No announcement yet.

Carolina reaper chilli

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love my chillis and i honestly believe that you can build up a tolerance to the heat but tbh this "hottest chilli" thing is just a bit of macho bs isnt it ?.
    Indeed the challenge is in the growing of them but i think most people appart from these yootoob fools would struggle to eat a whole Ceyenne never mind a reaper/ghostie etc

Or am i wrong?, you guys munch on habs often ?

Comment

I am not a hot chilli lover but do have a question for those that are.

The plant descriptions from the Bowns website describe fruity flavours, floral tastes and cherry chocolate etc. Do these super hots actually have flavours like these?
      I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Thats why im so keen to get a succsesfull satans kiss, red manzano, padron and a chilii pepper i found last week (forget its name a moment). Want to find a pepper with a kick that you can eat/stuff , a pretty tough kick, but not one that knocks your head into next week
        Hungarian black wax is supposed to be along those lines also i believe ? ( thanks scarlet).
        Last edited by jackarmy; 09-04-2016, 10:12 AM.

Comment

I use most of mine for jams, preserves, oils etc. I dont really eat super hot food but I do think lemon drop has a taste that goes with fish. Some chillies are so hot that I cant taste anything but heat though I love the plants. It's a bit like growing flowers for me I never waste any though.

Start with lemon drop Lumpy.

Comment

My 2 lemmon drops are looking really good Scarlet ( also thanks for them), two of the best looking ones i have atm.
            Dont get me wrong i love hot stuff and also use mine for hot jams and sauces, i also eat off the vine so to speak, just cant resist trying them but to munch a whole reaper would finish my guts off i reckon

Comment

I've never had success growing chillies so the plants from DT Browns are a baptism of fire, I also go to a pub that's also an Indian restaurant and Danny the owner sometime gets told some of his curries aren't hot enough.

It's in a rural village in Leicestershire but those that think they are macho and can eat a really hot curry will be in for a shock as I'm taking some of them in for Dannys chef to do his magic and challenge the locals if they can eat them in a curry.

Saying that I've just checked my Cayene pepper seeds and I've now got 2 dozen seedlings I've potted on from those that germinated in the airing cupboard.
              The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy View Post
                I am not a hot chilli lover but do have a question for those that are.

The plant descriptions from the Bowns website describe fruity flavours, floral tastes and cherry chocolate etc. Do these super hots actually have flavours like these?
                You're likely to get a sense of the flavour for about a second before the heat melts your face.

Comment

sorry to further hijack this thread but its the only one ive been able to get on lol, site is dead and i mean DEAD alow for me.

Comment

I think everyone's been having problems Jack... I couldn't get on at all on Wednesday night :O

Comment

Originally posted by jackarmy View Post
                      sorry to further hijack this thread but its the only one ive been able to get on lol, site is dead and i mean DEAD alow for me.
                      I've been struggling for days! Don't give up, I've got prairie fire to germinate for the fist time, I need your help! I've also had a hab grow!!!its about 2 cm now! Come on mate, this wouldn't have happened without your experience and advice, chin up, us chilli growers need you

Comment

I too got a packet of 10 Carolina reaper seeds, placed them on kitchen paper put in a plastic bag kept near the boiler, eight weeks nothing happened, Was just about to abandon the idea when Bingo 9 seeds sprouted so now I have nine plants waiting to plant out. Thanks for the warning about how lethal they are I am only used to handling habaneros.

guyos

Comment

8 weeks ?. strewth fair play , thats what you call patiance, congrats.
                          Last edited by jackarmy; 16-04-2016, 08:35 AM.

Comment

I was given some Reaper seeds, and although I can't imagine actually eating them, I couldn't resist the temptation to try and grow them.
                            I could only get one of the nine seeds to germinate, after about 17 days in a basic heated propagator. The seedling then failed to thrive while it's cooler cousins established themselves on a sunny window sill.

I'd say that if you're going to grow 'superhots' like the Reaper, then you'll need to consider all sorts of heat and light arrangements to get decent results.

Comment

i think most people appart from these yootoob fools would struggle to eat a whole Ceyenne never mind a reaper/ghostie etc

Want to find a pepper with a kick that you can eat/stuff , a pretty tough kick, but not one that knocks your head into next week
                              Definitely agree with that, Jack. I sometimes have a nibble of a Lemon Drop freshly picked, but only the tip where it's mildest. I gently grind it with my front teeth, and then it releases it's oils and the lemon taste it is known for becomes apparent. I'd find a whole one chewed up raw quite unpleasant. The only time I'd consider eating a raw scotch bonnet (and this in itself is mild compared to the naga's, moruga etc) would be for a bet, and then only if I was really skint!

The plant descriptions from the Bowns website describe fruity flavours, floral tastes and cherry chocolate etc. Do these super hots actually have flavours like these
                              If you know how to cook with chilli maybe the heat of superhots can be regulated and flavour allowed to come through. Not something I've experienced at any rate - last time I tried cooking with a Moruga (1/4 of a small'ish fruit) I just got intense, blistering, dominating heat that all but ruined the dish. I bought Naga and orange jam at one of the festivals last year, and I couldn't taste the orange at all. Might as well have not been in there. Lower down the heat scale it all changes. Sauces, jams, pickles, relishes, these are the best foodstuffs IMO to properly experience all the chillies have to offer; I've got a habanero, mango and lime sauce in the fridge and it's beautiful over fresh strawberries - I can easily taste the fruitiness of the pepper over the mango and background heat. More complex dishes e.g. a curry and there'd be a lot of competing strong flavours, so the individual pepper 'bouquet' (not heat) may well be lost.
                              Last edited by Philthy; 15-04-2016, 10:35 PM.

Comment

I believe some people that cook with chilli's all the time never eat the super hots. They put a whole chill in the dish they are cooking and remove it before serving. Apparently that is more than enough to do whatever is needed. Can't remember where I got that information. It maybe complete BS.
                                What ever you do with your super hots, just give them the respect they deserve. Because they are more than capable of hospitalising you.
                                Right I'm off for a chat with my Naga's and ghost scorpion's

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X