• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend jobs

At my friend's
    Check lettuces and seedlings in greenhouse have enough water - done
    Wrap potato buckets in greenhouse with bubble wrap - done

At home
    Remove any snow from cloches and nets - not necessary as gale force wind blew it off for me.
    Adjust plans slightly to compensate for later harvests of things like spinach and beetroot that are not growing - in progress
    Pot up cauliflowers if arrive - done
    Tidy up last year's indoor tomato and pepper plants (still fruiting in places) - done
    Harvest salads, brokali (if not frozen), carrots - done except salads (had soup instead), also harvested 2 french beans from under the grow lights.

At allotment
    Check for snow and remove from tunnels and cloches - not required
    Collect snow into trugs if enough - too damn cold

Although we had very frequent snow showers, that wasn't a problem as most of it blew away as fast as it fell. The real issue was the bitterly cold and very strong wind, which blew the top off the pea tray at the allotment and the plastic cover off the potatoes at home. I did what I absolutely had to in terms of repairing the damage and potting up the cauliflowers, which the instructions said to plant straight into the soil. I think this would kill them, as would leaving them as they arrived, so I had little choice. When I went to bring them in last night the glass on the growhouse was frozen to the frame and it took a while to get them out of there, so they spent today on the floor just inside the garden door.

Monday jobs (weather and work permitting)
    Going to be tricky to get much done at all as I have to take my car in for a service and MOT and get a lift back which can take upto an hour, then repeat the process to collect it in the afternoon.
    Walk down and check allotment for wind damage
    Plant some potatoes if weather has warmed up enough (doubtful)
    Harvest salads, kohlrabi
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Tomorrow is to be my first day of seed sowing. All chillies going in, which involves tidying and clearing (cleaning??) the kitchen area and setting up a propagator. Eeep.

And for some fresh air I can stroll up to the plot and have another go at whomping the boundary hedge with my loppers.
      http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

• Now I've finished a very unusual day at work I'm going to sow seeds

Comment

• I can't see me getting much done now (not off the list anyway). Toms potted up and coat of paint on moneybox done.

Tomorrow - sow sweet peas and some more moneybox painting.

Comment

• Monday jobs
            Walk down and check allotment for wind damage - done, all ok
            Plant some potatoes if weather has warmed up enough (doubtful) - no, put a couple of buckets to warm in the sun in the plastic tunnel
            Harvest salads, kohlrabi - done salads

Also potted up 24 cornflower seedlings and put the plastic cover back up over the raised beds.

Tuesday jobs
            Put up raspberry supports at allotment
            Plant some potatoes if compost is warm enough
            Harvest kohlrabi, parsnip
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Tuesday jobs
              Put up raspberry supports at allotment - done
              Plant some potatoes if compost is warm enough - done, I have now nearly got to where I was "meant" to be by the end of February!
              Harvest kohlrabi, parsnip - done

Also rearranged the growhouse to accommodate some of the potatoes and pulled out a few weed seedlings at the allotment.

Wednesday jobs (work permitting)
              Check plants under covers for water situation and water if necessary
              Move tomato plants to sitting room windowsill (getting too big for grow lights)
              Pot up balconi tomatoes
              Chop more weeds at allotment
              Harvest salads, leeks, calabrese.

Comment

• Yesterday
                sow sweet peas - started
                more moneybox painting. - done, more to do at weekend

Today
                painted flowercart - almost done
                start weeding random flower border - done

Tomorrow
                sort compost area
                weed rest of border

Comment

• Wednesday jobs
                  Check plants under covers for water situation and water if necessary - done
                  Move tomato plants to sitting room windowsill - done
                  Pot up balconi tomatoes - done
                  Chop more weeds at allotment - done
                  Harvest salads, leeks, calabrese - done

Also sowed some Douce Provence peas for the allotment and moved some of the strawberry plants into the cold frame in the hope of bringing them on a little. They are still looking much as I would expect them to do in January, with dying leaves and no new growth.

Nothing doing tomorrow - busy all day.

Comment

• Must weed the saisai radish leaves in the greenhouse. I suspect there's still a really good crop lurking under there, but at the moment it's drowned in chickweed.

Comment

• sort compost area - worst done
                      weed rest of border - nope illness claimed the rest of my day

did plant my Chilean guava plants/ cuttings
                      tried to plant my Worcester berries only to find vine weevils claimed 3 of the 4 plants (little gets!!! grrr!)

Tomorrow

finish (started) bed in flower patch and cover
                      refix gh pane
                      Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 22-03-2018, 04:00 PM.

Comment

• General tidy up. Riddled loads of spoil topsoil to fill borders. Used Riddled stones around beds for walking areas. Planted turmeric

Comment

• Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
                          weed rest of border - nope illness claimed the rest of my day
                          Sorry to hear that NG - don't over-do it!

Comment

• Managed to get the raspberries planted at the allotment yesterday, thanks to getting up very early.

Friday jobs (work permitting)
                            Check clematis, which looks ominously like the wind has snapped it off at the bottom
                            Plant 2 buckets of Charlotte potatoes
                            Sow carrots, spinach
                            Weeding at allotment
                            Dig fruit bed if dry enough
                            Harvest salads, beetroot, carrots

Comment

• Originally posted by Penellype View Post
                              Sorry to hear that NG - don't over-do it!
                              Thank you, it wasn't me suffering this time. I had to pick my youngest up from pre-school due to a tummy bug. She had a sickness bug last weekend and Hubby had a bug this week as well. I guess I will get summin by the weekend.

Comment

• Friday jobs
                                Check clematis, which looks ominously like the wind has snapped it off at the bottom - yes, the stem with the most leaves on has broken off at ground level
                                Plant 2 buckets of Charlotte potatoes - done, plus a bucket of Desiree.
                                Sow carrots, spinach - done carrots
                                Weeding at allotment - not really
                                Dig fruit bed if dry enough - done
                                Harvest salads, beetroot, carrots - done carrots

Also took some lettuces to my friend's greenhouse to make room in the grow light garden for germinating peas.

Weekend jobs

At my friend's
                                Plant 4 buckets of Lady C potatoes in greenhouse (should have been done in February...)
                                Check vegetable garden and remove any weeds
                                Take remains of tomato compost to allotment
                                Harvest broccoli if ready

At home
                                Pot up lettuces
                                Plant out meteor peas
                                Sow spinach, cabbage
                                Harvest salads, beetroot, kale

At allotment
                                Weed strawberries
                                Weeding in tunnel
                                Tidy out shed
                                Slug hunt
                                Last edited by Penellype; 23-03-2018, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X