Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Carrot Challenge - Grow carrots with me in 2016!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think I will join in as well. I can never get decent carrots so this time I am going to give it my best shot.
    I will start off next Monday.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

My downfall with carrots is I never remember to repeat sow. I sow all my carrots at the same time then all the dedicated carrot space is full. So this challenge will be good for me. Will still be filling my usual carrot bed, 3 potato bag and 3 small tubs ( for the little stumpy fellas ). Starting carrot sowing and challenge begins of March.

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
        I will play. I've found some flower buckets. Think I will be sowing fortnightly and using 10 buckets. As I have 10 varieties of carrots.
        I found some flower buckets too... mine might have been in Morissons at the time I found them though

Comment

Can I play too?

I have buckets and a draughty greenhouse (the door's gone for a burton).
          I don't think I'll be doing a bucket a week but I'll do a bucket every time I happen across more carrot seed!

I'm thinking I will stick seeds to a square of kitchen roll to get nice spacing and then plant that in my flower buckets.
          Also, when the weather improves, I am going to stash my carrot buckets in amongst the flower beds...camoflage for the carrots and pretty green foliage for my flowers.

I've got some kids playsand...is that too fine?
          http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I'd like to join but I'm struggling to locate these mysterious Morribogs flower buckets! Where do you lot find them?!

I have 17L hadopots - would these be any good instead? (if I have enough of them!)

Comment

When you go in Morrisins theres usually a couple of display tables with reduced cakes, bread etc.. in our morrisons the buckets are hidden underneath!
              <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Originally posted by vixylix View Post
                I'd like to join but I'm struggling to locate these mysterious Morribogs flower buckets! Where do you lot find them?!

I have 17L hadopots - would these be any good instead? (if I have enough of them!)
                Our local Morrifellows has a flowers/plants area with a designated member of staff there - I just ask her, and she's normally got a few bundles of '8 for 99p' hidden away. It is quite a big store though.

Does your local Morrifellows sell flowers ? - if so, they'll probably have them but maybe not on show.
                .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Got mine from Lidl Vixy

And yesterday the first one had some Nantes early seeds popped into it and is now sitting in the greenhouse producing roots for my fresh coleslaw for the bunnyburgers at bbq time
                  Last edited by jackarmy; 17-02-2016, 07:24 PM.

Comment

thanks all - maybe I need to search harder!!

Comment

Originally posted by vixylix View Post

As long as the pots are deep enough for carrots it doesn't matter what you use
                      Asd@ & Coop are other bucket givers. My corner shop sells flowers and gives away the buckets for a donation to charity.

Comment

I've never really grown in pots before.

I was to mainly intending to fill the buckets with a mixture of mpc, coir and sand - with loo roll inners on top filled with seeding compost to enable me to 'space' the carrots out.

I've got some chicken manure pellets and some growmore - would there be any point in adding either to the compost mixture ?

Or would a regular liquid feed once growth has been established be the more favourable way ?
                        Last edited by KevinM67; 18-02-2016, 11:06 AM.
                        .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
                          I think 12 weeks is optimistic VC.
                          Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                          Thanks! They're taking a lot longer to grow than I expected Looks like I need 16 buckets on the go
                          Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                          Although I am not joining you in your challenge, I think you are a bit optimistic & would sow one bucket every 2 weeks for 20 weeks. I think 12 weeks is too soon.
                          No wonder my carrots are so small. I'm just too impatient. I'm not sure I can wait 20 weeks what a long time! Note to self, must learn patience with carrots
                          Last edited by mothhawk; 18-02-2016, 07:55 PM.
                          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                          Endless wonder.

Comment

I definitely don't think I gave mine 20 weeks last year either - in hindsight I'm not sure why I pulled them up at all! You live and learn

Comment

Oh my, i have just been through my seeds and i have 24 different varieties and 39 packs of carrot seeds!!! really why the hell do i have that many, i donīt even grow carrots.
                              I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lisasbolt View Post
                                oh my, i have just been through my seeds and i have 24 different varieties and 39 packs of carrot seeds!!! Really why the hell do i have that many, i donīt even grow carrots.
                                you do now
                                sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X