No announcement yet.

No show peas (Again)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great!! Come back and tell us how long they take to germinate please.

Comment

Don't worry Marb at least you are trying - mine are still in the packet.
      I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

I hate to say it but IMO it's a tad early for runner beans.....
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Put some Kelvedon Wonder to chit last Saturday and already they are starting to come through, from now on the will be put in their individual pots until we plant up in their final postition

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Using Two Shed's chitting procedure I thought some may be interested in the results so far.

I made a boob in the last post it was not Saturday but Friday.

Started on Friday 23rd, 100 seed left to soak overnight in clean water. Saturday drain, rinse thoroughly, drain again and cover with lid. Same on Sunday, rinse and drain.

Monday plant 25 to individual pots as they were ready, rinse and drain the rest.

Tuesday, plant a further 45 to pots, rinse and drain the rest.

Rinsing is an important part of the process as I found out a few years back when all the seed went fusty.

Pic taken today
            Attached Files

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I plan to soak peas next time, think it why gutter planted is now varied so much. Didnt realise on washing, thanks will do that too, then plant them. Have sweetcorn to plant this weekend, plan to soak/wash them in advance now

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                Using Two Shed's chitting procedure I thought some may be interested in the results so far.

I made a boob in the last post it was not Saturday but Friday.

Started on Friday 23rd, 100 seed left to soak overnight in clean water. Saturday drain, rinse thoroughly, drain again and cover with lid. Same on Sunday, rinse and drain.

Monday plant 25 to individual pots as they were ready, rinse and drain the rest.

Tuesday, plant a further 45 to pots, rinse and drain the rest.

Rinsing is an important part of the process as I found out a few years back when all the seed went fusty.

Pic taken today
                That's very interesting. That's basically the same method I use for my mung beans and lentils and other sprouting seeds that go into salads and stir fries. Never considered it for thing to grow on.
                What other seeds do you germinate that way?

Comment

I pre-chit my peas just like Potty does not tried it with anything else apart from parsnips. SP I even use my sprouting trays like I do for my edible lentils and other sprouting seeds.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

SP I don't use it for other stuff as I have no need to.

It was first suggested to me by 2Sheds way back when as I had had mouse trouble, eating direct planted seed. I don't know why but they don't seem interested in chitted seed and it has improved my harvest to.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Well after trying to sprout in sprouting jar they are all pathetic, some not even sprouted. This is 2 weeks on and I gave them a rinse daily (as you do with bean sprouts to eat) All my edible lentils,beans I normaly sprout start within a couple of days so why this ? Also, the ones in the pots that had started to sprout have rotted which doesn’t make sense as they were alive and I hadn’t been watering.

Seems like I just can’t grow peas anymore despite doing things as advised
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	28E0A2AB-9B99-4839-B73E-FF4CE666B368.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	2377126
                      Last edited by Marb67; 08-04-2018, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Maybe you should buy new seeds and start over? It all sounds very frustrating.

Comment

But they are 3 different varieties, different dates so at least some should sprout. It just seems everythng I touch goes wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
                            Well after trying to sprout in sprouting jar they are all pathetic, some not even sprouted. This is 2 weeks on and I gave them a rinse daily (as you do with bean sprouts to eat) All my edible lentils,beans I normaly sprout start within a couple of days so why this ? Also, the ones in the pots that had started to sprout have rotted which doesn’t make sense as they were alive and I hadn’t been watering.

Seems like I just can’t grow peas anymore despite doing things as advised
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]79411[/ATTACH]
                            Some of these look like broad beans, and there are several peas and beans that have roots, so some of them have sprouted.
                            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

They have but seem stunted and have stopped. They should be really long by now (like my food sprouts get)

Comment

I plant mine as soon as the roots break out of the seed, to minimize damage to the roots while planting. All I want to see is evidence that there is life there.
                                A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X