Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnjohn View Post
    Hi SP, nobody has expressed any interest so I'm flying solo

I'm well behind you, seed germinated over the weekend but I haven't potted it on yet. Feeding usually begins once they've flowered but I suppose there's no harm in giving a dilute feed earlier.

Mine will be going outside, I'm thinking about putting it directly in my muck heap.
    I put a notice on the notice baoard with prize monies and a seperate notice on the gate for people to add there name.
    We have 39 plots and nine people have paid their £2.00 entry and about four others have added there names. Closing date is late May so i am confident that we should at least get 15 entries which is £30 towards prize money!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

We have over 15 giant pumpkin young plants. I may have been a little trigger happy on the sowing:/

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
        We have over 15 giant pumpkin young plants. I may have been a little trigger happy on the sowing:/
        15 might be over doing it a little!
        But you have no excuse not to join us in attempting to grow a monster

Comment

I organised a lotty pumpkin competition last year, first and second were whoppers with the winner weighing 142lb. We calculated weights using the "over the top" method to avoid lugging the big ones about.
          Piccy of Mrs B with our third place pump of 72lb which went to a local scout group. If was a good bit of fun and are planning on doing it again this year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pumpkin-2016.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	2372502
          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

That's brilliant Mr Bones if I get anywhere near 72lb I'll be over the moon and very very surprised
            Good luck with this years competition. What variety do you grow ?

Comment

My little giant is currently intimidating the courgette seedlings in the greenhouse. It's still too ruddy cold to set it out. And also I haven't finished the digging for where it needs to go...

How are you preparing the ground for yours? Just muck or do you have a secret recipe?
              Last edited by sparrow100; 10-05-2017, 06:10 AM.
              http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Ground Prep is simple for me - pile up lots of horse muck. Will also add comfrey and some other bits when I plant out, modify the light spectrum and create a microenvironment at the start so they can put some growth on before flowering.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

No secrets here, I'm making it up as I go
                  A little bit of home made compost, little bit of MPC and a lot of well rotted farm yard manure

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	2372521

Humphrey doesn't look very big in their, but that's a 21in tub

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                    That's brilliant Mr Bones if I get anywhere near 72lb I'll be over the moon and very very surprised
                    Good luck with this years competition. What variety do you grow ?
                    I haven't a clue as to variety, it came from another gardeners big one. This years seed saved from last years winner has yet to germinate, just hope it didn't cross because the chap also grew huge marrows right next to his pumpkins... could be interesting
                    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Is that the final pot SP or will you plant him out somewhere?

Comment

I have some muck (cow, I think) which was delivered earlier this year and is pretty fresh. If I enrich the planting hole with that, will it be too strong for the plants?

Comment

Originally posted by vixylix View Post
                          Is that the final pot SP or will you plant him out somewhere?
                          That's his final pot in the little tunnel ( apparently pumpkins like it a bit warmer then your average isle of mull temperature!). I'm going to train him outside under the gap in the door. If he produces a baby I will protect that with some sort of canopy/ tent thing. That bit of the plan is work in progress

Comment

Originally posted by 1Bee View Post
                            I have some muck (cow, I think) which was delivered earlier this year and is pretty fresh. If I enrich the planting hole with that, will it be too strong for the plants?
                            Personally I'd not put fresh muck in the hole before planting. I'd plant it then put a the muck round it ( but not touching) and let the good stuff seep into the ground with rain and watering. Obviously as ever I'm just making this stuff up! Someone with more knowledge will be along soon to advise you.

Comment

That sounds sensible SP, thank you.

Comment

Mine has filled a 1L pot in a few days, eeeep!

Name:	giant pumpkin - 1L pot.jpg
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	2372594
                                http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X