Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Carrot Challenge - Grow carrots with me in 2016!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Pene Good to hear your experiences.
    I'll see how they look at 12 weeks and if they're still carrotlings, I'll keep sowing until they're worthwhile.
    When is your first and last sowing made?

Comment

Last year this is what I did at home (at my friend's the carrots were sown into the soil, which is never as good as the slugs get at them):
      20 Feb sowed 2 small pots Nantes Frubund Fastcrop - harvested when small from 3 Jun to 24 Jun.
      10 Mar sowed 18" square pot Marion - harvest from 19 Jun (finger width) to 29 Aug when a decent size.
      24 Mar sowed 18" square pot Nantes Frubund Fastcrop - harvest from 5 Jul. Just about finished harvesting these - the biggest were about 2 inches across and 8 inches long.
      2 Apr sowed 18" square pot Autumn King - harvest from 24 Oct to 4 Jan. Disappointingly short carrots, possibly due to using old seed (grown only for 100 variety challenge).
      9 Apr sowed 18" square pot Eskimo - started harvesting at beginning of Feb. Medium sized carrots.
      11 May sowed Nantes Frubund Fastcrop in the same pot as the earlier ones, to fill in gaps. Harvesting these now, obviously rather smaller than the earlier ones.
      16 May sowed 30 litre pot Nantes 2 - harvested from 3 Sep (finger sized). These did not grow very big as I sowed them too thickly. (This is a variety I normally grow only at my friend's house - these were grown at home only for the 100 variety challenge).
      21 May sowed 30 litre pot Marion - harvested 17 Sep to 13 Oct, carrots were small due to being sown too thickly.
      20 Jul sowed 18" square pot Marion - carrots appear to be about finger thickness but have not yet been disturbed.

Bear in mind that all my carrots are grown in fairly heavy shade (especially the Eskimo, which got the worst deal last year). They might grow quicker and would probably be bigger if grown in the sun.
      Last edited by Penellype; 14-02-2016, 08:01 PM.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Thanks! They're taking a lot longer to grow than I expected Looks like I need 16 buckets on the go

Comment

Yep, I'm up for the carrot/bucket challenge.
          I won't start until next month though, as I'll be growing outdoors.
          Still, I will sow 2 bucket's worth each week for a period of 10 weeks.
          I'm looking forward to it as I've failed miserably over the years trying to grow them in the ground.
          .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Although I am not joining you in your challenge, I think you are a bit optimistic & would sow one bucket every 2 weeks for 20 weeks. I think 12 weeks is too soon.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

#4 As one of the greats once said "Ones mans pet is another mans..............Dinner"
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I'll join in but I will struggle to do a sowing a week, might have to make it fortnightly.
                Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

I will give this a go, I wanted to have a go at growing carrots anyway

Just need to grab some appropriate buckets.

Comment

Lucky me, who normally has no probs with carrots in very long purpose built container, has decided to on them in flower buckets this year.
                    One every three weeks would be about right for us.
                    Also, not doing winter carrots this year.
                    Nannys make memories

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      I'm going to use sifted soil/compost. Think you can use builder's sand in the mix if you have any.
                      You want to use grit sand. Builders sand is too dense
                      When you have a hammer in your hand everything around you starts looking like a nail.

Comment

That is a lot of carrots VC, hope you like them, but then again lots of peeps will buy a bag a week and the pups might like them.
                        I tried a similar thing last year and it went terribly wrong, i used 8 litre water bottles (with lots of holes) in the hope of baby carrots nope it got far too hot and they all died.

I have a few spare pots and 1000´s of different seeds so might give it a go but summer months i will have to back out
                        I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

What a lovely little Chicken you are VC..................

Another excuse to get more buckets....................

One MFB every 3 weeks would suit us fine so I only need another 63 buckets..................Oh dear a typing error.................Please don't tell HIM as he has started to blache when he spots me mooching around the flower aisle.

Nantes 5, Eskimo, Artemis and Romance it is then..............now should I use 1 bucket per carrot variety............ummmmmm!
                          Last edited by Lumpy; 15-02-2016, 01:01 PM.
                          I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Ooooh I'm in!

Grew my first carrots last summer in the polytunnel and had a vole eat all the tops Caught vole and removed from tunnel and carrots regrew. Got some lovely sweet small ones and left others in but they ended up with a touch of carrot fly....not that hubby noticed as I just trimmed the maggoty top bits off...what he doesn't know cannot hurt him haha.

I'd actually planned to try growing them in tubs this year and as the previous tenant of my plot has conveniently left a few flower buckets I can get started soon. Won't be until next weekend though as I've ran out of compost!

Had a dig in my seed tub and found three varieties ~ Chantenay Red Cored 2, Royal Chantenay 3 and Flyaway F1. What varieties are we all trying?

Attached Files
                            If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

I will play. I've found some flower buckets. Think I will be sowing fortnightly and using 10 buckets. As I have 10 varieties of carrots.

Comment

Originally posted by Nannysally99 View Post
                                Also, not doing winter carrots this year.
                                It certainly takes all kinds. Winter carrots is the only thing I grow. I really like them, but after a winter and spring of eating carrots I'm glad I can eat something else for half a year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X