Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lovely and sunny here in Essex today, but rain expected later.

I've got a few days off work coming up so I'll be able to get back to my potting area project. My cheapo plastic growhouse arrives today so I'll be putting that up and I've got a few Ikea deliveries due tomorrow too.

Speaking of greenhouse-sort of things, is it too early to put anything in there during the day? We're getting daytime temps in the 9-14C range and overnights around 5C. I'd like to put my chilli and tomato seedlings which I've just recently pricked out into their own pots, during the day at least. Is it too early?

Comment

• Oops, so much for regular tiny steps. Last post was 24.03 and there is not much point planning for the next week or so.

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
      finish (started) bed in flower patch and cover - done
      refix gh pane - change of plans started new bed so I could have the grass and weeds to fill the hole the chooks had made so I could stop them destroying what were meant to be flower beds.

Weekends jobs

Plant euc.
      Plant willow
      Plant holly
      Plant sea lavender
      Plant euc. - I have planted 2 of 4
      Plant willow - I have done
      Plant holly - done 6 of 8
      Plant sea lavender - I have done 6 of 10 plugs

Also done - dug mallow from buddleia border, planted lavatera (Barnsley summin) lilac assortment and buddleia sungold into buddleia border. Some pricking out. Seed hokey cokey, some seed sowing and hunted and removed hairy bittercress. Finished the flowercart and moneybox (can't believe I almost forgot that).

When I get a chance

finish weeding border
      sow some more seeds
      plant out plugs in flower patch

Hopefully weekend

sort out meadow patch

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post

Speaking of greenhouse-sort of things, is it too early to put anything in there during the day? We're getting daytime temps in the 9-14C range and overnights around 5C. I'd like to put my chilli and tomato seedlings which I've just recently pricked out into their own pots, during the day at least. Is it too early?
        Obviously it depends on how the weather goes, but I've put some of my tomato seedlings which are around 9" high now out in the poyltunnel to see how they do. I have kept some others back in the conservatory just in case.

Comment

• Got a soaking at the plot - went home for a coffee - got changed and back to the plot - pulled out a couple of buckets of couch and planted the last of my spuds - huzzah!

Mrs Balders appears to be taking it v. easy today - so I have bolted down some lunch and am hoping to sneak out to the GH to do some pottering / potting on.
          sigpic
          1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

• Wednesday jobs
            Plant 4 buckets of Sarpo Axona potatoes at allotment - done
            Weed potato buckets at allotment - done some
            Feed indoor tomatoes and peppers - done
            Sow carrots - no
            Harvest salads, parsnip - done

Also removed another 20 buckets of water from the paths in the garden as it was about an inch deep after each heavy shower.

No gardening tomorrow, which is forecast to be a nice sunny day with no rain!!!!!!! Maybe the tide will go out a bit.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Today/Wednesday

Sowed a bunch of seeds indoors and potted on a some sad little seedlings that were sown in early February. Dragged the compost bag indoors and joked that I hoped I didn't bring in a squirrel, as they have moved into the garage. Found a whole peanut (kindly provided by neighbor for squirrels) in the compost. Blah.

Weather forecast still says no rain and a bit of sun for tomorrow, so fingers crossed.

Comment

• Today I will be mostly assembling stuff for the garden from Ikea!

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                  Today I will be mostly assembling stuff for the garden from Ikea!
                  Ugh. I’m a pretty experienced hand when it comes to IKEA but this Hindo range is a bit of a nightmare. I’ve only managed the potting table so far. Not quite finished in fact. I did get the grow house up though!

Comment

• Thursday

Well...I didn't do anything I planned to do.

The row cover experiment is postponed until at least this weekend. The pictures were a no-go as the seed heads I planned to photograph actually do not exist...

I did do some digging and some soil-hogging-weed-root piling up. Also recovered some of my beloved soil from the roots. If only it could be this texture and consistency every day. Cut down three medium-sized holly bushes (read: got 101 tiny jabs).

Tonight/tomorrow

I plan to sow some more seeds. We inherited some seeds with the house which are <ahem> somewhat less than fresh.

Dig some more.

Comment

• Yesterday I managed to find time to rig up a shelf inside the plastic tunnel at home to start hardening off some pea seedlings, to make room for more germinating peas in the grow light garden.

Friday jobs
                      Take fleece off onions at allotment as they are starting to get too big
                      Put up pea netting
                      Dig more of tunnel if ground has dried enough
                      Sow carrots
                      Harvest calabrese, leeks
                      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Strim the paths on the plot. Some weeding. Get some bagged compost in the GH to warm up.
                        Try to get the last bits of duckweed out of the pond on the plot... probably won't succeed but its a windy day so that might help blow t to the side.
                        sigpic
                        1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

• Very pleased with todays jobbies:-

Planted out plugs in 3m flower patch bed
                          4 barrows of spent/ dead plants sent to compost heap
                          potted on chillies and some other odds and ends
                          pricked out asters, cornflowers, rose campion and cape gooseberry.
                          spring cleaned hive
                          rigged up new hose nozzle jobbie
                          sorted and rinsed wormery

Still when I get a chance

finish weeding border
                          sow some more seeds
                          plant out more plugs in flower patch

Hopefully weekend

sort out meadow patch

Comment

• Friday jobs
                            Take fleece off onions at allotment as they are starting to get too big - done
                            Put up pea netting - done
                            Dig more of tunnel if ground has dried enough - done some
                            Sow carrots - done and put some more peas to chit
                            Harvest calabrese, leeks - done leeks

Also potted up flower and cabbage seedlings and the hanging basket raspberry that has been sitting in the growhouse all winter (it has started to produce new leaves). Trimmed dead leaves of some of the strawberry plants and potted up 4 of last year's runners into a MFB. Trimmed some of the grass edges at the allotment as they were getting long and put 2 buckets of compost ready in my friend's greenhouse so I can plant potatoes tomorrow.

Weekend jobs (very likely to be wet)

At home
                            Tidy garage
                            Remove tomato plant that has died (no idea why) from sitting room windowsill
                            Sow some leeks
                            Mow lawns if dry (extremely unlikely)
                            Harvest salads, calabrese, carrots

At my friend's
                            Feed slugs to chickens
                            Plant 5 Arran Pilot and 5 Charlotte potatoes
                            Take peas to greenhouse to make room in grow light garden
                            Harvest broccoli

At allotment
                            Continue digging in tunnel if possible
                            Shred leylandii
                            Weeding especially under hedge

Comment

• Today

I plan to sow some more seeds. We inherited some seeds with the house which are <ahem> somewhat less than fresh. - Done. I forgot that I had some more seeds that I purchased this year as well...Planted summer squash, courgette, aubergine, rocket, and a spicy salad leaf mix.

Dig some more. - Oh yes. Always more digging. I have about 1/3 a full-sized plot and I think this makes about 1/2 my area (since summer last year). Slow going but feels like an accomplishment. I also recovered some more soil.

I'm feeling sad that my forecast is full of raindrop cartoons. Not sure what I'll be up to in the next few days.

Comment

• Weekend jobs

At home
                                Tidy garage - no
                                Remove tomato plant that has died (no idea why) from sitting room windowsill - done
                                Sow some leeks - no, sowed carrots and turnips instead
                                Mow lawns if dry (extremely unlikely) - no
                                Harvest salads, calabrese, carrots - done plus kale and komatsuna

Also planted out peas and cauliflowers and moved calabrese, pak choi and beetroot out from under covers to make room for cauliflowers and carrots.

At my friend's
                                Feed slugs to chickens - done
                                Plant 5 Arran Pilot and 5 Charlotte potatoes - done, also 9 Desiree
                                Take peas to greenhouse to make room in grow light garden - no
                                Harvest broccoli - no

Also planted out lettuces into hotbed.

At allotment
                                Continue digging in tunnel if possible - done some
                                Shred leylandii - done some
                                Weeding especially under hedge - done a bit

Also planted out cauliflowers and harvested rhubarb.

Turned into a really pleasant weekend, with very little rain (although not very sunny). Therefore I got a lot more done than I expected. Hopefully the lawns will be dry enough for their first cut tomorrow.

Monday jobs (work permitting)
                                Mow lawns if possible (another deluge expected on Tuesday)
                                Compost bin should arrive - take to plot and assemble
                                Turn compost if time
                                Sow leeks and more carrots
                                Harvest salads, spinach, brokali
                                Last edited by Penellype; 08-04-2018, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X