Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mine are coming along slowly but surely at the minute. I'll get a picture of them at the weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by burnie View Post
      Do you pot your chillies on gradually increasing the size of the pot or can you go to the final size(8 inch terracotta ones)once the plants are 6 inch or so high?
      In my (admittedly limited) experience, the ones I potted into intermediate pots did better than the ones which went straight into larger pots as they went absolutely mad with growth when put into the larger pots, whereas the ones which went straight into them took longer to establish themselves. When potted up, the plants seem to stop their top growth and concentrate on root growth, then once they've grown lots of roots they start growing up top again. At the end of the day it probably doesn't make too much difference but you have to be careful not to get waterlogged compost if they are in large pots.

Comment

• Great to hear that everyone's plants are doing well and SP congratulations on your first harvest of the year!

I haven't got any ripe pods from this season's seedlings, yet, only from the overwintered plants. The first NotScotch pod has turned red in the last few days, adding to the Superchilli and Gusto Purple which I've been picking for several weeks now.

My Reaper pods don't seem to be growing, they're staying really small (couple of cm diameter max.) Ah well, I wasn't expecting any sort of pods from them this early in the season. Maybe once I can pot them up into larger pots they'll produce some larger fruits?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tripmeup View Post
          Mine are all romping away and a good few are now spending their nights in the greenhouse with some covering for colder nights...Have been pinching off flowers so far on many of them but might let an odd one stay now...
          I've got a couple of chilli plants that I overwintered in the spare bedroom, and now one of them has a dozen small flowers on.

Should I be removing these flowers ??

Comment

• If they're big enough to support fruit Data Monkey they should be fine - I assume they are big enough if they've been overwintered?!

You'll need to hand pollinate to get fruit though!

Comment

• Originally posted by vixylix View Post
              If they're big enough to support fruit Data Monkey they should be fine - I assume they are big enough if they've been overwintered?!

You'll need to hand pollinate to get fruit though!
              Hand pollinate ?

I wouldn't know where to start !

I'm going to have to get onto YouTube and get busy tonight.

If my wife catches me though, I'm going to have some difficult questions to answer...

Comment

• Originally posted by DataMonkey View Post
                Hand pollinate ?

If my wife catches me though, I'm going to have some difficult questions to answer...
                Get yourself some cotton buds or a small cheap paint brush and away you go
                I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                sigpic

Comment

• Just a quick snap of mine sitting on the windowsill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170426_174854.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	2372264

Comment

• Originally posted by Tripmeup View Post
                    Get yourself some cotton buds or a small cheap paint brush and away you go
                    Don't forget to hum like a bee or it won't work......................................

Comment

• Originally posted by Scoot View Post
                      Just a quick snap of mine sitting on the windowsill.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73041[/ATTACH]
                      Looking good, but I'm surprised they haven't slid off that vertical windowsill..

Comment

• Originally posted by Welsh76 View Post
                        Looking good, but I'm surprised they haven't slid off that vertical windowsill..
                        I've glued them on haha.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scoot View Post
                          Just a quick snap of mine sitting on the windowsill.
                          That's pretty well where my newly sown ones are at the moment. I have a load of green peppers at the same stage and I can't tell them apart though.

Comment

• Update with final growlist. Was kindly given four plants, but also lost the overwintered Golden Cayenne. It looked ok until recently but just didn't start growing, and the stem started to get brown patches.

Aji Pineapple
                            Akabare
                            Bahamian Goat
                            Barancio
                            Big Sun Habanero
                            Bishops Hat
                            Cayenne Large Red Thick (o/w from 2016)
                            Chenzo
                            Cheyenne F1
                            Chocolate Habanero
                            Congo Trinidad Yellow
                            Hungarian Black
                            Elysium Oxide F6
                            Elysium Oxide F7
                            Joe's Long Cayenne
                            MoA Scotch Bonnet Yellow
                            Numex Sandia
                            Numex Twilight x Cayenne F2
                            Orange Habanero (o/w from 2016)
                            Orange Habanero
                            Palermo Pointed Red
                            Piccante Calabrese
                            Pot Black
                            Ring Of Fire
                            Santa Fe Grande
                            Space HJ10 Afterglow
                            Sweet Banana
                            Thai Orange Large
                            TSM Medium Red
                            Turbo Alberto Cross (o/w from 2016)
                            Turbo Alberto Cross
                            7 Pot

Plus six seedlings that survived the feline related accident and are now small plants. Could be duplicates from the list above, or additional varieties that I didn't re-sow. Looking forward to trying to identify which ones they are

Comment

• Originally posted by DataMonkey View Post
                              Hand pollinate ?

If they are outdoors then insects can pollinate them. Indoors, they can set fruits all by themselves but you will most likely have a higher set rate if you give them a helping hand. Basically, you're just trying to ensure that some of the pollen transfers from the male parts (anthers) onto the female part (stigma.) Up to you how intimately you want to get involved in the process!

You can tickle the open flower centres with a cotton bud, soft paintbrush or your fingertip.
                              Alternatively, just give the plant a bit of a shake every time you're passing, tap the stems a few times, or stick your electric toothbrush on them (that's supposed to mimic a bee's vibrations quite well.)

Oh and pollen is supposed to be released most readily in the middle of the day, so bear that in mind. And an occasional mist of water is supposed to help them set.

In real life, if you're butterfingers like me, your attempts at pollination will likely result in half the flowers falling off. But then again, they would fall off anyway if they don't get pollinated, so it's got to be worth a try.

Comment

• The chillis I put in the greenhouse a few weeks ago are really suffering from the cold weather even though I heat it at night, lesson for next year

The ones I have in the conservatory look very healthy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X