again."
    - Henry Beard

Comment

My favourite way to eat sprouts might have to change! Perhaps we should have a thread in the cooking section on sprout recipes...
      Last edited by Snoop Puss; 09-11-2017, 08:52 AM.

Comment

I remember going for a lovely Indian meal with friends. When my best mates curry arrived at the table, he was horrified to find it had sprouts in it. He went on about it for years after. If he was still with us, he'd still be going on about it!

While we're on the subject of sprouts. How do you support them? This year as usual I used normal bamboo canes. With it being a very wet year. My canes have all rotted off at the base so my sprouts have fallen over anyway.
        As I'm going to have quite a few next year I'd like them to stay upright.
        Suggestions please.

Comment

^^ I use lengths of rebar. The only drawback is it's quite a bit of effort to pull the rebar out at the end of the season.

Comment

Just steady em with ought SP!

It's the "Wind Rock" which causes the sprouts to blow!
            "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
              ^^ I use lengths of rebar. The only drawback is it's quite a bit of effort to pull the rebar out at the end of the season.
              Am I being simple again! What's rebar?

Originally posted by Deano's "Diggin It" View Post
              Just steady em with ought SP!

It's the "Wind Rock" which causes the sprouts to blow!
              Explain! ?
              I know too plant them up too their first set of true leaves and to stamp them in. But I thought they still needed staking as well.
              You're definitely going to have to explain Deano

Comment

Rebar:
                https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-x...4405/302243551

Comment

Let's talk sprouts....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brussel Sprouts.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	2375625

Comment

VC I need your expert advice please.
                    I'm having trouble finding sowing and harvesting times for Long Island improved. I can only find them on American sites ( odd that, with them being called Long Island! ). They say sow 4 months before first frost and are even more vague about harvesting times .

Comment

Will this help, SP?
                      Brussels Sprouts Long Island Improved - Moreveg

I bought some and sowed them at the usual time for sprouts. I have to say, they weren't a great success for me, but they were in an exposed spot, so probably suffered from wind rock.

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                        Am I being simple again! What's rebar?

Explain! ?
                        I know too plant them up too their first set of true leaves and to stamp them in. But I thought they still needed staking as well.
                        You're definitely going to have to explain Deano
                        In a "Knut shell"

Sow under cover second week in March, plant out in May 60cm apart once all threat of frost as passed, up to their true leaves, but do it extra firmly!

They are a long season cop as I said, and are probably gunna be one of the last standing crops on your plot so stake em to stop em from blowing about in the wind thus preventing "Wind Rock" which causes the "Buttons" to blow!
                        "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Right! I'm defoe up for this for a bit of fun!

So how's it gunna work?

Are we all growing the same variety and how many?

I will make space, that's not a problem, but a little guidance as to how we are gunna do this please, as I would have to get my seed order in!

Comment

Oh! Oh! Oh!

And my best way to eat em is with well done "Streaky Bacon" broken into little bits and smothered in best butter! Mmmmmmmmmm!

Comment

You want Guidance on how we're doing this, Deano?? hahahaha
                              You're the expert so I think you should tell us what to do - and, of course, we will do so

I'd like to pick sprouts every month of the year - just because nobody in their right mind eats sprouts in summer.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                                You want Guidance on how we're doing this, Deano?? hahahaha
                                You're the expert so I think you should tell us what to do - and, of course, we will do so

I'd like to pick sprouts every month of the year - just because nobody in their right mind eats sprouts in summer.
                                So your throwing the "Gantlet" down twice so to speak!

I can live with that!

May have to wait till SP comes back on line! Oh and may have to bum a few seeds off you two to make it level playing field!

So who's in?

Me, yourself n SP? any other takers?

Let me play with it! got a bit of time till spring!
                                Last edited by Deano's "Diggin It"; 25-11-2017, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X