No announcement yet.

What tomato varieties are you growing in 2017

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you tried Black Sea Man, coreopsis? It's a tasty and early beefsteak, and a bush so it doesn't grow too big.

Comment

No, Zelenina. Is it earlyish variety?I was looking at Cherokee Purple or Big Daddy. Hillbilly is apparently late so out of the question.

Your name sounds very green

Just had a look at your lacation,that explains it
      Last edited by coreopsis; 14-03-2017, 10:02 PM. Reason: Added sentence

Comment

Well woke this morning to spy a pile of fleece on the greenhouse floor. Had the butterfly belly and surely enough, a mushroom basket full of tom plantlets ar y Llawr ( on the floor).
        Some may be salvagable but lost a lot.

Question is , resow what ive lost or make do with what i have lol, which is plenty. Must sow more crimson crush and mountain magic though.

Comment

Oh no - poor you! Still, of you're like the rest of us it probably brought the numbers down to a sensible amount
          Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Originally posted by vixylix View Post
            Stupid question here Hop - but why would you limit to one truss?
            Well my theory is that it might help me to get some nice bunches of ripe tomatoes before the dreaded blight arrives! (sorry for bringing up the 'b' word!) Last year my outdoor toms got wiped out just as they were fully grown and laden with lovely bunches of green fruit from top to bottom, it was amazing how quickly it took hold!
            It was around mid August here in south west.

I reckon I'll have space to try out a couple of rows of normal and a couple of rows of miniature 1 or 2 truss plants. It'll be fun to compare the yield and ripeness of the two rows, I'll report back.

It could be a waste of plants alright, but I've got too many seedlings already to be honest so no harm giving it a try. Plus think of all the savings on bamboo canes!

Thanks for the tip on doing the 2nd truss by the way!

Comment

I'm newbie. I'm growing just amish paste and regular windowsill one.

Comment

Originally posted by maverick451 View Post
                I havent tried that but one thing I have noticed is often the first truss of toms are that great in terms of size or taste, im not sure if his its because it early season or they havent quite got in the full swing of fruiting yet but If I was doing one truss Id take the first one off and use the 2nd truss.
                I once saw a recommendation that if you were intending to save seed, it should be from tomatoes on the second truss. I think the point was that the first truss was most likely to be affected by cold at the time that it set but that the second truss had lots of goodness from the roots and a long ripening time. Don't know if its true but its what I do when saving seed.

Most of mine have now germinated (just waiting for Kibits Ukranian) so now begins the transporting in and out to keep them warm but in the most light.

Comment

Exciting time of year, checking each morning to see what else has germinated
                  So far it's been taking between 5-16 days in basic heated propagator.

My first four tomato varieties have germinated, so that's 4 down and around another 26 to go.

Green Zebra
                  Pantano Romanesco
                  Roma
                  Transparent

Comment

Zelenina,I have ordered Black Sea Man and a few (!) other varieties. If I can't find the space for all of them I'll blame you!

Comment

• Ooh bit late to this thread.....

My toms for 2017 are:

Suncherry premium F1
                      San marzarno
                      Giganitomo (for a laugh)
                      De Wesse Streaked
                      Essex Wonder
                      Darby Striped
                      Carrotina
                      Cream Sausage (who wouldn't with that name)
                      Rutgers
                      Vine peach... (failed)
                      Summer frolic (for the name)
                      Kellogg's breakfast (from the USA)
                      Black Krim
                      Blaby special (I live there)
                      Kenilworth King George (alys fowlers favourite)
                      Orange Banana

Scottish queen ( I think)

Cyril's choice.. a very nice bush tom.
                      Last edited by seasprout; 18-03-2017, 09:25 PM. Reason: Just remembered more
                      Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

• I haven't sowed my toms yet, but I'll start soon. Among them for sure will be Grushovka, Black Sea Man and Black Cherry. They all did well for me last year (and Black Cherry in previous years too) and have the kind of flavour I like.

Other than those I have a big variety to choose from in my tomato seed box, and I probably won't decide exactly which ones get a chance to do their stuff this year until I'm actually sowing them. And I'll probably end up with far too many plants again.
                        Last edited by Zelenina; 18-03-2017, 10:05 PM.

Comment

• Exciting time of year, checking each morning to see what else has germinated
                          Another five tomato varieties have now germinated, so that's 9 up, 21 to go.

Green Zebra
                          Mini San Marzano F2
                          Pantano Romanesco
                          Rio Grande
                          Roma
                          Sun Baby
                          Sunset's Red Horizon
                          Tigerella
                          Transparent

Comment

• More tomato varieties have now germinated, so that's 16 up with around 14 to go.

Black Russian
                            Gold Nugget
                            Green Zebra
                            Mini San Marzano F2
                            Pantano Romanesco
                            Red Cherry
                            Rio Grande
                            Roma
                            San Marzano
                            Spanish Big Globe
                            Sun Baby
                            Sunset's Red Horizon
                            Survivor (unknown volunteer)
                            Tigerella
                            Transparent
                            Tropical Ruby F1

Comment

• Red pear,money maker,some weird blue Chinese one that did well last year,garden pearl for the hanging baskets,tigrella cos we like a stripy one and my all time favourite cropper and taste sensation,black sea man (be careful how you say this )
                              don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                              remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

• I was only going to grow 3 this year - roma vf, latah and amish paste. Then I did a seed swop for dancing with smurfs. Then yesterday I was given one plant each of zlatava, taiko, black Russian, radana, duo, & green envy (f1).

So three to ten - I'm going to need a bigger greenhouse
                                Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X