Daubentons variegated - good value??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    I found a translate thingy on my mouse afterwards - right click, I think.

"Simply take the amount of cabbage you need on your foot. You will get several crops per year. This cabbage is resistant to cold, but its vivacity is limited to 3-4 years because its trunk as it ages tends to burst and therefore favor the diseases and the nests of insects. The regular consumption of cabbage helps to guard against many ailments. It can also be eaten or made into syrup."

Syrup!!!!
    So glad I didn't have a cuppa. Ummm cabbage kale syrup - yum!

Comment

Oops, sorry... I skipped over the variegated part... principally because I didn't know what it meant. So it was Daubenton Daubenton (you know what I mean) I failed to grow, not Daubenton variegated. My seeds were from the virtual seed swap but good to know where to get more from.

Comment

From memory, the VSP Daubenton seeds were sent in by Hazel the Hill who picked them up at a Garden Organic/HSL seed swap. Sow some more

Comment

From memory, the VSP Daubenton seeds were sent in by Hazel the Hill who picked them up at a Garden Organic/HSL seed swap. Sow some more
          I haven't ever looked at the HSL, for some reason, so will do. Thanks.

Comment

I've looked at that site in the past but never bought anything. They have proper French tarragon... Might get some next year if they're as good as you say. Thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

Gosh - who'd have thought a kale could cause so much discussion!

Still torn - I want it because it's pretty and unusual, & would go in the flower bed not the veg plot.

On the other hand, 12 quid for a kale is a lot of money - but not for an ornamental plant that grows big and is easily propogater. Aaaaarrrgh.

No idea what to do. Not from Pennard plants though...
              Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Buy it as an investment - in fact, buy several and save on the P&P.
                Grow them on, take lots of cuttings and sell them to all those who also want one.
                It'll be a nice little earner, and, as your manager, I'll take 50% commission on all sales

Comment

Originally posted by happyhumph View Post
                  Gosh - who'd have thought a kale could cause so much discussion!

Still torn - I want it because it's pretty and unusual, & would go in the flower bed not the veg plot.

On the other hand, 12 quid for a kale is a lot of money - but not for an ornamental plant that grows big and is easily propogater. Aaaaarrrgh.

No idea what to do. Not from Pennard plants though...
                  Make sure you have babies safe over winter each year as I would be surprised for a parent plant to go through winter without at least suffering let alone dying

Comment

If it's "Slow-growing and tender" is it likely to work well as an ornamental plant, given that brassicas are prone to being ravaged by Cabbage Whites? Just asking. I sense, anyway, that you're itching to go for it so... go for it. You know you want to... And, yes, who'd've thought there was so much to say about kale, lol. Love this site.

Comment

Buy it as an investment - in fact, buy several and save on the P&P.
                      Grow them on, take lots of cuttings and sell them to all those who also want one.
                      It'll be a nice little earner, and, as your manager, I'll take 50% commission on all sales
                      I'll do 10% for you, but I expect a full viral marketing campaign please - get it on some trendy clean eating bloggers thread!
                      Another happy Nutter...

Comment

20% and I'll promote it on http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...light=assorted

Comment

Looking at your list makes me feel better - only 3 at the moment (although more planned for next year....)
                          Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X