No announcement yet.

Orange rapture tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the offer Chris, but I do seem to have seeds for Mini Orange after all, from a very lovely Lady in Canada. I think I'll stick with Orange Rapture F2 for this season. I've potted up 6 little seedlings, still on their seed leaf, long way to go!
    Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Interestingly the plants I kept have developed into two types of quite different plants. I thought at first it might be soil imbalance but then I noticed one module has both types of seedlings.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	2373161
      Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

The last pack had a type listed. Royal star although from googling royal star is red but they grow an orange star too

Comment

I wonder if they register a name to cover a type or style of tomato rather than an individual variety?

I had a search but couldn't find an Orange Star cherry tomato but did come across a Oranjestar.
          Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Sakata's new orange cherry TOV shows strong performance

Comment

Cheers, that's amazing cropping!
              Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

The first flowers are just starting to open on the earliest of the tall types. The smaller growing types remain stunted although flower buds are forming. I wonder if these have been bred to have faults in their genes to become evident in their offspring?

Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	2373464

Chris if you spot this, I know you said the plants you grew on were quite similar, but did you have any off type seedlings that you noticed?
                Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Originally posted by poly View Post
                  I wonder if these have been bred to have faults in their genes to become evident in their offspring?
                  Unlikely to have had faults bred intentionally like that. Much more likely to be genes which contribute in a positive way to the F1 characteristics and/or hybrid vigour when they exist as a single copy in the F1, but are detrimental (deleterious) if they exist in one of the F2 variants that happen to have 2 copies of the same gene.

And I've now found out that the Orange Rapture tomatoes are definitely a variety called Oranjestar F1: https://sakatavegetables.com/vegetab...te/oranjestar/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X