Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is is time to move my Chilli plant oustide?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potting up will help it to get bigger, chilies roots seem to sense the size of the pot and the plant won't grow bigger till you give them more space. But I totally agree with Scarlet that maybe you should just pot it up on a just slighter bigger pot, instead of a 10l one. It is much more practical and will give the roots some space to signal the plant to grow more.

Comment

Chili plant got fed at breakfast time with a week feed them lunch time washed the leaves gently with a soapy kitchen roll. Tomorrow will try to find a small pot (do you think a normal flower pot size will do) as when I washed the leaves as leggy it wobbled a bit and don't want to lose it now!
      Attached Files

Comment

Well, imo that pot isn't helping...here's a pic of my chillies..taken early June.
        you'll find if you pot on, it will gave a growth spurt and look much healthier.

#and get a magnifying glass out as I'm sure Bramble is spot on - you've got a problem..those puckered leaves are a definate sign that you have aphids.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Scarlet; 03-08-2016, 09:36 PM.

Comment

WoW, you've got a proper chili bush there Scarlet! Mine has also a lot of foliage but nothing so dense! slugs and aphids made sure of it...

Comment

That was a lucky pic! it's a Jalepeno and grew well from the start.

Post some photos of your chillies in here Ryez we all like yo be nosey...its worth a look if you like growing chillies.
            http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...tering-73.html

Comment

Wow ur chilli plant looks amazing.
              Have been scrummaging around trying to find a pot the right size in the shed and nothing
              Find a storage jam jar (see pic) I know not ideal but will have to wait til weekend til I go to shops

I'm all new to this so please forgive me and all my posts
              Attached Files
              Last edited by jacks10; 04-08-2016, 02:00 PM.

Comment

We love new growers! Post away Jack - we all have to start at the beginning. I often get a few pots out of the recycling bin at my local large garden centre. Where are you based?

Comment

Jacks, you don't have to spend a fortune on buying pots - ask some of the others on here - be cheeky, go to M0rrisons and ask if they have any flower buckets (usually really cheap, even free!!)

Garden centres will usually have some going free at the checkout - if you don't see any ~ ask.....!!!!!

That glass jar your chill plant in looks lovely - BUT, bet there's not any drainage holes in the bottom - your chilli plant will soon become waterlogged - go find a container of some sort, with drainage holes - or a pot that you can bodge some holes in yourself.....!!!
                  ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
                  a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
                  - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

I have just walked the dog to our little garden centre based at the bottom of the south downs 15 minute walk. Have purchased a decorative plastic pot for a couple of quid. It's larger than I wanted it to be about 22cm in height and 27cm in diameter so will not sit on windswill now.

So will repot tomorrow as now completly exhausted with this vegetable growing plus just realised I need a saucer with a lip as it will be in left in the conservatory
                    Aaarrrggghhh!
                    Last edited by jacks10; 04-08-2016, 04:50 PM.

Comment

It will be worth it when you get some fruit on there!

Comment

Thank you Scarlet, will do as soon as a few more chilies appear, they are starting to look really nice!

The pot you purchased is great for it, your plant will grow a lot more and hopefully will give you a lot of chilies, mine already has several growing and many more flowers! Pot size matters! Definitely worth it!

Comment

It's me again! Now been re potted squished with soapy water. Propped up with a few bamboo sticks and cable tie and in its new home the conservatory.
                          A few more questions then I will leave all u move people alone for a while at least.
                          When do I pinch? When watering do I do above or on the roots as I know show plants don't like to get leaves wet and finally do I carry on squishing with soapy watee?

Thank you again and enjoy the weekend
                          Attached Files

Comment

Much better!
                            Yes, always water at the bottom, never from the top so the leaves and flowers don't get wet. I don't personally pinch my chillies. Just let them grow, give them a light tomato feed every now and then. I don't think you need to wash them again except if you see many bugs on them, i.e. aphids. Have fun!

Comment

Chilli plant is doing well in its new home. Had a good feed over the weekend. Now had 4 new flowers appearing. The first flower is now turning brown. Is this because it's inside and not pollinating. I have been doing some reading so I won't have to keep asking questions every 2 minutes

Comment

Hi Jack, that's great! You will need to hand pollinate it, you could use your fingers or a vibrating toothbrush, I include a video link here. Your plant is a bit small, so shaking might be too much, so the vibrating toothbrush is best, alternatively, you can just tap it a bit with your finger, that's what I did with my tomatoes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u5UoZIoaWY

The flower petals might go brown when the peppers start growing, as they are not needed anymore.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X