No announcement yet.

A Kale yard

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes please will send sae.if you send me your address.Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
      Don't encourage her......................
      VC doesn't need encouragement - she can do mad plans a by herself

P.s - loving the look of the tall kales - suspect they'd blow over in my garden....
      Another happy Nutter...

Comment

VC I love this plan and I want to see pictures of your veritable forest when it is complete!

What number bed is it going in though, does it count as growing salad and does it attract butterflies?

Comment

VC, can you only sow them on a Tuesday and only do anything on the bed on the 23rd of the month. Not going to go fast if you can only sow directly on Tuesday the 23rd - that's going to be May and January.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
          ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
          ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by vixylix View Post
            VC I love this plan and I want to see pictures of your veritable forest when it is complete!

What number bed is it going in though, does it count as growing salad and does it attract butterflies?
            Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
            VC, can you only sow them on a Tuesday and only do anything on the bed on the 23rd of the month. Not going to go fast if you can only sow directly on Tuesday the 23rd - that's going to be May and January.
            Sometimes I have the feeling that you're mocking me and my ideas!

The Kale Yard will not be a numbered bed! Edible areas like the Spud patch, Rhubarb room etc are excluded from the One a day system! However, sowing the seeds may take place in Leaves week - which is this week.

Comment

I like the idea of a rhubarb room! In honour of the traditional rhubarb growing triangle I have my new rhubarb in a triangular raised bed.

Sorry - going of tangent (sorry, couldn't resist!)
              Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Cabbage white caterpillars the size of Anacondas
                Feed the soil, not the plants.
                (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
                Bob

Comment

2018 update

Remember all the cuttings in #9 https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ml#post1520733

They're bursting to escape their cage - and flowering!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9541.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	2378237

Today, will be the great unboxing - as I think its time to give them their heads and roam free. The chooks will be happy.
                  Incidentally, as this is Plot 18, its also the free range radish area.

All will be revealed later. Bet you're all on the edges of your seats with excitement.

Comment

Is a yard of kale like a yard of ale but healthier?
                    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Its very similar but greener.

Can you imagine..........Pint of Kale Ale please. One fpr the GR to stock perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        I want to grow a Kale yard! Not in the Scots sense of a vegetable garden but in the VC sense of a "yard" full of kale (or tall cabbages).
                        They will be tall - a kale forest. Above the heads of puppies and chooks to stop them grazing but, once established I'll happily share. Tough bottom leaves for them, succulent young leaves for me. Sounds fair.
                        Those of you who've been around for a while will know about my weakness for growing kale http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...light=assorted
                        Time for another nutty kale-induced thread
                        I love this idea. I’m growing kale in every area that it wasn’t grown in last year. Having a go at Redbor and Scarlet in the hope that the snails and slugs will leave them alone and also Black Magic for now. Debating which green varieties to order. Wish I could grow chard but it always gets annihilated by leaf miner. I’ve decided that in a small garden it makes sense to grow leafy veg, toms and cukes... all of which are plentiful... in a good year.

Comment

They're out!!! A bit crunched up but I'm sure their posture will improve soon.
                          Needless to say, the chooks found them. As long as they stick to the lower leaves, I don't mind. Plenty to share. Sorry about my elbow and Ted's rear end! Bess has lost her head in a molehill.

Name:	DSCF9609.jpg
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	2378244

To the left of Plot 18 there's a cluster of some sort of kale/brassica that is busy self seeding. Its untouched by pests - even the chooks don't seem interested in it.

Name:	DSCF9616.jpg
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	2378245

Spud says Hello!

Name:	DSCF9619.jpg
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	2378246
                          Last edited by veggiechicken; 13-05-2018, 07:39 PM. Reason: confused they're & their

Comment

I see mother is being a bad influence .

Comment

Update on the kale grown from cuttings that star in #27. the chooks, dogs and bees love them - I'm quite partial to the odd leaf too.

1st April

Name:	100_0373.JPG
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	2383305

Today

Name:	100_0444.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	2383304
                              Last edited by veggiechicken; 28-04-2019, 12:33 PM.

Comment

^The bees will go mad for that lot.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X