No announcement yet.

Giant pumpkin

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't he cute! He will be taking over your garden in no time.
    Looking forward to watching his progress

Little Humphrey is growing nicely

Comment

He is a she. Given that she produces a fruit...She's called Elvira. Elvira the Enormous
      http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Oops, sorry Elvira

Comment

I've given Humphrey his first little weak feed. Mainly because he is in a big pot and don't want him to run out of nutrients. He is looking good, already bigger than last years plant managed.

Comment

Elvira's out! I dug a big pit late last night and filled with a barrow of manure mixed in with the soil. Am going back to check tonight that I haven't put her in the wrong way up - apparently they grow in the opposite direction to the first true leaf and I may have put her in facing north, not south.

Elvira also has a second-in-command, Murgatroyd. He is yet to go in. Am waiting to see what hellishness the local slugs unleash on Elvira.

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
              Elvira's out! I dug a big pit late last night and filled with a barrow of manure mixed in with the soil. Am going back to check tonight that I haven't put her in the wrong way up - apparently they grow in the opposite direction to the first true leaf and I may have put her in facing north, not south.

Elvira also has a second-in-command, Murgatroyd. He is yet to go in. Am waiting to see what hellishness the local slugs unleash on Elvira.
              I found out about the main stem growing in the opposite direction from the first true leaf today ( been doing some homework as it's raining )
              Think I'm going to have to turn Humphrey as well. Thankfully he's in his big pot

Hope slugs don't eat Elvira!

Comment

I inadvertently did it right. Woo-hoo!

Murgatroyd is going out in his own pit on Saturday. Just in case. I don't want to lose any more time if anything goes wrong. Plus he's outgrown his quarters.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Elvira.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	2372858

Comment

My little Humphrey is growing.
                  I've got to spin his pot round and open the door a little so he can get out. Or I'm not going to be able too get into my tunnel soon.

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	2372944

Comment

pumpkin plants especially the larger fruited variety produce massive plants taking up 6 meters x 6 meters or more
                    Last edited by wargarden2017; 06-06-2017, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Humphray is growing fast. Feeding twice a week now.

Name:	IMG_0691 (Small).jpg
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	2373219

Here is the rest of him . with a wind brake round him.

Name:	IMG_0690 (Small).jpg
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	2373220

Comment

What are you feeding him?

Comment

Something that needs a wind break

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
                            What are you feeding him?
                            Home made liquid feed. Mix of seaweed, nettles & borage. At about a 100ml to a litre. No idea if that's the correct usage. I'm using the well known gardening method of winging it

Comment

I've just hand pollinated
                              The female flower opened yesterday so she may have already been pollinated by a nasturtium or something ( definitely no other male cucurbits flowering yesterday, I looked). The male flower was open this morning, so I introduced them to each other . Especially as he was inside the tunnel and she was outside.
                              It's so exciting!!! Humphrey might be having a baby! ( hopefully a bl@@dy big one )

Comment

im going for pumpkins too but wont be giants, just about got a couple of plants in the ground so watch this space

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X