No announcement yet.

Orange rapture tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They could be something like "Orange Paruche" & branded as Orange Rapture for T3sco's.

Tomato Plants - F1 Orange Paruche - All Vegetable Plants - Vegetable Plants - Gardening
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

That certainty looks like them. Maybe I'll give them a go and see

Comment

There are dozens of orange tomatoes. I wouldn't go on just a photo.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

As BM says, there are dozens of Orange Cherry tomatoes and the chances are if you do find what Thanet Earth are growing for T3sco, if you grow them in your greenhouse they won't taste the same because your micro climate won't be controlled to the same level, and (I guess) you won't be growing them hydroponically. I'd choose something you want to grow and personally I wouldn't grow F1 hybrids. Try Orange Berry or Wapsicon Peach.

(Although personally I have found that Blush are even better tasting).

Comment

On my RHS course we had a talk from someone from the Plant Health Inspectorate. A fascinating if some what scary talk about alien I.e foreign, pests and diseases. One key message was about the virus that imported shop bought tomatoes carry. I can't remember which virus it was but the effect is some mottling to the skin, watery tasteless tomatoes with hard flesh. He tested some tomatoes bought from the supermarket there and then and they were infected. This virus can be carried to your own home grown tomatoes, e.g by eating shop bought tomatoes then going out to the greenhouse without washing hands and tending your plants. It's college day tomorrow so I'll ask what the virus was. Just thought I'd share!

Comment

I just read about f1 tomato seed savingsomewhere today . since it is going to be inbreed(sort of something?), some of the seeds from the fruit 'should' come to true type and the rest different one. I found it useful info and good news for anyone who buy f1 seeds and like the fruit. one should be able to pick useful seedlings.

so go ahead and sow distinct seedlings and grow(only 2 plants in this case), check which one produce the fruit expected, and tick that for the further year's growing.
              Last edited by Elfeda; 09-02-2017, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfeda View Post
                go ahead and sow distinct seedlings and grow(only 2 plants in this case), check which one produce the fruit expected, and tick that for the further year's growing.
                How can you tell which seedling is going to produce the fruit expected without growing on and tasting the fruit what if the two seedlings you've picked aren't the ones with the traits you require.....you need to grow a lot more than two imo.
                Last edited by Scarlet; 09-02-2017, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  How can you tell which seedling is going to produce the fruit expected without growing on and tasting the fruit what if the two seedlings you've picked aren't the ones with the traits you require.....you need to grow a lot more than two imo.

neither I mentioned we can tell which one is the expected one scarlet. ideally there should be 2 varieties , is what I read. it's one's passion and interest to explore. its OP's interest to find it. I knew it all went fine with crimson crush for Alan.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfeda View Post
                    I just read about f1 tomato seed savingsomewhere today . since it is going to be inbreed(sort of something?), some of the seeds from the fruit 'should' come to true type and the rest different one. I found it useful info and good news for anyone who buy f1 seeds and like the fruit. one should be able to pick useful seedlings.

so go ahead and sow distinct seedlings and grow(only 2 plants in this case), check which one produce the fruit expected, and tick that for the further year's growing.
                    My understanding is somewhat different to yours Elfeda.

I thought that the point was that F1's inherit the characteristics of both parents but when inbred the dominant characteristics of the two parents will dominate. However, there is a (small) possibility that the recessive characteristics will come through. So I thought you had to grow out a large number of plants for the characteristics you want to exhibit themselves in a single plant. Then select that one and repeat for a number of years selecting the plants with the right characteristics each time.

I have seen it said that if the plant "runs true" for seven years then it is considered stable and will (probably) continue to run true thereafter.

So the real problem is having enough space to be able to grow enough plants to select and knowing what characteristics you're selecting for.

I grew some heirloom Yellow Cherry tomatoes (Oleron Yellow) in 2011, I liked them and kept the seed. Unfortunately when I grew them out in 2012 (one plant) I got a red cherry tomato! However, when I looked at the seeds I noticed there were two groups, one darker than the other.

I grew out six plants from each and ended up with three different tomatoes, two yellow (but different) and one red. I've been growing on the yellow ones each year since then and I have now got two distinct yellow tomatoes, neither of which are exactly the same as the original Oleron Yellow but both of which have their own advantages.

So, I don't think its simple.

Comment

I have grown the occasional supermarket tomato or chilli, and grew some Orange Raptures in 2015.

Didn't have enough plants to see if any them were particularly good, but the ones I grew were disappointing. Although this was not unexpected, as I'd guessed in advance that the Raptures were probably a commercial F1 variety, which may or may not be available elsewhere under a different name.

I got some orange tomatoes, but they were not particularly productive or nice tasting compared to the likely F1 parent. Because of the genetic lottery of what you might get in your F2s, you may get similar or different results if you try the same experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris11 View Post
                        I have grown the occasional supermarket tomato or chilli, and grew some Orange Raptures in 2015.

Didn't have enough plants to see if any them were particularly good, but the ones I grew were disappointing. Although this was not unexpected, as I'd guessed in advance that the Raptures were probably a commercial F1 variety, which may or may not be available elsewhere under a different name.

I got some orange tomatoes, but they were not particularly productive or nice tasting compared to the likely F1 parent. Because of the genetic lottery of what you might get in your F2s, you may get similar or different results if you try the same experiment.
                        Chris, can you remember the colour inside the fruit of the F2's? I'm wondering if it had the same intensity?
                        Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Poly, didn't keep any detailed records other than NWGA for not worth growing again.

Although that shouldn't discourage anyone else if you want to experiment, as you might get better results in the F2 lottery.

From memory, the tomatoes were also orange on the inside. I had four plants without much variation between them. They were all outside and didn't really thrive or produce much fruit. Might have been unlucky, don't know how well they would have done in the greenhouse.

Comment

Cheers Chris, I was hoping they would be orange inside. I only tasted some of these the other day, they were quite good. But I was impressed with the deep colour. I've started a few seeds which may or maynot get a chance to grow! I'd like to use them in some crosses.
                            Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Poly, have you ever grown or thought about the Mini Orange variety of tomato?
                              It has a a really good depth of colour, a very attractive tomato inside and out.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1398231

Mini Orange - Tatiana's TOMATOBase

PM me if you want some seeds

Comment

It's not one that springs to mind, though to be honest I don't grow many orange toms. Good review, you are tempting me, I'll have a look on my list, you never know.
                                Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X