Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Perennialization Affect Crop Rotation?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I personally like an experiment as much as anyone! But............ What I can't understand is, why? What is hoped to be gained by the experiment?

Make a decent case FOR it and I may even join in!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
      I personally like an experiment as much as anyone! But............ What I can't understand is, why? What is hoped to be gained by the experiment?

Make a decent case FOR it and I may even join in!
      I thought it may save on the sowing process if I could continually harvest a Leek from the same rootstock.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
        Come to think of it where's Two Sheds - I haven't seen her on in a while. I'm sure she used to do this with garden leeks.
        Here's a link to TS's post about cutting of leeks

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...tml#post907869

I tried it and got a few smaller leeks to sprout.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

This may appeal to your inquisitive nature Snadge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANmx3Ue-d5o
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Plus it could be fun to experiment and permaculture in a no dig system is the sort of pinnacle of eco friendliness. Nutrients wouldn't be an issue I don't think if you are mulching and maybe giving a bit of BF&B. I don't think leek moth would be more of an issue in a permenant bed either as they fly. You'd have to use enviro mesh anyway if you have them.

On the downside you might be more susceptible to fungal diseases and um it might not work and I'm sort of wondering if it does why don't farmers do it now....
            Follow my grow and cook your own blog

https://tabularasa.org.uk/
            Wordpress Reader: Tabularassa99
            Facebook: https://mfacebook.com/tabularasathrive
            Instagram: Tabularasathrive

Comment

Possible outcomes are

multiple harvest of the same plant,
              splitting bulbs as an equivalent to sets for leeks to plant out at normal spacing,
              having a smaller perennialised patch instead of using a full bed,
              The sheer joy of trying it just to see what happens.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
              ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
              ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Maybe not the same as BM's plan, but I'm turning patches of garden into permanent beds for some veg - including leeks, spring onions, spinach, chard, kale, lettuce, carrots etc - by deliberately letting them go to seed and sow themselves. http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...dea_90008.html

Comment

Originally posted by ecudc View Post
                  Plus it could be fun to experiment and permaculture in a no dig system is the sort of pinnacle of eco friendliness. Nutrients wouldn't be an issue I don't think if you are mulching and maybe giving a bit of BF&B. I don't think leek moth would be more of an issue in a permenant bed either as they fly. You'd have to use enviro mesh anyway if you have them.

On the downside you might be more susceptible to fungal diseases and um it might not work and I'm sort of wondering if it does why don't farmers do it now....
                  1. Well it's harder to harvest irregular clumps of things with a tractor rather than a nice line.
                  2. Size may be smaller than when grown from seed
                  3. Less predictable harvest - how many leeks will it split into
                  4. Time and efficiency - easier to clear all the plants out at the same time rather than leave some in to age and multiply
                  5. Manpower - going through a field full of leeks cutting off the scapes is going to be time consuming
                  6. The varieties of leek grown now are developed more for the annual harvest rather than perennial so may not be as prolific as other varieties (garden leeks seem to split into 2 or three, oerprei develops about 8 baby leeks in addition to the original mother leek)

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                  ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                  ― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                    This may appeal to your inquisitive nature Snadge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANmx3Ue-d5o
                    I've watched the video big fella!

It would very much depend on the stage of growth the leek was at. As the leek is a biennial, leek would have to be cut in its first season and at a reasonable girth. I still think the leek will run to seed at the same time as it would have, cut or not, so what have you gained that couldn't be gained by blanching?
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Heres the plan:-
                      1. You harvest the leek between autumn and spring before it bolts.
                      2. The leek then bolts
                      3. You cut off the scape
                      4. The leek grows back in Autumn
                      5. go back to one

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Not convinced!

Heres the plan:-
                        1. You harvest the leek between autumn and spring before it bolts.
                        2. The leek then bolts
                        3. You cut off the scape
                        4. The leek grows back in Autumn
                        5. go back to one
                        Agree up to 4:-

4 The leek grows back in autumn from the basal kingpods
                        5 The kingpod growth immediately runs to seed without creating a usable leek
                        6 ?????????

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Knowing what works may be the destination but learning what does and doesn't work and why makes the journey.

Why try growing a date palm from a packet on the shelf?

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Knowing what works may be the destination but learning what does and doesn't work and why makes the journey.

Why try growing a date palm from a packet on the shelf?
                            ..........and frozen ones at that! Enjoy your journey, I know tickets are free, but I still won't be travelling.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                              ..........and frozen ones at that! Enjoy your journey, I know tickets are free, but I still won't be travelling.
                              Tisk; naysayer

Wait until we have a plentiful proliferation of perpetual perennial poireau

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Tisk; naysayer

Wait until we have a plentiful proliferation of perpetual perennial poireau
                                You yunguns just winnet be telt wilya!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X