Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Let's do it
    Would you believe I have 18 different types of sprouts? Some are ancient and probably beyond hope. Won't stop me sowing them however.
    February seems to be the start of the sowing season - or should I start now?
    FEBRUARY give the rest of use chance to catch up
    18 !!..............Bl...y He11
    Come on spill how out of date is your oldest packet? I'm guessing 5 years still perfectly viable.

Comment

Right SP. You have thrown down the gauntlet and we're going into battle.

Tonight I will bag up some seeds of every variety I have and they will be winging their way to you. Between us, we will grow 18 varieties of Sprouts in 2018

Comment

Sprouts I have grown (in no particular order):
        Evesham, Bedford, Long Island, Half Tall, Cromwell, Boswell, Igor, Petit Posy (Kalettes), Bronte, Montgomery and Trafalgar.

I've pretty well settled on the last three as my standard sprouts. Bronte is early, but also keeps going right through winter. Small sprouts, but worth it.

Edited to add: Doric and Falstaff. Actually, Doric were all right. I guess I abandoned them because there are only so many sprouts I want to grow. Though Mr Snoop says he likes sprouts so much he'd eat them every day.
        Last edited by Snoop Puss; 31-10-2017, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Aaargh!! I don't have some of those
          Wonder how many varieties there are?

Comment

^^ Loads!

One thing's for sure: I won't be bothering with Kalettes/Petit Posy again. We've had a plague of grey mealy aphids this year, and once they've set up home in Kalettes, there's no getting rid of them.

Comment

Tonight I will bag up some seeds of every variety I have and they will be winging their way to you. Between us, we will grow 18 varieties of Sprouts in 2018
              Just as well I've finally been aloud to rip the soft fruit out! So I can build a new bed just for sprouts!
              It's going to have to be a big bed!!!
              Thank you for your incredible generosity . I really didn't start this thread to end up with half the worlds supply of sprout seeds!
              Do you have early half tall? I can send you some of those.

Comment

Can I Play?

I love Sprouts!
                "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Originally posted by Deano's "Diggin It" View Post
                  Can I Play?

I love Sprouts!
                  Play ! Play!? This is a very serious scientific experiment!

Of course you can play Deano

All you need to do is fill your garden with as many varieties as humanly possible

Comment

These are the ones I have, in no particular order with date of packing:-

Fillbasket 2014
                    Brigitte F1 2014
                    Long Island Improved 2011
                    Catskill (HSL) 2014
                    Brest 2015
                    Early Half Tall 2012
                    Darkmar21 2014
                    Evesham Special 2015
                    Bedford Winter Harvest 2014
                    Cascade F1 2014
                    Revenge F1 2014
                    Trafalgar F1 2014
                    Maximus F1 2015
                    Seven Hills 2011
                    Bite Size F1 2017
                    Montgomery F1 2015
                    Rubine 2015
                    Red Ball 2014
                    Red Bull 2014 (Not a mistake there is a Ball and a Bull)
                    Sanda - undated - just a few seeds left from Real Seeds

Welcome aboard, Deano
                    What you got????

Comment

Sprouts. The Devil's own veg...

No, scrub that, he'd ensure that we're tasty or at the very least edible...
                      Why do some people hate Brussels sprouts? | Science Focus

I've got the correct genes I think you'll find.
                      sigpic
                      1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

VC here is what's in my Seed Box

Review Of Seed Stocks in Zippy Bags

Bedford Darkmar 21- Just Seeds
                        Cromwell F1 - Marshalls - Sow By 09/2018
                        Evesham Special - Premier Seeds Direct - Sow By 11/2018
                        Mongomery F1 - Marshalls - Sow By 09/2019
                        Rubine Purple Sprout - Mr Fothergills - Sow By 2017

Review Of Seed Stocks in Packets

Bedford - 125 Seeds - £2.29 - Thompson & Morgan - Sow By 12/2019
                        Brest F1 - 40 Seeds - £3.45 - Mr Fothergill's - Sow By 2020
                        Brodie - 35 Seeds - £3.69 - Thompson & Morgan - Sow By 12/2019
                        Brodie F1- 40 Seeds - £3.45 - Mr Fothergill's - Sow By 2021
                        Evesham Special - 500 Seeds - £1.89 - Mr Fothergill's - Sow By 2018
                        Evesham Special - 500 Seeds - £1.89 - Mr Fothergill's - Sow By 2020
                        Nelson - 40 Seeds - £3.45 - Mr Fothergill's - Sow By 2020

RRP Listed but most picked up in the Wyevale 50p seed sales

Remember like a puppy a Sprout is not just for Christmas, but unlike a puppy it can be eaten all year round.
                        Last edited by Cadalot; 31-10-2017, 10:08 PM.
                        sigpic
                        . .......Man Vs Slug
                        Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                        Nutters Club Member

Comment

I'm not sending you Catskill (only 3 seeds in the HSL packet ) or Maximus & Sanda (only a few left).
                          The red ones, Rubine, Red Ball and Red Bull look identical but different suppliers. They've used the same photo for Rubine & Red Ball!
                          There'll be 13 packets in the post very soon

Deano - I have a spare packet of Brest & Bedford Winter Harvest if you'd like them.

Comment

even with all the space I have I have decided sprouts are off the menu. Too long in the ground to just end up on the compost heap.

Have fun though peeps

Comment

I'm not sending you Catskill (only 3 seeds in the HSL packet ) or Maximus & Sanda (only a few left).
                              The red ones, Rubine, Red Ball and Red Bull look identical but different suppliers. They've used the same photo for Rubine & Red Ball!
                              There'll be 13 packets in the post very soon

Deano - I have a spare packet of Brest & Bedford Winter Harvest if you'd like them.
                              Thank you VC !
                              13 is still a ridiculous amount of sprout varieties !!!
                              Some of them sound very cool. I'm going to grow a few of your early half tall and a few of mine to see if suppliers make a difference.

Deano I can send you some early half tall if you like.

Comment

Ermmmmmmm, I haven't included Early half Tall as I knew you had them
                                This feels a bit like Happy Sprout families - I'll swap you ??? for %%% so that we all send up with the same set
                                GL, its not like you to wimp out of a brassica challenge!! (but I know what you mean about the time they take).
                                I'm going to sow a few seeds today, overwinter them in modules, plant out in spring and see if I can pick some in summer - just because I don't see why you can't!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X