No announcement yet.

Giant pumpkin

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still haven't sown mine. Good to have a nudge though and I'll give it a whirl tonight.
    http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Pretty sure we sowed ours in May last year and had a tremendous first ever pumpkin harvest in time for Halloween

Comment

Now, I have read this thread with interest so Ta SP and contributors but.......................why?

Are you all secret Cinderella pumpkin carriage carvers or are you all going to have a go at turning them into a boat to paddle across the Menai Straights (like daft bluggers do every year).

Surely, once you have cut into the pumpkin it won't store so it has to be eaten, frozen or donated to unsuspecting neighbours!

Is it the thrill of the chase?

I'm sorry if my flippancy offends anyone but after having nightmares about the 12, yes 12 butternut squash taking over the very large garden (I wish I had it now) I only want teeny weeny pumpkins that will fit into the oven.
        I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy View Post
          Now, I have read this thread with interest so Ta SP and contributors but.......................why?

Are you all secret Cinderella pumpkin carriage carvers or are you all going to have a go at turning them into a boat to paddle across the Menai Straights (like daft bluggers do every year).

Surely, once you have cut into the pumpkin it won't store so it has to be eaten, frozen or donated to unsuspecting neighbours!

I'm sorry if my flippancy offends anyone but after having nightmares about the 12, yes 12 butternut squash taking over the very large garden (I wish I had it now) I only want teeny weeny pumpkins that will fit into the oven.
          We toyed with a prettiest pumpkin, or most interesting pumpkin competition but this would only have caused arguments. The scales never lie (unless you fill your pumkin with rusty nails)
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
            How goods your memory Snadger.......
            What varieties and weights were the top 5
            Not that good SP, but the weights were pretty close to each other I remember. Jay-els good with facts and figures so maybe he kept a record?

I was glad in a way that sizes were similar as it may have put people off for the future if one or two had romped away and embarrased the rest.
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I think that grow a massive pumpkin idea for an allotment is a brilliant idea to get plot holders talking and learning. I just wondered why a mahoosive pumpkin grown at home was an idea that 'rocked' peoples boats.
              I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

I think that grow a massive pumpkin idea for an allotment is a brilliant idea to get plot holders talking and learning. I just wondered why a mahoosive pumpkin grown at home was an idea that 'rocked' peoples boats.
                Same as any showmans mentality I reckon Lumpy, some grow for the prize money others to see if they can better last years size, and others just for the hell of it!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I'd expect nothing less than your flippancy lumpy
                  My answer is simple
                  Too see if I can!
                  And if I can grow a half decent sized one. I'm going to donate it to a zoo ( which ever one will collect ) for there elephants to play with (& eat)
                  If the zoos don't want it, there's going to be a ..it load of soup & chutney made.
                  So fingers crossed everyone for the zoo! More importantly fingers crossed that I can grow one.
                  Last edited by Small pumpkin; 21-04-2017, 12:48 PM.

Comment

I'd expect nothing less than your flippancy lumpy
                    My answer is simple
                    Too see if I can!
                    And if I can grow a half decent sized one. I'm going to donate it to a zoo ( which ever one will collect ) for there elephants to play with (& eat)
                    If the zoos don't want it, there's going to be a ..it load of soup & chutney made.
                    So fingers crossed everyone for the zoo! More importantly fingers crossed that I can grow one.
                    Good luck then SP - grow a massive. Maybe, a local school would want it so the kids can demolish it for the seeds to grow their own next year.
                    Last edited by Lumpy; 21-04-2017, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                      Go for it Johnjohn.

I set up a pumpkin competition on our allotment site three years ago. It has went from strength to strength each year.
                      We have some exhibition veg growers on our site so we new that with onions, leeks etc their would be no compettion, and we'd all get murdered!
                      The Showmen don't seem to bother with pumpkins, so everyone has an eqaul chance of growing a whopper.
                      We charge £2.00 per plot to enter and add a little bit to the prize money from allotment funds. Its all good fun and a way of getting the plotholders together.

My Atlantic Giant (bought from ebay for 99p delivered) are sown and sitting in pots on the bedroom windowsill. I sowed a couple in the Summerhouse which are up, so heat isn't everything.
                      OK, the seed has been sown.... That'll be a figurative seed only at the moment, as in, I've asked the folks to join in but haven't had any responses as yet. Will aim to sow mine tomorrow in anticipation

Comment

Originally posted by johnjohn View Post
                        OK, the seed has been sown.... That'll be a figurative seed only at the moment, as in, I've asked the folks to join in but haven't had any responses as yet. Will aim to sow mine tomorrow in anticipation
                        Never mind, up until now you are the winner anyway!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by johnjohn View Post
                          Is anyone at your allotment said they're up for it yet johnjohn?

My hundred weight is now planted in his final pot, in the little polytunnel.
                          When do I start feeding? Now or when they start flowering ?

Comment

I haven't sown any giants, but I'm enjoying this thread and will see what my rouge vif d'etampes or musquee de provence can do...

Lumpy, one of the things I love about squashes and pumpkins is just how crazily, joyfully exuberant they are. We don't always eat all that we grow, but we've sure had a lot of fun on the way...

Comment

Originally posted by 1Bee View Post
                              I haven't sown any giants, but I'm enjoying this thread and will see what my rouge vif d'etampes or musquee de provence can do...

Lumpy, one of the things I love about squashes and pumpkins is just how crazily, joyfully exuberant they are. We don't always eat all that we grow, but we've sure had a lot of fun on the way...
                              Fess up 1B you are a secret pumpkin carver arn't you?

My Harlequins will be staying on the window ledge for the forseeable future as it is piggin cold outside.

Comment

Is anyone at your allotment said they're up for it yet johnjohn?

My hundred weight is now planted in his final pot, in the little polytunnel.
                                When do I start feeding? Now or when they start flowering ?
                                Hi SP, nobody has expressed any interest so I'm flying solo

I'm well behind you, seed germinated over the weekend but I haven't potted it on yet. Feeding usually begins once they've flowered but I suppose there's no harm in giving a dilute feed earlier.

Mine will be going outside, I'm thinking about putting it directly in my muck heap.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X