No announcement yet.

How's everyone's aubergines doing 2017?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update. Ate the first ones this evening, they might have grown a little bigger but I didn't want them to go dull or be full of seeds. How are everyone elses doing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0034.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	2373483

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0039.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	2373484
    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Mine are slowly dying.
      He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
        Mine are slowly dying.
        Ah no. I wonder if it's just not warm enough for them up there Bario. Mine in the lotty tunnel struggled until night time temps picked up.
        Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Who knows? They were going great guns in May, then they stopped growing, and the lower leaves went a bit floppy, now the lower leaves are yellow and the floppiness is moving upwards through the plants. Same happens every year.
          He-Pep!

Comment

I spotted my first fruit forming this morning on the money maker.
            Early long purple & black beauty are still flowering.
            Black beauty seems to be quite a small plant? Is that normal? Never grown them before.

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
              Black beauty seems to be quite a small plant? Is that normal? Never grown them before.
              I grew black beauty a few years ago and they didn't make big plants. I put it down to me/weather etc but who knows. The lotty tunnel plants (money maker) are only around the foot high stage but they're producing and consequently the fruit's dangling on the ground.
              Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                Who knows? They were going great guns in May, then they stopped growing, and the lower leaves went a bit floppy, now the lower leaves are yellow and the floppiness is moving upwards through the plants. Same happens every year.
                Something I've just remembered Bario, can't for the life of me recall where I read it (except it seemed a reliable source at the time) but it recommended using bonemeal under aubergines to improve root structure and said they really benefit from it. From what you say about your plants I wonder if it could be small roots.
                Location ... Nottingham

Comment

My black Beauty plants 2 greenhouse and 1 outdoors look like they will produce flowers but it then falls off before a proper flower opens so no fruit or chance to dab with a paint brush yet..... fingers crossed I get something before end of season......

Comment

Eggplants, aka, aubergines. I have to remember that.

Those are real beauties!

Which came first, the aubergine or the egg ... plant? (I'd better not give up my day job.)
                    Last edited by DWSmith; 07-07-2017, 06:48 PM.
                    Nutter's Club member.

Comment

Can you have too many aubergines on a plant?
                      I've got one aubergine plant in my allotment.
                      It's growing outdoors in the ground and I'm in the North of England so I didn't really have much hope for it. I've currently got 16 aubergines on it and quite a few new flowers as well.
                      Admittedly, the biggest two are only about four inches long but it's doing really well.
                      Should I be thinning out the fruit? I've heard people say that you should only leave 3 or 4 fruit per plant but I'm reluctant to get rid of any of them.
                      The variety is "Jackpot" if that helps.

Comment

Wow Lymmguineas, I'm impressed - I can't help you with thinning I'm afraid, I've never had that 'problem'.
                        He-Pep!

Comment

Looks like you've hit the jackpot!

On a less silly note, I see these are described as "prolific" and "producing copious amounts of fruit". So if I were you, I'd leave them and pick them when they're ready. The thing with aubergines is I find it's actually a bit difficult to tell when they're ripe. Picking a bit early is better than a bit late (they go a bit leathery), and will probably encourage the plant to produce more flowers.

For anyone struggling to grow aubergines, Jackpot might be a winner.

Comment

One plant has NO fruit on it

I cut two round beauties today from the other one - they aren't huge, but they're a joy to behold

Comment

The 2 Money maker have fruit coming. 2 Black beauty and 2 early long purple flowering but no sign of setting fruit.

Comment

I'm growing several varieties: Jackpot, Czech early, Farmers Long, Ping Tung and Prosperosa. All are outdoors, either in pots or in the ground on my allotment. First fruits are just setting now for me, Jackpot is furthest ahead although I wouldn't rely exclusively on that variety as the fruits are small. I'm really impressed with Czech early, the plants are really beautiful.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X