No announcement yet.

Roots, Shoots, Fruits and Leaves!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming to the end of the After Solstice season - just October remaining. However, tomorrow, 1st October, is the start of Leaves week. Time to sow some winter salad leaves in the GH.

Comment

• Thanks for the reminder

Comment

Technically, today is 2018 but, in the VC Calendar, its the first week of 2019 and its Roots week.
        Time to sow a few radishes, carrots and beetroot in the GH.
        My Diary is written up ready and I'm ready for another year of nuttiness in the garden.
        Are you?

Comment

• VC, I must say I am impressed that you have kept to this idea for over a year. It wouldn't suit me at all, but clearly you find it helpful.

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Thanks Pene.
            I'm impressed with my commitment too. Most unlike me!I had a break for the last couple of months - too cold to sow most things, but I'm hoping for better things from now on.

Comment

• 2019 Update

Its 3 years since I came up with this Nutty plan and, amazingly, I'm still doing it - sort of
              Brace yourselves - there's a slight modification coming up. I think there are some veggies that can be sown year-round so I'm going to trial that next.

Roots = Carrots and Radish
              Shoots = Spring onions and Oriental veg
              Fruits = Pea shoots/mangetout and ? DFBs
              Leaves = CACA Salad leaves and Rocket.

If I can sow (and harvest) each of these every 4 weeks, I'll be a very happy little chicken.

Roots week starts on Monday - feel free to join me.
              Last edited by veggiechicken; 09-08-2019, 09:39 PM.

Comment

• Sorry VC my tiny little brain is in meltdown pricing up things for a house build.
                I really really can’t cope with roots, shoots, fruits and leaves. I’ve always found it slightly mind bending

Comment

• You're excused, SP. I can't think of a better opt-out reason than building a house

(I did try applying the RSF&L idea to the house - where Roots = floors, Shoots = walls, Fruits = things that attach to walls and Leaves are the ceilings. The aim was that I would clean the house weekly, concentrating on those areas ...............it didn't last long.)

Comment

• Your mind is a wondrous place VC LOL
                    https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

• It is, Sarriss. I never know what it will dream up from one day to the next.

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        Today is an exciting day for VC because she has just taken ownership of an RHS 2018 Diary; VC will mark up each week using the Roots, Shoots, Fruits and Leaves rotation.
                        Each day of the month matches a numbered bed in the garden
                        Each day of the week has a matching task:-
                        Monday - Sow seeds
                        Tuesday (Chooksday) - Clean the chooks
                        Wednesday (Weednesday) - Weed a forgotten part of the garden
                        Thursday - Thinning and Transplanting
                        Friday - Flowers and Feeding
                        Saturday - Catch up on missed tasks
                        Sunday - Sort seeds for the following week.

Its a plan - and I've been working with it for a while now and, it actually works! Prompts me to do things, and, the more I do it, the easier it becomes.

I realise that not everyone needs organising - but I definitely do.
                        Ask me again next year, if I'm still doing this
                        Look at that!! I posted this in October 2017 and I'm still doing it (mostly). Age is no barrier - ask rary.

I'm adding a couple of things to my weekly schedule.
                        Thursday = T'Herbs day when I do things with herbs - as well as Thinning and Transplanting.
                        Sunday is Seedy Sunday when I sort Seeds for the week, and Sow Sprouting Seeds in trays and jars.

If you're new to all this, its Shoots week.

Don't worry, nobody understands this except me - and sometimes, I'm not so sure.

Comment

Don't worry, nobody understands this except me - and sometimes, I'm not so sure.
                          I understand it too, at least in so far as I nod whilst I'm reading it.

It actually makes me wish I had the time to do these things during the week more consistently, but....
                          https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

• I think it's a really fun idea - I'm so glad VC is carrying it out because it saves me doing it myself!

Comment

• I was sure you'd join me, weegie.

Its simple - tomorrow is Thursday, 22nd in Shoots week.
                              Thursday = T'Herbs, Thinning and transplanting
                              22nd = Bed 22 which I will weed/tidy
                              22 = V so I grow plants with V names there.

Each of the 30 Beds should contain a fruit, herb, flower and a vegetable, though they don't all begin with the appropriate letter!! Bed 22V has Gooseberry and raspberries, Vinca, Violets, Mint, Hazel and an oak tree.
                              There, I told you it was simple.
                              Last edited by veggiechicken; 21-08-2019, 10:04 PM.

Comment

There, I told you it was simple.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X