Roots, Shoots, Fruits and Leaves!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Each day, VC has a big adventure in the garden just like Olga da Polga
    Tomorrow VC will be playing in Bed 20. Who knows what will happen and who she will meet. Tune in tomorrow for another exciting instalment.

Nos da, Zelenina, try not to dream about Roots, Shoots, Fruits and Leaves - for that way lies madness!

Comment

• Today is an exciting day for VC because she has just taken ownership of an RHS 2018 Diary; VC will mark up each week using the Roots, Shoots, Fruits and Leaves rotation.
      Each day of the month matches a numbered bed in the garden
      Each day of the week has a matching task:-
      Monday - Sow seeds
      Tuesday (Chooksday) - Clean the chooks
      Wednesday (Weednesday) - Weed a forgotten part of the garden
      Thursday - Thinning and Transplanting
      Friday - Flowers and Feeding
      Saturday - Catch up on missed tasks
      Sunday - Sort seeds for the following week.

Its a plan - and I've been working with it for a while now and, it actually works! Prompts me to do things, and, the more I do it, the easier it becomes.

I realise that not everyone needs organising - but I definitely do
      Ask me again next year, if I'm still doing this

Comment

• This plan is meant to be!!
        New Years Day is a Monday and the start of Roots week
        Having marked up my diary, I can tell you that on Monday 25th June, I will be sowing onion seeds in order to make sets for planting in 2019. Can't give you a day for that as I don't have a 2019 Diary yet

Comment

• Doesn't a sentence with VC and plan in it, make an Oxymoron

I'll leave you to decide...

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            This plan is meant to be!!
            Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
            Doesn't a sentence with VC and plan in it, make an Oxymoron

I'll leave you to decide...
            P'raps I should have said "This plan is meant to be............a plan but I'll have changed it by February".

Comment

• VC, making plans this far ahead will make it impossible for you to have time for all the other plans you might concoct in the meantime. Are you sure it's wise?

Comment

• Don't worry Snoop, once I'm on top of the Plan, I'll have plenty of time for lots of other nutty ideas - there's one in my head at the moment

Comment

• I read. I'm baffled but I think if you've been doing this for 2 years and now write it in a diary then you know exactly what you're doing!

I shall nick the idea but only for the summer leeks.

... leaves the thread holding ones forehead muttering the words 'my heads battered!' thanks for the link VC at least I gleaned that you have a cracking sense of humour!

Comment

• Its not humour, hortus - I'm just nuts - everyone will tell you so.

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      Its not humour, hortus - I'm just nuts - everyone will tell you so.
                      She really really is
                      But be very very carful..............it's catching

Comment

• A little update - just because I want to introduce Beth to all you lovely people.

On 20th January (Fruits week) I sowed Beth Alpha Cucumbers and Zucchini courgettes.
                        Here is one of the Beth Cukes. Isn't she sweet?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9501.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	2377396

There are 3 more cuke plants in the GH and 3 courgettes planted out. I "think" I can see the first female flower developing.

I'm well pleased with the cucumbers as they're usually quite temperamental. Beth seems very good natured.

Comment

• Very well done VC.

Do you think your early starting cucumbers will continue cropping throughout the season, or do you reckon you may have to bring forward some other plants for the second-half of the year ?

Comment

• I've not grown Beth Alpha before so don't know how she performs. Apparently, its all-female, parthenocarpic and, most importantly, I had a packet of free seeds that I was happy to experiment with.

Comment

• An update on Beth. She's allowed me to pick a cucumber nearly every day and I'm so impressed I've just planted another 6 seedlings in the GH.
                              Tomorrow is the start of Fruits week - it'll be peas, broad beans and runner beans to sow. I know its not the "right" time to sow broads but that won't stop me.
                              I've stopped sowing tomatoes, cucumbers and squashes for a few months. May experiment with a few late sown ones in August.

Comment

• Tomorrow is the start of Shoots week and also the first A.S. week (After Solstice) when my plans turn towards some of the Oriental vegetables - and Fennel, both Florence and herb.
                                Must consult Joy Larkcom's books to see what can be sown now.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X