No announcement yet.

No show peas (Again)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started some peas in nests of cotton wool last year - that worked.
    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ml#post1518647

Comment

Marb67 what temperature have you kept them at ?

Comment

In the kitchen which is cool but not as cold as greenhouse or outside.

Comment

I am like Penn as soon as they show a 'tadpole tail' they go in compost, no watering at this stage or they could rot.

We got 94 to sprout out of 100 and now have over 80 plantlets in the GH more to come I hope. Started to chit a few more as I like 100 plants to cram in the containers so sooner to many than not enough.
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Didn't want to start a new thread for this question as it's about peas... I have started a few of my peas off early on the kitchen windowsill and they're going well. However even though I've grown peas for the last few years, I'm having a complete brain meltdown about when I can plant them out!

Do I need to wait until last frost which is meant to be the end of April here? Or if I harden them off will the be ok out before that. They're a few inches tall and trying to grab my tomato plants growing next to them so I'm keen to get them out for more space ha

Thanks in advance and sorry for hijacking the thread

Comment

Harden them off for a few days if possible, but peas are v. hardy so unless we get more snow they should be fine outside.

BTW a few bits of plastic or similar down on the ground where you plan on planting stuff out is also a good idea, as it helps if the soil is warmed a bit before the plants get put out in it.
              Last edited by nickdub; 09-04-2018, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Thank you! Will be able to get them out by the end of the week hopefully and get a bit of window space back for everything else hurray!

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
                  In the kitchen which is cool but not as cold as greenhouse or outside.
                  Had a look at one of my peas potted last monday after soaking seeds a few hours , kept near kitchen rad and had about 2cm shoot on it so yours are a bit slow, could it be a seed issue ?
                  Last edited by It never rains..it pours; 09-04-2018, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Marb, are your seeds saved from a previous harvest or are they purchased seeds? My saved pale pea seeds turned out to have a maggot inside so were never going to do anything. The saved green ones did OK.

Comment

Purchased seeds

Comment

How long ago, Marb?

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
                          But they are 3 different varieties, different dates so at least some should sprout. It just seems everythng I touch goes wrong.
                          hmmm.
                          I’m hearing warning bells here. Is it fresh compost? Could it be contaminated? Thinking residual weed killers. Worth trying a different compost? Have other seeds in the same compost grown?

Comment

I've said it before Marb - but have you ever considered golf or Morris dancing or something ???
                            .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

2Sheds method works again

40 plants per planter.
                              Attached Files
                              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

My Meteors that I started in fibre pots mid-February, left in the enclosed but unheated porch to try and slow them down a bit then planted out the second week of March under a little fleece "tent" seem very happy.

I took the tent off the other day - it was a veritable jungle under there ;-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X