Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Carrot Challenge - Grow carrots with me in 2016!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SusieG, they are very slow to get going in this cold weather. My first sowing, also in an unheated greenhouse, took over three weeks to show. They weren't covered with anything other than a thin layer of compost.
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• Sowed Nantes Frubund Fastcrop in an 18 inch pot outside today. These should be my main crop carrots to take me through the autumn and first part of the winter.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Cheers Martin, guess I'll just have to be patient?? ...
        Just keep expecting to see a little sign of something going on in there!!!
        ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
        a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
        - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

• My first bucket has started germinating
          Autumn King 2. sown on 1st March.

Comment

• Originally posted by SusieG View Post
            Cheers Martin, guess I'll just have to be patient?? ...
            Just keep expecting to see a little sign of something going on in there!!!
            Susie, I started mine in the unheated greenhouse as well. Dont know whether it helped but I have the pot wrapped in several layers of fleece and I put a sheet of glass over the top of the bucket.
            Last edited by bramble; 19-03-2016, 11:20 AM.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• FINALLY! One bucket of cosmic purple sown today. Will do another next weekend

Comment

• One spike of green on my bucket of Flyaway F1 yesterday
                If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

• Can anybody recommend a short early carrot that i can plant in the ground now with fleece on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                    My first bucket has started germinating
                    Autumn King 2. sown on 1st March.
                    Oh good, this makes me feel better. Mine were sown on the 5th and I was starting to worry about them. I'll give them another week before worrying again!

I've still not got round to sowing a second batch though!

Comment

• I find carrots take at least 3 weeks to germinate at this time of year unless they are given some heat. My Marion sown outdoors with a cloche cover on 6th March has not appeared yet.
                      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• My second pot of carrots, Scarlet Horn, sown on Thursday 10th March, have germinated, after 12 days.
                        Last edited by bramble; 22-03-2016, 06:18 PM. Reason: spellingverror

And when your back stops aching,
                        And your hands begin to harden.
                        You will find yourself a partner,
                        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Late carrot sowing update! 17/03/2016
                          Sowed some finger carrots 'Nandor F1' and round baby carrots 'Atlas' in a pot and a in a trough made from a 20 litre container.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Those 20lt container work very well as pots I've got one. Unfortunately it's not designated to carrot growing. It's going to be the home of a chilli.
                            I will be back later to let you all know what carrots I've sown in bucket number 3. A few days Late sowing because of being away.

Comment

• Bucket number 3 sown with Yellowstone.
                              Bucket number 1 ( sown 1st March) Autumn King 2 thinned out.

Comment

• Sowed my second pot on 20th March - Jaune du Doubs.

No sign of anything stirring in the first pot, but it is outside in the cold and the sun is only just beginning to reach the garden at last.
                                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                                Endless wonder.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X