No announcement yet.

Nine Star perennial broccoli/cauliflower

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've ordered some too But got to wait till May like Thelma for them to come.
    Carrie

Comment

I've sown some this year and have four seedlings about 3" high at the moment. How many plants would I need to get a decent one meal picking each time?
      http://www.weeveggiepatch.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        Perennial Caulis again - 3rd year - lots of "branches" at ground level. Haven't picked any yet but they're getting bigger every day.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79761[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79762[/ATTACH]

Does anyone else have these?
        Looks fab!!!
        http://www.weeveggiepatch.blogspot.com

Comment

Not sure about "Nine Star" - I've just been to see how mine are doing and, apart from the second one showing signs of forming heads, I've counted 13 side heads plus the main head on my first one to start. It's possible I missed some around the back too.
          Still not big enough to pick though, I'd judge the main head as slightly smaller than a golf ball so it's got time to grow further yet I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders
            They are on my 'list of things to try' but still haven't got round to it
            Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
            I've ordered some plants for May delivery
            Just got an email saying they've been posted

Comment

Mine have just come now
              Carrie

Comment

Mine are here as well

Comment

Here is a pic of my cut and come again cauli

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180520_174359.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	2378358
                  Carrie

Comment

How’s yours doing Thelma?

Mines been attacked by catapillas. Think I have manage to get them all off.
                    Carrie

Comment

No caterpillars, but they don't much like this heat, still forecast is for thunderstorms by the weekend, so I think they'll be fine in the long run

Comment

Mine are flowering and setting seed. Not sure how viable the seed will be as there are only a couple of plants.
                        I may take some sideshoot cuttings in a few weeks but they'll have to take their chances planted outdoors as I need to clear the covered area they're in now.

Comment

Mine are flowering and setting seed. Not sure how viable the seed will be as there are only a couple of plants.
                          Mine are weird. I bought and planted out three plants last autumn, which grew nicely even through winter. Of the three, the smallest one has produced a centre head and several side shoot heads, whilst the middle one produced a centre head, loads of side shoot heads and is STILL popping out side shoot heads. Dunno about nine-star, I think this one's trying for forty-nine star!!!
                          Meanwhile, the largest of the three has produced diddley-squat.

I may take some sideshoot cuttings in a few weeks
                          I plan on doing this in a couple of year's time, before the current ones get too old.
                          I planted out a PSB this week that I did as a test from my spring cropping PSBs, which appears to be growing well, and I have another still to plant out - if it decides to put on any stems or foliar growth instead of just roots. I'm quite chuffed with the first one, seeing as it's the first time I've tried taking cuttings of anything.

Comment

Its surprising how many brassicas can be propagated from cuttings.
                            One year I had a Hispi cabbage in the GH that fell over behind some pots and I forgot all about it. The stem was almost horizontal and, not only did it root along the stem, but it sent up a lot of little sideshoots. I broke some off and rooted them and left the parent Hispi to keep growing. It spread for a few feet and kept on sending up sideshoots. That cabbage lived for about 3 years in the GH and I only got rid of because I needed the space.

Found the old thread!! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...age_70033.html
                            Last edited by veggiechicken; 27-06-2018, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Its surprising how many brassicas can be propagated from cuttings.
                              One year I had a Hispi cabbage in the GH that fell over behind some pots and I forgot all about it. The stem was almost horizontal and, not only did it root along the stem, but it sent up a lot of little sideshoots. I broke some off and rooted them and left the parent Hispi to keep growing. It spread for a few feet and kept on sending up sideshoots. That cabbage lived for about 3 years in the GH and I only got rid of because I needed the space.

Found the old thread!! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...age_70033.html
                              I see in that thread that you rooted them in water.
                              I did mine in moist vermiculite (as per the article I saw which gave me the idea of trying) but, apart from ease of seeing any roots, is doing them just in water better?

Comment

Sorry, Chris, I've no idea which is better. I start most of my cuttings in water because its cheap and easy and you can see if they're rooting. Once they have a few roots I pot them up and know they're viable.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X