Newbie - Veg Plot Life Span

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie - Veg Plot Life Span

Good afternoon, everyone - what an amazing website!

I'm a newbie to veg gardening and I wondered where I can find out the life span of my veg plants, as next year due to age/kneeling limitations we are going to have raised beds.

We moved to a rural area and have been gifted with agricultural land, if, being on top of a mountain, it's too windy to grow climbing stuff, except sweet peas.

I've read loads of books but perhaps the wrong ones as I can't find much information after what happens after harvest.

I have dwarf broad beans, mini corn, brussels sprouts (BIG mistake!), onions and leeks.

Even if there's an article or a link I can go to, to find out when everything dies - I know the leeks & onions, hopefully, will be dug up for use, which effectively ends them, and the broad beans will be dug back into the soil - I just don't know when.

Please forgive if this is a muddled question. Look forward to 'meeting' everyone, and thanks in advance.

AM xxx

Our memorial plot, which is dedicated to our dads:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	KHMVP 260617.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	2404699
    sigpic

From Planet of the Apes to Animal Farm: a record of our first year in a microscopic country village with more cows and stars than people -

Hi and welcome to the Vine! Love your name but I'm sure your not really
    Dedicating your veg plot to your Dads is such a nice idea. I'm sure they'd be delighted by it.
    Most veg are annuals, grown, eaten and leftover bits composted during, at most, 12 months.
    There are some perennial veg, but they are the exceptions and you probably don't have any at the moment.
    Think about what parts of a veg you eat, and that will tell you when its finished. Carrots & root veg, cabbages are one offs. You destroy the plant in order to eat it.
    Beans and peas, tomatoes, sprouts, sprouting broccoli you keep picking until the end of their season. Sprouts and broccoli will be with you over winter and finish next spring.
    You need a compost bin for all the inedible bits and that will help fill your raised beds next year.
    We love questions here and are happy to help. So pull up a chair and make yourself at home

Comment

Hello Aunty and welcome to the Vine
      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Hello Aunty & welcome if you're growing a minipop type of sweetcorn they're ready earlier than corn on the cob type of corn,they're harvested before the chance of pollination but probably around August,before the sprouts.

Comment

Hi Aunty, nothing to add but wanted to say hello and welcome to the vine.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
          ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
          ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine Aunty
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Welcome to The Vine Aunty
              Nannys make memories

Comment

Ditto from I! ^^^^^^^^^^^^
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I just have to ask: why was growing Brussels sprouts a BIG mistake? If it's because of the windy site (), you can stake them to give them more support.

Anyway, veggiechicken gave a good rundown. I've nothing to add either, except that some plants, like onions, tell you when it's time to harvest them because the leaves die. Others, like lettuce, tell you you've left it a bit late by sticking up a flower head. I pick leeks when I think they're big enough!

Also just wanted to add my hello. If there's any veg in particular you want to know about, someone on here is bound to have the answer.

Good luck.

Comment

Welcome to the vine Aunty.

You've probably managed a first, since we all seem to agree! Normally you ask a question and get 6 different answers, but that's gardening for you. Don't worry if you make mistakes with things - everyone does, and there is always next year.
                    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Hello Aunty, welcome to the vine. I'm relatively new too but one thing I'm learning from many questions I've seen and posted myself on the vine is that you should just give things a try and see what happens. It won't take you long to see what works and doesn't grow in your environment.

Kind Regards.........Rob

Comment

Hi and welcome!
                        https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hello and welcome from me too - am also curious, why were the brussels a mistake?
                          http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Hi and welcome to the madhouse, I'm another one that wants to know why sprouts are a big mistake! Sprouts are like puppies they are not just for Christmas
                            sigpic
                            . .......Man Vs Slug
                            Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                            Nutters Club Member

Comment

D

Go my odd!!!!!

veggiechicken, Mr Bones, Jungle Jane, Jay-ell, Bren in Pots (my mum-in-law is a Brenda), Nannysally99, Snoop Puss, Penellype, Dynamite, SarissUK, sparrow100, Cadalot -

THANK YOU SO MUCH! (apologies for shouting)

You guys are complete superstars. I'm so honoured to be able to be a part of such a grand community.

Also it's people like you that make gardening fun.

I wish I could have you all round for a drink. Or a cuppa, whatever's your pref.

Maybe I should change my name to just 'Social'

xxxxx
                              sigpic

From Planet of the Apes to Animal Farm: a record of our first year in a microscopic country village with more cows and stars than people -

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X