Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Carrot Challenge - Grow carrots with me in 2016!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My grandaughter has just sown a black flower bucket of Nantes and challenged me to sow a bucket of James Scarlet............god help me if mine are better than hers - she's 9 and very scarey

Comment

Can I start next weekend, please??!!
      Just checked through seed packets and have plenty of carrots to start ...
      ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
      a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
      - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

Welcome on board the Carrot Nutter's bus, Susie

Comment

Is the challenge bucket specific? I've got plenty of space down the lotty and in the polytunnel but not much in the way of buckets!

I've got about 6 different varieties to get me started, including some afghan purple from the HSL I'm keen to try.
          Gardens are not made by singing 'Oh, how beautiful,' and sitting in the shade.

— Rudyard Kipling

Comment

There are no rules, Neil, we make them up as we go along
            Stagger your sowings and let us know how you get on!!

Comment

Sowed 16 seeds of Nantes Frubund Fastcrop in a pot indoors, covered with a plastic bag to keep the moisture in and put in the spare bedroom where it is quite warm. I did the same thing 2 days earlier last year but had to put them outside in very early March due to nowhere light enough to put them. This year I have some taller grow lights so I am hoping to keep them indoors a bit longer.
              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                There are no rules, Neil, we make them up as we go along
                Stagger your sowings and let us know how you get on!!
                In that case, I'm in too!

I made my first sowing on 18th Feb in a bucket in the cold greenhouse. No sign of germination yet. I won't sow the next lot until these ones have come through.
                My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I'd like to have a go at this challenge. Will have to wait till March and will only be fortnightly.

Comment

Didnt get to sow my carrots today as I had decided ,as the car is off the road and Imnever got to s garden centre to buy some carrot seeds. I will catch up soon.

And when your back stops aching,
                    And your hands begin to harden.
                    You will find yourself a partner,
                    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I'll start mine on March 1st as I don't get paid until Friday Will have a browse in Wilko or online and see if there's any other varieties that catch my eye.
                      If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

Sowed my first bucket today, in Jack's Magic compost.

Amsterdam 3 (Sprint). "Unbeatable for baby carrots"
                        This was the only variety in my seed stash that could be sown in January - and through to July. May try it for a late sowing too.

Comment

Originally posted by Gillykat View Post
                          I'll start mine on March 1st as I don't get paid until Friday Will have a browse in Wilko or online and see if there's any other varieties that catch my eye.
                          Cant think of a better day to start anything tbh Gillycat

Last edited by veggiechicken; 22-02-2016, 09:55 PM.

Comment

My seed packets say to sow from March - do I need to wait until after the last frost?

Comment

No, they can cope with the odd cold night. But they won't germinate in cold wet soil so if you're growing in cold clay soil like me you should wait a few weeks yet. I've done some in a bucket in the greenhouse though, they will be warm enough there in compost even though there's some frosty nights forecast for the next week.
                              My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                              Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I'm determined to get carrots this year. The last few years the slugs always get them so I'm sowing some in the ground at our sluggy plot under enviromesh, some at out slightly less sluggy and less heavy soiled, but slightly stony plot under fleece, some at home in half a dustbin in the greenhouse and seeing as you lot are, I might get some flower buckets on the go too. If I can't get at least a meals worth this way I may as well give up.

I'm gonna get the kids at school growing some as well. Will start earlier this year, as they were puny last year. They were still ridiculously excited about finding them in the soil though. Dread to think what their parents thought when they took them home.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X