Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its precipitating it down but I'm not in the mood for house jobs and I got most of my GH related sowing done yesterday - may have to don my waterproofs and get to the plot - there's another raised bed to sort out...
    sigpic
    1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

• "rattle trap" is good - it shows the true allotment spirit - let your inner bodger out.

Comment

• "Rattle trap" isn't a phrase I've come across before but it sums up my 'style' pretty well.
        I'm on the plot committee - and we really do use the look of my plot as a base-level "Newbie plot-holder - don't let your plot look worse than *that* one" benchmark

Anyhow - have had a productive morning and weather permitting intend to go back this evening and burn off a fair bit of detritus.
        sigpic

Comment

• One of my friends at school used to act as a similar "bookend" in maths class - anyone arriving after Dave was officially designated as being late, to be punished accordingly - don't remember anyone actually falling foul of this bye-law.

Comment

• Rip out all the wild rocket taking over my two summer patches. Did some today. The ground is so wet, they're not too bad to get rid off. There's loads, but each plant is so huge that just ripping out a few looks like you've made a big difference.

After that, I think it will be time to start sowing. I'm miles behind you lot. No greenhouse and no sunny windows, so everything apart from the toms has to survive outdoors this year.

Comment

• I believe that rain has officially stopped play
              I am indulging in a small(ish) tincture as it is still the weekend and shall concentrate on cooking the Sunday roast (and possibly annoying folk here, on FaceAche and in real life

Tomorrow if the rain lets up I'll try to get a couple of bags of spent compost up to the plot to get the third raised bed finished off.
              Last edited by Baldy; 15-04-2018, 04:16 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

• - oh - and make up some paper pots and get my swift sweetcorn sown...
                sigpic

Comment

• Hopefully transporting /walking some timber planks to the plot (hoping they will balance on wheelbarrow as they are 4’ too long for car), done
                  and finish the second bed on my new ‘terrace’ , nearly done
                  If time, plant spuds too. Too tired!
                  Last edited by Chestnut; 16-04-2018, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• I remember bringing back some larch lap boards about 15' long for a shed on top of my Volvo - hadn't bargained on how bendy they'd be - could barely see out - didn't help that it was snowing a bit at the time and I didn't have any waterproof gloves I could use when tying them on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post

Still when I get a chance

finish weeding border
                      sow some more seeds
                      plant out more plugs in flower patch

Hopefully weekend

sort out meadow patch
                      Today

Cut grass path in meadow patch
                      Put flower cart out
                      Foraged some foliage
                      Sowed some lupins
                      Cut and arranged some flowers

Still when I get a chance

finish weeding border
                      sow some more seeds
                      plant out more plugs in flower patch
                      sort out meadow patch

Hopefully with better weather and end of school holidays I can get stuck in this week

Comment

• Weekend jobs

Open all cloches, covers and greenhouse in anticipation of sunshine! done, but closed again now.

At my friend's
                        Take pea seedlings to greenhouse - done
                        Water greenhouse plants and check potatoes - done
                        Remove bolted mizuna - done
                        Weeding - done

At home
                        Mulch apple tree (should have been done ages ago but no access from flooded lawn) - done
                        Put self watering trays under strawberries in anticipation of hot weather - done
                        Pot up Shirley tomatoes - no
                        Feed tomatoes and peppers - done
                        Apply nematodes if weather suitable - no (too sunny!)
                        Remove overwintered mizuna, namenia and komatsuna (bolted/eaten) - done komatsuna
                        Harvest salads, leeks, spinach, carrots and the most urgent of calabrese, brokali and PSB - done most

At allotment
                        Sow leeks - done
                        Plant Meteor peas - done
                        Put net back on tunnel while not windy - done
                        Shred leylandii - done some
                        Weed tunnel - done some
                        Harvest rhubarb, salads - done

Also sowed some calabrese and some more lettuce in the hotbed at the allotment.

A really productive weekend as things had just started to dry out, and guess what - now its pouring down again.
                        Last edited by Penellype; 15-04-2018, 07:54 PM.
                        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Definitely something constructive around the farm....the choices are so many, the motivation so little. Send any motivation this way if you can.
                          Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

• Originally posted by Feral007 View Post
                            Definitely something constructive around the farm....the choices are so many, the motivation so little. Send any motivation this way if you can.
                            If motivation is little, pick something that you can see progress with, preferably fairly quickly.
                            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Monday jobs
                              Pot up Shirley tomatoes
                              Sieve compost for carrots
                              Weeding at allotment especially near/under hedge (speedwell & nettles)
                              Trim long bits of grass at allotment
                              Shred more leylandii
                              Harvest salads, spinach, broccoli

Comment

• Today/tomorrow

Recover some soil from my clods
                                Poke hopefully at the compost bins
                                Trim the tops off the ornamental grass in an attempt to find the roots to dig out
                                Spread some of my inherited compost/finely prepared soil on the plantable areas
                                Rearrange the covers for the plantable areas and the clod piles
                                Trim down some holly

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X