No announcement yet.

No show peas (Again)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a past Uk Nvs pea champion -Dorchester 2014 <takes a bow>. First of all, wait until iit warms up a bit. If you are later in sowing, so what? You'll just be later in harvesting. I sow mine in deep root trainers in a mix of damp Gp compost and vermiculite. Do NOT keep slatheringng on water. You'll only cause the peas to rot. Cover with polythene or plastic root trainer top and place on a lower shelf on bench in greenhouse.out of direct sunlight. vermic should help keep compost open and drained .

Comment

We sowed ours early March in an unheated greenhouse and they're only just showing.
      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

I sowed Meteor in fibre pots on 16th Feb, standing them on a heated propagator and covering them with other propagator lids. The first shoots appeared 4 days later - OK, they were roots, not shoots, obviously some errant Aussie seeds in the pack ;-) However, the rest that came up all seem to have been from the northern hemisphere.

After a week the growth was such that I had to move them into my unheated porch to try and slow them down a bit until the weather warmed up. After another week most had roots poking through the pots so, as the Beast from the East had passed, I planted them out, with a little fleece tent in case of further frosts or winds.

Had a peek under the tent the other day, all appear to be doing well.

Only around 50-60% germination rate, I estimate, but that's considerably better than I got direct sowing last year either in the beds or in tubs of compost.

Comment

I always start my peas off in pots in the house, in a covered tray (unheated propagator). They germinate within 7-10 days and I usually get about 75% germination, less with old seed or early in the year (when the utility room is fairly cool). Once germinated they often get moved out into the growhouse fairly quickly as I have limited space under lights, and while they grow more slowly out there, they don't seem to mind. Attempts at germinating them in the growhouse have comprehensively failed - the seeds just rot.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I've not sown peas for peas yet ( hopefully this weekend). But I have sown my peas for shoots. Sown on the 15th March and they're starting to germinate nicely.
            I always sow in pots in the polytunnel and put a propagator lid on them at night.

Comment

I've missed Marb... glad I've spotted your post - always cheers me up

Schadenfreude probably... sorry about that. Anyway - loads always goes wrong for me too - glad you are still plugging away.
              I'm not much of a pea grower but the cold has put me off sowing so far... anyhow - chin up
              sigpic
              1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Sorry, everyone - this is the 3rd time I've referred to https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ion_93787.html in the last few days.

In the case of peas, it shows that, with a daytime temperature of 41F, 89% of peas will germinate in 36 days.
                Warmer weather at 50F daytime and 94% of peas will germinate in 14 days.
                The optimum temp is 77F whe 94% of peas will germinate in 6 days.

If you expect speedy germination, you have to raise the heat. Note, it doesn't mention temps at freezing overnight which have been common here and probably knock the seeds back.
                As for the rotting - not a clue except too wet/condensation.

Comment

I've searched back through Marb's earlier threads about problems with pea germination -
                  This is 2015 https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ain_84053.html
                  Just wondering if you've tried starting them indoors, Marb, as you seem to keep sowing in the GH and always having the same sort of issues with rotting and non-germination.

There's still plenty of time to start some more, so try some in the house, please, just to keep me happy.

Comment

You could try just wet cotton wool in a warm place,have a look in a few days see if any roots are coming out?

Comment

I still faithfully follow Two Sheds advice, chit first, I use an old take away plastic container. This proves viability and stops mouse damage when they go out.
                      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Planted two gutter lengths (kelvedon and onward) on 11th Feb, 50% are at 1" to 2", 25% at 0 to 1" and 25% no shows. Had dig down and the 25% no shows gone moldy. As the various outcomes are in groups, think issue was uneven compost moisture, too dry and too wet in places. Dont think it was seed as did test on few in a damp kitchen roll sealed container as reccomended on here and got 100% germination. Plan to try soaking them next time pre planting, as read. They been in greenhouse where heater defends 0c

Comment

Almost certainly too cold to germinate outside. As others have recommended chit them first for a few days in a plastic box with damp paper in the warm, then sow them. The only other sensible option is to wait til the weather warms up ie when you can comfortably sit outside wearing a t-shirt and shorts for an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
                            The only other sensible option is to wait til the weather warms up ie when you can comfortably sit outside wearing a t-shirt and shorts for an hour.
                            That's hilarious . If I took that advice I'd be able to sow peas for about 3 days in July ( if I was lucky! ).

Comment

You can sow peas any time - you can only expect them to germinate when sown outside if the weather is warm enough :-)

Comment

Thanks folks, I think the problem is the night temp putting them back. Because the greenhouse has been warm by the day I was expecting it to kickstart them into life. And to be fair, in past years I used to have no trouble germinating peas. Suffice to say there are another lot in the sprouting jar with broad and runner beans for safe germination in the house.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X