X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Its more like a football
    Circular and flat with a hole it it?
    At they are if you kick em into my garden!

Bah humbug

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Harvested the big 'ed today and the small 'ed from another plant

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72646[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]72647[/ATTACH]

They're both supposed to be Nine star and I thought the big'ed was supposed to be the size of a tennis ball Its more like a football
      Where are the other seven?
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Its the other 16 as there are 2 plants

Comment

I fancied trying it and tried to order some from Thomas Etty a couple of year ago. But he was out of stock too. Anyway, I think the very cold winter we just had would've killed them off.

Comment

I've got a few 9 star's germinating, seeds pretty old so I'm not expecting many, fingers crossed though. Plus I've also got some either Purple sprouting x 9 Star or open pollinated 9 Star growing, only on the seed leaf stage at the moment.
            Last edited by poly; 11-04-2017, 09:48 PM.
            Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Harvested the big 'ed today and the small 'ed from another plant

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72646[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]72647[/ATTACH]

They're both supposed to be Nine star and I thought the big'ed was supposed to be the size of a tennis ball Its more like a football
              Wow the biggies done well, I'm sure mine were never that size.
              Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

I fancied trying it and tried to order some from Thomas Etty a couple of year ago. But he was out of stock too. Anyway, I think the very cold winter we just had would've killed them off.
                It was a pretty mild winter here, so can't vouch for hardiness. My plants still died but I think it's because I left them go to seed.
                Last edited by poly; 11-04-2017, 09:51 PM.
                Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

2018 update

Perennial Caulis again - 3rd year - lots of "branches" at ground level. Haven't picked any yet but they're getting bigger every day.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9495.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	2377385

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9496.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	2377386

Does anyone else have these?

Comment

They are on my 'list of things to try' but still haven't got round to it

Comment

I've had three in the ground since last September - one of them appears to be starting to produce heads now. Looking forward to trying them.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]64048[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]64049[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]64050[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]64051[/ATTACH]

I grew these little fellas from seed last year

Can anyone tell me how big the heads grow? I've read "tennis ball size" but I don't think mine will grow that big. Just wondering when to cut some heads - presumably the central one is chopped first?
                        Attachments/photos don’t come up VC but I’m going to grow calabrese this year which I think is perennial. I’m sure that’s the same as broccoli isn’t it?

Kind Regards.............Rob

Comment

Spotted these today Second year of cropping. There are 2 plants, about 4' tall.

The main head
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]72501[/ATTACH]

Side shoots
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]72502[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]72503[/ATTACH]

I snapped off one side shoot by mistake - so its become a cutting (of course it was deliberate!)

Anyone else growing these?
                          These look really good VC. Might give them a try. Do they take up as much space as a normal cauliflower?

Comment

The old attachments went AWOL a year or so ago. It looked much the same then as it does now - but smaller.

Summer broccoli - the one with a large green head that's sold in shops - is Calabrese.
                            Sprouting broccoli has lots of flowering side shoots but is a one year only plant.
                            These perennial caulis last several years before they die.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite View Post
                              These look really good VC. Might give them a try. Do they take up as much space as a normal cauliflower?

They need more space than a normal cauli and they're there all year round for several years so you need to commit a spot to them - no rotation either.

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                                They are on my 'list of things to try' but still haven't got round to it
                                I've ordered some plants for May delivery

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X