Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Carrot Challenge - Grow carrots with me in 2016!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally got round to starting this and sowed some chantenay red in a bucket on Saturday. Went out this morning to take out the bin and noticed it has frozen solid! Hopefully something will come up, but I won't hold my breath for this batch. On the plus side on Sunday I got 32 new flower buckets from M'sons - now I have enough to do this challenge

Comment

When I've tried to grow carrots on the plot mine have always been hit by the root fly, those that they missed were taken care of by the slugs !!!!

Might have a go at growing em in pots, that way I can at least give em a change of getting half decent ones to grow before some other root munching monster gets hold of em.
      The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

Pots, copper tape and insect mesh will keep off all the carrot fly and most of the slugs. If the mesh touches the foliage the slugs will climb up it onto the carrots, but by this time the damage is minimal.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Yesterday sowed a pot of Chantenay Royal. In my blow away next to last weeks Beta 111.

Comment

2nd indoor pot of Nantes Frubund Fastcrop have germinated.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

3rd Bucket sown - Cosmic Purple - in GH
              "Sowing March - April for earliest finger roots in approx 75 days.
              Sow May - June as a maincrop, lift and store for winter use"...........We'll see

To date:-

22 Feb - Amsterdam 3 (Sprint). Tiny little seedlings emerging today

29 Feb - Kormano F1

9 March - Cosmic Purple
              Last edited by veggiechicken; 09-03-2016, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Sowed pot 2.
                Early Scarlet Horn in the greenhouse.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Has anyone tried them outside yet - under fleece or something like that ?

I'm gagging to get started, might do this weekend.
                  .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

I'm going to put my 2 growhouses up this weekend. Is it still to cold to sow things like carrots in there or will they be OK?

Comment

• You could sow your carrots in buckets and keep them indoors until they germinate as Penellype does. That gives you a couple of weeks for the weather to improve.

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        You could sow your carrots in buckets and keep them indoors until they germinate as Penellype does. That gives you a couple of weeks for the weather to improve.
                        There'd be absolute hell to pay in this house if I had anymore stuff germinating around the place. I think I'd be living in one of my growhouses.

Comment

• ^^^ What Scoot said.
                          .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

• Best if you put those growhouses up soon then

Comment

• I've actually sown a pot of carrots outside earlier this week - they are Marion, which is described as cold tolerant. I have put a plastic cloche over them though.

Comment

• Hi everyone, how many seeds do you sow in these flower pots?
                                sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X